Are there any absolutes in Catholicism?

Is there any situation where something is never, ever acceptable?

Catechism:**

Homosexual Acts

****2357 **Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

**Abortion

**2271 Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law:

Of course.

The Catechism expounds on this subject under the section on the Ten Commandments as well as elsewhere.

Putting ketchup on a hot dog. It’s. Just. Wrong.

:stuck_out_tongue: then call me wrong.

Seriously? Adultery, fornication, masturbation … I’m sure I could come up with others given time.

What do you mean by “something [that] is never, ever acceptable”? Do you mean that if that something is performed, that that would mean that the person who performed this something automatically, necessarily, and irreversibly is headed to “eternal damnation”?

Off of the top of my head, there’s nothing that, if done, would automatically, necessarily, and irreversibly mean “eternal damnation”.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spririt?

There are lots of things that are absolutely wrong. Worshipping a false God, Murder, Adultery, Giving False witness, Allowing the poor to starve, and the list goes on and on. Fortunately if one is repentant all these wrongs can be forgiven. Maybe I don’t comprehend what the OP means by “absolutely wrong.” :confused:

Yes.

Yes, yes, and YES!!! “D” ALL of above!!!

I agree with Ahimsa, depends on what how you define your terms. There is no act that is automatically damning, no sin that may not be forgiven. Not sure what else “absolutes” means?

Yes, as Pope JP II discusses in Veritatis Splendor:
vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_06081993_veritatis-splendor_en.html

#52 The Church has always taught that one may never choose kinds of behaviour prohibited by the moral commandments expressed in negative form in the Old and New Testaments. As we have seen, Jesus himself reaffirms that these prohibitions allow no exceptions: “If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments… You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness” (Mt 19:17-18).

Also,

The negative precepts of the natural law
are universally valid. They oblige each and every individual, always and in every circumstance. It is a matter of prohibitions which forbid a given action semper et pro semper, without exception, because the choice of this kind of behaviour is in no case compatible with the goodness of the will of the acting person, with his vocation to life with God and to communion with his neighbour. It is prohibited — to everyone and in every case — to violate these precepts. They oblige everyone, regardless of the cost, never to offend in anyone, beginning with oneself, the personal dignity common to all.

Naw. You guys all messed up. The proper answer (of course) was “ABSOLUTELY!”

John

As Janet S pointed out there are intrinsically evil actions that are always wrong, no matter the time, place, or circumstance. They ought never be done.

:stuck_out_tongue:

:thumbsup: Yup!

Werman

Not loving God and neighbor.:smiley:

I do believe dear sir, that you are ABSOLUTELY correct!! :smiley: :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.