Are the Forums a sin???

Ok…I am spending to much time on here? Is the excess forum-usage a sin?
It started with my lunch hour at work. Then after my son went to sleep at night. Then there was first thing when I get to work, while my emails downloaded. Then, whenever I was on hold on the phone. Now I just keep a little Forums window open at the bottom of my screen. This is starting to feel like an addiction. Is there a support-group forum?

:wink: Lilder

Help is on the way.

Step One: Disable the reputation system.

it can be, but doesn’t have to be… :thumbsup:

Yes, I think they are :frowning: :wink: I should be tidying the house before going to Mass but here I am, avidly reading the posts. mea culpa, mea culpa I am afraid to go to confession and tell of my addiction ; the penance I will get will be mind boggling!! :eek:

You will have to type the rosary…:nerd:

-D

I worried about that at first, but found that it was just a temptation.

1. Are you neglecting your prayers?
  2. Are you neglecting your family?
  3. Are you neglecting your home,(not doing anymore housework)?
  4. Are you neglecting duties at work?

If you can truly answer yes to any of the above then I would consider limiting your time…but whatever you do, don’t give it up!!! Everything in moderation. There is so much to learn and share here…
Annunciata:)
p.s. IMHO, things that I would worry about

[quote=lilder]Ok…I am spending to much time on here? Is the excess forum-usage a sin?
It started with my lunch hour at work. Then after my son went to sleep at night. Then there was first thing when I get to work, while my emails downloaded. Then, whenever I was on hold on the phone. Now I just keep a little Forums window open at the bottom of my screen. This is starting to feel like an addiction. Is there a support-group forum?

:wink: Lilder
[/quote]

What does Scripture say?
MT 18:7 Woe to the world because of things that cause sin! Such things must come, but woe to the one through whom they come!.
ROM 4:8 Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not record."
ROM 6:2 How can we who died to sin yet live in it?
ROM 7:13 Did the good, then, become death for me? Of course not! Sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin, worked death in me through the good, so that sin might become sinful beyond measure through the commandment.

In short: the forums are not sin, but the activities we have by right or obligation to do but fail to perform because of other wilfully chosen acts may be sin. A sin of omission may be involved. Forums may be temptation.
Interesting question, Lilder, which prompts others.

[quote=yinekka]Yes, I think they are :frowning: :wink: I should be tidying the house before going to Mass but here I am, avidly reading the posts. mea culpa, mea culpa I am afraid to go to confession and tell of my addiction ; the penance I will get will be mind boggling!! :eek:
[/quote]

Well, I did mention it in Confession the other day. The priest told me to cut down to no more than 3 hours a day :smiley: . Oh, and to finish the parish web site before logging on to the forums again. Took me all of one day to finish the site.

John

[quote=darcee]You will have to type the rosary…:nerd:

-D
[/quote]

:rotfl:
Thanks D!!!

I get pretty wrapped up in the forums but I don’t let my interest in them get in the way of my duties. When I first got into AA for my alcoholism one of my friends said this to me: *if you think you might have a problem with drinking, then you probably do have one. *Turns out she was right and I did have a problem. About browsing and posting on the forums I do not have a problem, but I can see how it could become one.

On another occasion I became very upset with some answers I was viewing on another Catholic forum and went to my priest about it in Confession, and he suggested that I not put so much faith in the forums as there is much misinformation on them. That really helped me to remember we are all just people with opinions and beliefs, even if our opinions and beliefs may be based on our Catholicism. So now I try to take most posts in stride and try to not get too stirred up about them.

Great question for smoking out the users who might be guilty of scruples!

I think that I need to either give up the forums or figure out a way to not spend so much time on them. I think that this may become a problem for me if it hasn’t already. I can’t seem to quit the forums though, even though I probably should due to a possible addiction.

I think it is because I live far away from a church. I used to live in the city and go to adoration often and now that I don’t live there anymore and it takes a while to get there, not to mention gas money, I don’t go as often and have a hard time talking to God like I did when I went to adoration. It really is making me frustrated. I am feeling lonely when I know that I shouldn’t. With adoration I wasn’t feeling so lonely.

I think they may be a near occasion of sin.

for example, once in a while I try to post in a couple threads to see my name in the top several threads in the forum. but, seriously, I enjoy meeting people who are interested in similar things.

Really. Can you have such focused conversations about your faith and the Church anyplace else? and, so many conversations at the same time?

[quote=PilgrimJWT]Great question for smoking out the users who might be guilty of scruples!
[/quote]

Since when is having scruples a sin???

If more of the Catholic faithful joined these forums, they would be surprised at how little they know about their faith. I went through a 7 year study program for deacon. When I log on to these forums, I find that I really know little. We can spend a lifetime studying our faith and not even dent the vastness of God.

Like someone once said, “Everything in moderation”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.