Are the RSV and NRSV bibles approved translations of the Catholic Church?

http://www.usccb.org/bible/approved-translations/index.cfm

because I heard that the NRSV is inaccurate and unapproved from
https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/the-ten-most-common-liturgical-abuses

under first common abuse.

There are Catholic editions of both the RSV and the NRSV. Perhaps obviously, both are fine for Catholics in personal use. The USCCB list at the first link provided includes an NRSV-CE, and given that this list is not claimed to be exhaustive, it does not exclude either edition of the RSV-CE.

However, neither version is approved for liturgical use in the US, which is why using them for Mass would be a liturgical abuse.

Happy cake day :cake:

Okay so studying the RSV or NRSV translations is alright then. Cool, I thought I might have been wasted my bible study time from using the wrong translation.

Although, I’m not sure if I’ve been using the NRSV or NRSV-CE. Is that a significant difference?

I have no idea, as I use the RSV-CE for my own Scripture study. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Many versions can be used for study, per the USCCB. Note that The Catholic Church in England and Wales also has a list which includes RSV and NRSV.

http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resources/Scripture/Versions.shtml

Canada still uses the NRSV liturgically. They have a revised lectionary pending in Rome, but I am not sure if it also is based on the NRSV. I think so, but I am not sure.

There is no pending lectionary for Canada in Rome. Our NRSV lectionary is fully approved, fully promulgated since 2008.

First of all, that first link lists only translations approved by the USCCB under Canon 825 of the 1983 Code of Canon Law. Prior to that, Bibles were merely approved by an individual bishop with the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur. The RSV-CE was published in 1966, and so carries this kind of approval, not the USCCB approval. That approval remains valid. The RSV-CE is easily the best Catholic translation you can use for devotion and study.

The second point is only because the NRSV is not approved for use at Mass in the United States. The NRSV has been adapted and approved for use in Canada, and as such, that is what we must use. It would illcit for us to use your New American Bible for Mass because it’s not approved for use here.

Quick tip…
At the front of the Bible, look for the Imprimatur and/or Nihil Obstat. Look for all the books (73).

Before I posted, I figured I should check the Canadian bishops site. On the weekly lectionary page, it says:

The current volumes of the Lectionary:Weekdays are out of print. The “revised” Lectionary: Weekdays is currently at the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Disicipline of the Sacraments for approval (since Janury 2017). In the meantime, please find PDF files of the Weekday Lectionary below. At the earliest, we estimate that it will be at least sometime in 2019 before the new Lectionary is ready.

It is just the weekday lectionary pending.

I tried not to say anything stupid, but I still managed to do it. Sorry

The NRSV-CE is simply the NRSV with the Deuterocanonical books arranged in the Vulgate order, rather than “sandwiched” (that would be the NRSV Common Bible) or omitted (that’s the standard NRSV Protestant edition).

Check if the Catholic versions have a “Nihil Obstat” and “Imprimatur”; this means they were reviewef by a Catholic authority, and found free of serious theological error.

As they shout out on Family Feud, “Great answer!”

To the OP: Beware any bible with “New” in the title. It generally means that it has been politically corrected, in accordance with the culture rather than the Church.

For example, our Lord never asked “Who do people say that I am?” Technical yes, but it is changing the Lord’s words. If we need an answer to that from the distaff side, we always have the examples of sisters Martha and Mary. Their words need not be changed.

John 11:27 "She (Martha) said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, he who is coming into the world.”

What more is needed? Martha’s statement of faith is as certain as Peter’s.

closed #14

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.