Are the Masons descended from the Knights Templars?

I know little at all about the Free Masons, other than they are historically anti-Catholic and Catholics are not supposed to join.

The other night I rented and watched “National Treasure.” In the movie there is a great treasure accumulated by the Templar knights and eventually passed down to the Masons who were members of the group that became this country’s founding fathers. Is there any basis in fact to the claim that there is any kind of relationship between the Knights Templar and Masons? Or is this complete Hollywood fantasy? It seems rather strange to me that a military order of the Church would end up as an anti-Catholic fraternal organization. But as I said, I know so little about the Masons.

On a side note, are the Al Chymia Shriners related to the Masons?

Thanks, and God bless!

Dear M,

The Freemasons did NOT come from the Knights Templars. The Original Catholic Encyclopedia says of latter: “The Knights Templars were the earliest founders of the military orders, and are the type on which the others are modelled. They are marked in history (1) by their humble beginning, (2) by their marvellous growth, and (3) by their tragic end.” For more of this article, see:
[LIST]
*]Knights Templars[/LIST] Here is the same encyclopedia on the Masons and their origin:
[LIST]
*]Masonry[/LIST]The Chymia Shriners are indeed Masons.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.