Are the Old Testament Patriarchs Saints?

Recently, I became interested with celebrating "Name Days". I searched the net if my name, Jared, is also a name of a saint. I only found one source (saints.sqpn.com/)saying that there is indeed one, St. Jared the Patriarch, from Genesis 5.

I do know that certain biblical figures are considered as saints however, I do not know which ones. Jared the Patriarch is listed in the said website as a saint however, his father ?] Mahalalel is not listed as one (again in said website).

I also looked for Jared the Patriarch's entry in the Roman Martyrology (under the feast day indicated in the website) but I did not find his name. So, is he considered a saint?

May you please enlighten me on this? Thanks!

I know before I was confirmed into the Church my priest scolded me for saying "Abraham" from the Old Testament.. he told me to say, 'St. Abraham.'

So I guess so.. maybe someone else can give insight.

I am by no means an expert, but I believe if the saint does not have a feast set in the Martyrology, they are celebrated on All Saints Day.

Just my input.

The Byzantine Rite celebrates feasts days for many Old Testament saints - St. Elias (Elijah), and I do believe there is a day for Abraham and Sarah as well. Also, Habbakuk, Zephania, Daniel, Hananiah, Azuriah and Mishael. To name a few.

The Byzantine Rite Catholics are in full communion with the Church, so yes, there are Old Testament saints. Their calendar of feast days is different than ours, but is legit.

[quote="browebmaster, post:1, topic:324229"]
Recently, I became interested with celebrating "Name Days". I searched the net if my name, Jared, is also a name of a saint. I only found one source (saints.sqpn.com/)saying that there is indeed one, St. Jared the Patriarch, from Genesis 5.

I do know that certain biblical figures are considered as saints however, I do not know which ones. Jared the Patriarch is listed in the said website as a saint however, his father ?] Mahalalel is not listed as one (again in said website).

I also looked for Jared the Patriarch's entry in the Roman Martyrology (under the feast day indicated in the website) but I did not find his name. So, is he considered a saint?

May you please enlighten me on this? Thanks!

[/quote]

We know at least one of them is recognized as a saint, St. John the Baptist. And though the others have not been formerly honored, I have no doubt at all that they stand before the throne of God. Linus2nd

Ask yourself, what is a saint (essentially a person with God) and are the OT figures who served God with perfect be with him? I would say yes, and the Eastern Churches would say the same (for instance, veneration of Mor Elias, or St. Elijah, is pretty common).

[quote="MorEphrem, post:6, topic:324229"]
Ask yourself, what is a saint (essentially a person with God) and are the OT figures who served God with perfect be with him? I would say yes, and the Eastern Churches would say the same (for instance, veneration of Mor Elias, or St. Elijah, is pretty common).

[/quote]

Some of the OT Patriarchs are referred to by name with the 'Saint' title in the Litany of the Saints, and there is a general line for all Patriarchs.

All the best

Martin

Many Old Testament personalities do have Martyrology entries and are properly addressed as St. N.

Here's the Martyrology entry, for example, for St. Moses (Sept. 4, rough translation)

The commemoration of St. Moses, prophet, whom God chose to deliver his people from oppression in Egypt into the promised land: to whom [God] revealed himself saying, "I am who am", and to whom he gave to law to rule the life of his chosen people. The servant of God died on Mount Nebo in the land of Moab, full of days, within sight of the promised land.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.