Are the Disney Tron movies religious?

I am posting this kind of late, since I saw the movie about a month or two ago and I don't remember everything that made me think it was sort of religious, but I just think parts of the movies are(the maker, the users, etc). The original Tron movie had much more than Tron Legacy, but still there is some in it. Does anyone else think there is religious symbolism in these movies?
:):)

There are indeed messianic attributes to the Tron character, even though in the end it's Flynn that destroys the evil master command program.

I though Tron was very much about how even in an electronic virtual world there would be a need of salvation sent into a corrupted world by that world's creator(the programmers of Tron). So in a word, yes, the first film did have delebrate religious allogory, even ending with a shot of the real "Tron".

Well yes but that goes for a lot of movies. It's a classic type of plot device. Dune, Harry Potter, Star Wars, The Matrix, among other all have a main character that redeems or saves the others from some sort of danger.

Unlike these other films, Tron makes it clear there are overarching religious allegories by focusing on the theme of Religion early in the film, in particular the opening dialog scene between the two imprisoned "Programs" and their Guard. So unlike Harry Potter, Matrix, and even it's own sequel, Tron focuses on these themes as the central core of the film, rather than a thematic backdrop.

They are religious in a sense with all the "users" references. I think the first film even refers to it as a religion.

--End of line

I've only seen the original Tron so far, but I'd definitely say it's "religious" in sense of being about religion. As the previous posters said, the discussion of "users" is central to the film. In sense, all the imprisoned programs are martyrs in that they stand up for their belief in users, even to the point of imprisonment and being derezzed.

I actually thought about this theology for a while after I watched the film. There seem to be too positions in the computer world: polytheism, or atheism. The imprisoned programs, such as Tron, believe in the "users" in the plural; the MCP and his programs believe that there are no users. Then I thought about the almost Incarnational theme: a user (the computer world's title for a deity) leaves the human world and takes on the form of his creation and then leads it to salvation from the enemy (the userless MCP). Unlike with Jesus Christ, this "Incarnation" takes place unwillingly, by the power of the enemy himself. This user-program's goal is not a selfless one of freeing the programs for their own sake: though he does end up seriously wanting to help them and joining with them, his original goal and end goal is to escape the computer world and return to his world of deities. Then there's also the fact, as I mentioned before, that there are many users: this a polytheistic world, a world more of household gods, where almost everyone has his own god who makes his own rules for his subjects. Plus, these deities are not all-powerful or even all-good: they are flawed and full of passions, as the gods of Greek and Roman mythologies were.

That's how I interpret the theology of Tron. Does it match Christianity? Definitely not. Does this mean that Tron is thus a part of Hollywood's sinister plot to destroy Christianity? I don't think so. Though the allegorical theology is flawed, I'm not sure if that's a reason to condemn it as blatantly anti-Christian.

I'm really not sure what to think about the theology of Tron. Above is how I interpreted it, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions: do you agree with my interpretation? Disagree? In the end, does the (in my mind) flawed theology make it a dangerous film? What are your thoughts on this? I don't put my opinion out there as infallible truth, but only as that: an opinion.

Hopefully my thoughts are of use to others. God bless!

--End of line

Yeah, sort of.

In the sense that it could be broken down as a metaphor version of Christianity. Although it is an imperfect and rather irreligious version that is quite imperfect.

[SPOILER] There are character parallels, such as
Kevin Flynn = God, or, The Creator
Sam Flynn = Son of God, or, The Creator
The Grid = Creation
CLU = Fallen Creation
Rinzler = A lost soul
Zuse / Castor = Secular Society
Tron = Redeemed soul

Also the metaphors of the arena being a parallel or 'dark mirror' of the Roman persecution of Christians, or in the sense of the movie, those who fight for the user.

The parallel between society seeking fulfilment in secular society, and the seeking of Zuse / Castor and finding nothing but conflict and pain.

Also my interpretation of the Mp3 programs (Daft Punk) being puppets of Castor is a sort of a mirror of secular societies controll of media.

But please note again that note that the movie is not a perfect paralell and makes the god figure out to be a stupid, blithering moron who is totally inept, and makes the saviour out as imperfect. [/SPOILER]

edit: it looks as if the spoiler tag isnt working,
although i assume those who read this have seen the movie, if not, try not to let this spoil the movie, its just a list of metaphors that are IMO only.

I strongly believe the Christ like character in this film is in fact Tron. He is the perfect program created especially by his user for the purpose of saving the digital relm from the destructive, evil MCP. That's why the movie is called Tron.

I think the character of Flynn is more like us... we have a soul tainted through sin by the devil(the MCP),
with Christ's(Tron) help we must navigate the corrupted world and fight our own small battles with sin and to try to rid this world of it. This is why Flynn destroys the master control program, he's freeing himself and the world from the sin he allowed to take over. Although the existence of the perfect Tron in a way ensures that world's salvation, Flynn, tainted by sin, must help Tron win, in order to free himself, prove his innocence and rid himself of the corruption he allowed to take over.

I know some see it diffrently, but that's how I saw it. Tron is like Christ and we are like the Flynns of this world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.