Are the Jews still the chosen people?

Earlier on this thread @kainosktisis posted some verses from Paul , including this one:

• I ask, then, has God rejected his people? Of course not ! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

Paul also says, “In respect to the gospel, they are enemies on your account; but in respect to election, they are beloved because of the patriarchs. For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable” (Romans 11:28-29).

Paul’s teaching here is that Gentiles who accept Christ as their Savior are added to the Elect, just as the descendants of Abraham are the Elect by virtue of that descent. “Elect” means “chosen”.

http://www.usccb.org/bible/romans/11

I think you need to read your Scripture: yes, they are:

From Exodus 19 (NABRE - USCCB):

3Moses went up to the mountain of God. Then the LORD called to him from the mountain, saying: This is what you will say to the house of Jacob; tell the Israelites:4You have seen how I treated the Egyptians and how I bore you up on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself.b5Now, if you obey me completely and keep my covenant,* you will be my treasured possession among all peoples,c though all the earth is mine.6You will be to me a kingdom of priests,* a holy nation.d That is what you must tell the Israelites.7So Moses went and summoned the elders of the people. When he set before them all that the LORD had ordered him to tell them,8all the people answered together, “Everything the LORD has said, we will do.” Then Moses brought back to the LORD the response of the people.

From Deuteronomy 7 (NABRE - USCCB):

6For you are a people holy to the LORD, your God; the LORD, your God, has chosen you from all the peoples on the face of the earth to be a people specially his own.f
7It was not because you are more numerous than all the peoples that the LORD set his heart on you and chose you; for you are really the smallest of all peoples.g
8It was because the LORD loved you and because of his fidelity to the oath he had sworn to your ancestors, that the LORD brought you out with a strong hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh, king of Egypt.h
9i Know, then, that the LORD, your God, is God: the faithful God who keeps covenant mercy to the thousandth generation toward those who love him and keep his commandments,j
10but who repays with destruction those who hate him; he does not delay with those who hate him, but makes them pay for it.
11Therefore carefully observe the commandment, the statutes and the ordinances which I command you today.

This only continues in 3 whole chapters - Romans 9-11.

The Church has something on the matter as well:

“THE GIFTS AND THE CALLING
OF GOD ARE IRREVOCABLE”
(Rom 11:29)

A REFLECTION ON THEOLOGICAL QUESTIONS PERTAINING
TO CATHOLIC–JEWISH RELATIONS ON THE OCCASION OF THE
50TH ANNIVERSARY OF “NOSTRA AETATE” (NO.4)
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/relations-jews-docs/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_20151210_ebraismo-nostra-aetate_en.html

There is more…

From the CCC Online:

The Church and non-Christians

839 "Those who have not yet received the Gospel are related to the People of God in various ways."325

The relationship of the Church with the Jewish People . When she delves into her own mystery, the Church, the People of God in the New Covenant, discovers her link with the Jewish People,326 "the first to hear the Word of God."327 The Jewish faith, unlike other non-Christian religions, is already a response to God’s revelation in the Old Covenant. To the Jews “belong the sonship, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and of their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ”,328 "for the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable."329

840 And when one considers the future, God’s People of the Old Covenant and the new People of God tend towards similar goals: expectation of the coming (or the return) of the Messiah. But one awaits the return of the Messiah who died and rose from the dead and is recognized as Lord and Son of God; the other awaits the coming of a Messiah, whose features remain hidden till the end of time; and the latter waiting is accompanied by the drama of not knowing or of misunderstanding Christ Jesus.

325 LG 16.
326 Cf. NA 4.
327 Roman Missal , Good Friday 13:General Intercessions,VI.
328 Rom 9:4-5.
329 Rom 11:29.

The Jews regard themselves as the Chosen People, why their God does not protect Jerusalem that has been destroyed twice by Babel and Rome.

Well I’m not catholic so they’re ideas are their own, the people being spoken of are the ancient Church which the Israelites were apart of, being of the Church made them chosen. The Israelites themselves aren’t the chosen people of God. The New covenant merely expands the Church to all people, Gentiles included.

