Are the Jews supposed to have a nation?

I was told that scripture tells us that the Jewish people would never have a nation. Is this true? I do not recall ever hearing of this.

Are you referring to them having land? Because the Jews have always been a nation, whether in the land of Israel or dispersed from Israel. Today, the land and the people are once again flourishing together, not for their sake, but for sake of God’s holy name. Ultimately, the land and people will be fully restored when the Messiah(Jesus) comes back to Israel.

Ezekiel 36, Zechariah 14, …

Maybe if I re word my question and possibly explain it. I was having a conversation with some one about the state of affairs in the middle east and the views of christians (including catholics) and muslims. I was told by the person that both muslim and christian scriptures say that the Jewish faith (Isrealites) were gods chosen people but god told them because of their actions that they would never have a nation and that’s whats God’s will is. The fact that Great Britian had given Isreal to the Jews after the Holocost is against God’s will from what Muslims and what this person has told me the bible says. So my question is. Does scripture say that God had stated that the Jews will never have a home?

Numbers Chapter 33 בְּמִדְבַּר

verse 53:
for unto you have I given the land to possess it.
כִּי לָכֶם נָתַתִּי אֶת-הָאָרֶץ, לָרֶשֶׁת אֹתָהּ.

Genesis Chapter 12 בְּרֵאשִׁית
7 And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said: ‘Unto thy seed will I give this land’; and he builded there an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him.
ז וַיֵּרָא יְהוָה, אֶל-אַבְרָם, וַיֹּאמֶר, לְזַרְעֲךָ אֶתֵּן אֶת-הָאָרֶץ הַזֹּאת; וַיִּבֶן שָׁם מִזְבֵּחַ, לַיהוָה הַנִּרְאֶה אֵלָיו.

Genesis Chapter 13 בְּרֵאשִׁית
15 for all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.
טו כִּי אֶת-כָּל-הָאָרֶץ אֲשֶׁר-אַתָּה רֹאֶה, לְךָ אֶתְּנֶנָּה, וּלְזַרְעֲךָ, עַד-עוֹלָם.

Genesis Chapter 15 בְּרֵאשִׁית
18 In that day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying: 'Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates;
יח בַּיּוֹם הַהוּא, כָּרַת יְהוָה אֶת-אַבְרָם–בְּרִית לֵאמֹר: לְזַרְעֲךָ, נָתַתִּי אֶת-הָאָרֶץ הַזֹּאת, מִנְּהַר מִצְרַיִם, עַד-הַנָּהָר הַגָּדֹל נְהַר-פְּרָת.

Genesis Chapter 17 בְּרֵאשִׁית
8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land of thy sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.’
ח וְנָתַתִּי לְךָ וּלְזַרְעֲךָ אַחֲרֶיךָ אֵת אֶרֶץ מְגֻרֶיךָ, אֵת כָּל-אֶרֶץ כְּנַעַן, לַאֲחֻזַּת, עוֹלָם; וְהָיִיתִי לָהֶם, לֵאלֹהִים.

Exodus Chapter 3 שְׁמוֹת
8 and I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Amorite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite.
ח וָאֵרֵד לְהַצִּילוֹ מִיַּד מִצְרַיִם, וּלְהַעֲלֹתוֹ מִן-הָאָרֶץ הַהִוא, אֶל-אֶרֶץ טוֹבָה וּרְחָבָה, אֶל-אֶרֶץ זָבַת חָלָב וּדְבָשׁ–אֶל-מְקוֹם הַכְּנַעֲנִי, וְהַחִתִּי, וְהָאֱמֹרִי וְהַפְּרִזִּי, וְהַחִוִּי וְהַיְבוּסִי.

Well there’s more but you get the picture.

And no Great Britain did not give Israel to the Jews after the Shoah. I don’t even know where to begin on that one.

Thank you for the reply. Very informative.

God did say, in the Hebrew scriptures, that as a result of Israel’s disobedience, he would scatter Israel (and he did), but that one day, he would regather Israel. First physically, and ultimately spiritually. I believe the former (physical regathering) is occurring now in the nation of Israel - the first time Israel was again a “state” in 2,000 years.

But Israel has not yet been spiritually regathered. The vast majority of jews in Israel are secular Jews - only the minority being observant.

I believe that in the end times, the Jews in Israel, as a collective, will mourn for the one whom they have pierced and call on the name of the Lord (Zechariah) - this will occur after the full allotment of Gentiles comes in to belief (Romans 11).

Jesus said he would not return until the Jews (at least its leadership - he was talking to the leadership of his day) say "blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord).

Blessings,

Brian

Thank you also for the info. I wasn’t aware of what the Hebrew Scriptures said.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.