Are the Disciples true martyrs?

I just want to know why the disciples who became martyrs are any different than the thousands of martyrs from various other religions like jihadists, 9/11 terrorists, the 1963 buddhist burning. There are many people who will go to death for their faith, so why are the disciples any different? Why are they “true” martyrs?

Also is there any real evidence outside of the bible for the disciples’s martyrdom?

Because they died in defense of their religion, not offense. The 9/11 terrorists were attacking others, not defending themselves.

I think the bible only gives a brief sentence on how James died, saying that Herod had him “put to death with the sword".

I can’t find anything else in the bible on any of the other apostle’s deaths.
Can anyone else?

Outside of the bible, there doesn’t seem to be any other reliable ancient records on how any of the other apostles may have died for certain.

But there are some later legendary accounts, like the martyr ones you mention, that became church tradition.

1. There religion is true.
  2. They were killed by other people, rather than by themselves.

According to tradition, the only apostle who wasn’t a martyr was John the evangelist. He died at a very old age (near 100). I think there is a reference to this at the end of the Gospel of John. Jesus predicts he would not die a martyr’s death. Perhaps that is why he entrusted his mother to John’s care after he died.

Peter’s death is referred to at the end of the Gospel of John, where Jesus tells him “when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go” (John 21:18).

But most of the accounts of martyrdom are a matter of tradition.

To the OP, yes there are many people who will die for their faith. God will judge each of them according to their own consciences, circumstances, and actions. We may expect to see many of such people in heaven.

We know the apostles, and Christain martyrs in general, were “true” martyrs because (from our perspective) they died for the truth. We can be certain that their actions were good. For other martyrs, we are not certain either way and leave them to God’s judgement.

Assumes a false equivalence of beliefs.
Acknowledges the power of martyrdom but denies the truth of the cause.

The willingness of people to die for their beliefs is always powerful. It does not, however, solely establish the rectitude of those beliefs.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.