Are the Anglican ordinariates going to be viable?

As an Episcopalian who is looking seriously at the ordinariates (and becoming Catholic thereby), I am starting to wonder if they will be viable entities in the end. I get the impresson that in England, the ordinariate is under considerable strain financially, despite 2 Million pound in initial donations (1 from the British Bishops, and one from an Anglican high church priestly society). It seems that the numbers are fairly small so far, perhaps just over 1,000 laypersons, but something like 200 priests.

I fear that if the venture is not financially self-sustaining, it may not succeed, or not succeed as presently constituted.

Also, there is no word as to when the US ordinariate will be set up, except “by the end of 2011”. I get the feeling something is up, but what exactly I don’t know. I e-mailed two priests, and got a response from one of them. Perhaps the one who didn’t respond is about to be named Ordinary, but I really don’t know.

Does anyone know anything that would cheer me up?

I think that the short-term option would be to go to any catholic church, and to be confirmed as catholic then to wait until there is an Anglican Ordinariate Church nearby that you can regularly attend. Certainly, I would not be putting it off.

I do understand that the Anglican/Episcopal Churches have their own liturgical traditions and that you may wish to maintain and preserve these, but remember that you can be Catholic and attend mass and recieve sacraments from any of the 23 Catholic Churches (Latin Church and the 22 Eastern Churches such as the Maronites, Melkites, etc)

I wholeheartedly agree.

I was a dedicated Anglo-Catholic. After much prayerful consideration, I attended RCIA classes at a local parish in the Detroit area, and ‘crossed the Tiber’ last year. Although there are things about Anglican liturgy that I sincerely miss, ( Is there anything in all of Chrisendom as eloquent as the Collect for Purity*, or the phrase ‘Read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest’?) and would consider attending an Anglican Use parish, should one be formed in the Detroit area, I am very happy with my decision to become a Catholic.

For one thing, I find a much keener sense of joyful spirituality in the Catholic Church, and a much greater level of dedication among both clergy and lay people. I am also impressed by the ethic and racial diversity of the Roman Church. I am convinced that I am now a member of the ‘true Christian Church’ , and that ‘via media’ is illusionary.

If you believe, as Anglo-Catholics surely do, in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist; the Catholic Church is your spiritual home.

My conversion had nothing to do with gay bishops or women priests, but rather a recognition that Christian unity is of the utmost importance in a war-torn and divided world. The Body of Christ must stand undivided in the face of human sin.

The viability of the Ordinariate is irrelevant. The Body of Christ is always viable, always animated by the Holy Spirit. I urge you to join us–more importantly to join Him. You will not regret it.

*“Almighty God, unto whom all hearts are open, all desires known, and from whom no secrets are hid; cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of thy Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love thee, and worthily magnify thy Holy Name; through Christ our Lord.”

This, of course, is the most correct approach. But I am not willing, at this point, to simply join the Catholic Church. It needs to be both a personal and a corporate entrance. I have been in touch with a US Anglican Use priest who is close to the ordinariate process, and he did not proffer the advise you give. I have waited a while, I can wait some more.

[quote="hartleymartin, post:2, topic:260817"]
I think that the short-term option would be to go to any catholic church, and to be confirmed as catholic then to wait until there is an Anglican Ordinariate Church nearby that you can regularly attend. Certainly, I would not be putting it off.

I do understand that the Anglican/Episcopal Churches have their own liturgical traditions and that you may wish to maintain and preserve these, but remember that you can be Catholic and attend mass and recieve sacraments from any of the 23 Catholic Churches (Latin Church and the 22 Eastern Churches such as the Maronites, Melkites, etc)

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.