The elect is the Church itself and Gentiles are added to the Church.

You can read the conditional promises of dwelling in the land from
Deuteronomy 4:11.
“If you act corruptly by making graven images in the form of anything and by doing what is evil in the sight of the Lord your God, so as to provoke him to anger, I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that you will soon utterly perish from the land which you are going over the Jordan to possess; you will not live long upon it, but will be utterly destroyed. And the Lord will scatter you among the peoples and you will be few in number among the nations where the Lord will drive you.”

Yes, they are truly His people: “For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” (Hebrews 12:6)

The Jews were chosen in the Old Testament, but in the New Testament, there was a new covenant. Catholics are now God’s chosen people. In other words, anyone baptized in the Catholic faith.

The “New Covenant” that is always mentioned is in reference to a quote from Jeremiah 31:13-33 which says:

“The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them declares the Lord. “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people."

With whom does God say the “New Covenant” is being made with? With the Jewish people. Whom did Jesus say he came for? “I have come only for the lost sheep of Israel” (Matthew 15:24). Paul said that “The Gospel is to the Jew first, and then to the Gentile” (Romans 1:6).

The Gentiles have been grafted in because of the Jewish people’s unbelief in Jesus as their Messiah. Romans 1:1,11 - “I ask then: Did God reject his people? By no means!..Again I ask: Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles.”

And Paul continues to say about this same subject: “If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches.” So we (the church) have not taken the place of the Jewish people–in the sense that God has discarded them, nor have we become superior to them. We have been brought in to know their God, who is now our God also.

The Church teaches (because this is what the scripture teaches) that the Jewish people will eventually be brought back into the fold and will come to believe in the same Messiah that the Church now believes in.

"This is what the Lord says, he who appoints the sun to shine by day, who decrees the moon and stars to shine by night, who stirs up the sea so that the waves roar – the Lord Almighty is his name: “Only if these decrees vanish from my sight,” declares the Lord, “will the descendants of Israel ever cease to be a nation before me.” This is what the Lord says: “Only if the heavens above can be measured and the foundations of the earth below be searched out will I reject all the descendants of Israel because of all they have done,” declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 31:35-37)

Yes replacement theological belief is what many are taught.
Its wrong but so what. !
Most religion believe what they are taught

The Jews have ALWAYS been God’s chosen people. Jesus was a Jew. His apostles were Jews. He celebrated Jewish holidays, and preached to Jewish people. The Bible is the story of God’s interaction with his chosen people, the Jews.

One very conservative Anglican theologian, N.T. Wright, believes much of the evil in the world will be wiped away once the Jews, God’s chosen people, accept Christ as their Savior. I’m not saying I agree with his premise. I don’t. I DO agree that the Jews are God’s chosen people. God’s covenant with them will not be broken.

Many books have been written on this subject. It would be impossible to boil it down to a blog post. Why does God allow evil at all? Especially to innocent persons? I suggest you read The Problem of Evil.

Moses was not supposed to create more. After the giving of the Ten Commandments, he was instructed not to add to them.

Legal Code in the Pentateuch was for civil, religious society. I’m not certain it was revealed by God.

I’ll say this.

The Church is the means that God uses for revelation.

Does he still use the Jews for revelation? If so, its not to the extent he once did.

I am taken back to the parable of the Landowner who leases his vineyard, and it is no doubt Biblical.

The law is written in the heart.

The Church decided early on that Mosaic Law was not necessary to the Christian.

Absolutely. I’m learning more and more about my God from current online Judaic teachers and from Jewish commentaries.

I’m more referring to modern revelation. New information since the death and resurrection.

The seed is the Word of God. It is God.

It is found in Baptism and in the Eucharist.

I think that a lot of the revelation we receive today is when the scripture is opened up to our hearts. When you say revelation since the death and resurrection, do you mean such as charismatic gifts like prophecy?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.