Are Terrorists Crossing Arizona Border Into U.S.?

On a single day in April, in a special cell block deep inside the Pinal County Jail, nearly 400 inmates sat awaiting trial or extradition after being detained trying to cross the Arizona border from Mexico.
Only about half of them were actually from Mexico.
The cell block, owned by Pinal County, but contracted with the Department of Homeland Security, is a way station in the immigration process, where inmates are held after they are detained by the Border Patrol or Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
But it’s where the inmates are from that causes concern for some critics and lawmakers.On that one day in April, according to records obtained by ABC 15, Homeland Security officials were holding inmates from Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Egypt, Lebanon, and the Sudan.“They’re coming from all over,” Arizona Senator Jon Kyl said. “And one wonders whether some of them are coming in here to commit acts of terror.”
Read Full Article

According to the article, of the 45,279 undocumented immigrants classified as "Other Than Mexico" in 2009, the vast majority were from other Central American countries like El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala.

Officials also arrested 10 undocumented immigrants from Iran, 10 from Iraq, six from Lebanon and 19 from Pakistan. However, the article doesn't say if any of these 45 persons were terrorists, or had ties to terrorist organizations.

it wouldn't surprise me if terrorists were also crossing the arizona border into the u.s.

what worries me, however, is how many were able to cross without being caught? :eek:

[quote="Dale_M, post:2, topic:202761"]
According to the article, of the 45,279 undocumented immigrants classified as "Other Than Mexico" in 2009, the vast majority were from other Central American countries like El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala.

Officials also arrested 10 undocumented immigrants from Iran, 10 from Iraq, six from Lebanon and 19 from Pakistan. However, the article doesn't say if any of these 45 persons were terrorists, or had ties to terrorist organizations.

[/quote]

Even if they did have connections the news or the governemnt wouldn't report it.

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:3, topic:202761"]
it wouldn't surprise me if terrorists were also crossing the arizona border into the u.s.

what worries me, however, is how many were able to cross without being caught? :eek:

[/quote]

One should remember that there is a significant Middle Eastern population in many Central American countries - the majority of whom are of Christian origin. Antonio Saca, the former President of El Salvador was the child of Palestinian immigrants for Bethlehem. Former President Jorge Serrano Elías of Guatemala is of Lebanese descent, as is Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim. The Lebanese diaspora in Latin America numbers 2.5 million, the Iraqi diaspora 500,000, the Palestinian diaspora 350,000, and the Iranian diaspora 100,000. Many of them retain their original citizenship - I suspect these may account for a majority of the insignificant amount of 45 Middle Eastern undocumented immigrants crossing the Mexican border.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.