Are there any Catholic theologions that fully understand the last book of the bible ?

I dare say that many different Christians have many many different variations of what they think the end of days revelation actually reveals.

What i want to know is, Is thier any Catholics hear that is well educated in its meaning, and if so please teach me. I dont fully trust my own understanding of the last book in the bible revelation.

Also is there any truths in the malachi prophecies about the popes?

[quote=freesoulhope]Also is there any truths in the malachi prophecies about the popes?
[/quote]

You have started two threads in one. That doesn’t make sense. When you start a thread see it through to the end. If you want to discuss something different like the prophecies then start a separate thread otherwise the discussion will get all confusing and mixed up.

[quote=thistle]You have started two threads in one. That doesn’t make sense. When you start a thread see it through to the end. If you want to discuss something different like the prophecies then start a separate thread otherwise the discussion will get all confusing and mixed up.
[/quote]

It is was my intent to start a new thread, thats what i have done, Thats what i was advised to do. Where have i errored in my my agenda :confused:

Sorry, i see what you mean now. I have asked two qeustions at once. Thanks. :o

[quote=freesoulhope]It is was my intent to start a new thread, thats what i have done, Thats what i was advised to do. Where have i errored in my my agenda :confused:
[/quote]

This thread topic is “Are there any Catholic theologians that fully understand the last book of the bible?”.
That’s fine and a good topic for discussion.
You then start a new topic in this thread “Also is there any truths in the malachi prophecies about the popes?” This as nothing to do with your original post. If you wish to discuss this as well start a new thread and not a new topic within this thread.

[quote=thistle]This thread topic is “Are there any Catholic theologians that fully understand the last book of the bible?”.
That’s fine and a good topic for discussion.
You then start a new topic in this thread “Also is there any truths in the malachi prophecies about the popes?” This as nothing to do with your original post. If you wish to discuss this as well start a new thread and not a new topic within this thread.
[/quote]

Sorry

[quote=freesoulhope]Sorry
[/quote]

No need to apologise. I was only trying to help you organise yourself. For example, if you have 6 different topics you want to discuss you have to start 6 separate threads. You wouldn’t have 6 different topics in the same thread.

[quote=freesoulhope]I dare say that many different Christians have many many different variations of what they think the end of days revelation actually reveals.

What i want to know is, Is thier any Catholics hear that is well educated in its meaning, and if so please teach me. I dont fully trust my own understanding of the last book in the bible revelation.
[/quote]

Here are some articles from THIS ROCK (and one other source)that should serve you as a good introduction to the Catholic understanding of St. John’s Revelation:

carl-olson.com/articles/endbegin_newcov.html

catholic.com/thisrock/2002/0209fea5.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0009bite.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1998/9812chap.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9705chap.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1995/9510ntg.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9409fea4.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9410fea2.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/2003/0304bt.asp

catholic.com/library/hunting_the_whore_of_babylon.asp

Also, if you wish to purchase some books or tapes on the subject, these are some excellent ones to consider:

ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=1277&SKU=RSC-V&ReturnURL=search.aspx%3f%3fSID%3d1%26SearchCriteria%3dRevelation+

four-courts-press.ie/cgi/bookshow.cgi?file=NavRevelation.xml (This is the Book of Revelation in a stand-alone edition; it has very helpful footnotes.)

saintjoe.com/p/prod_desc.pl?id=34

saintjoe.com/p/prod_desc.pl?id=169

saintjoe.com/p/prod_desc.pl?id=909

The short answer to the original question is, No.

The Church’s position is that the Bible is an inexhaustible source of inspiration. So, obviously, no Catholic theologian has a full understanding of that part of it.

And, neither does anybody else.

[quote=freesoulhope]I dare say that many different Christians have many many different variations of what they think the end of days revelation actually reveals.

[/quote]

I kind of like Scott Hahn’s interpretation of some of the book of revelation as the celebration of the Mass in heavon as well as here on earth. See his book “The Lamb’s Supper” for more details.

[quote=freesoulhope]Also is there any truths in the malachi prophecies about the popes?
[/quote]

No there is no truth to them. I call them the Malarchy Phophecies.

PF

I agree that “no” would be the best answer. Remember OP, theology is not the same as Doctrine. I always get a chuckle whenever I hear in a homily “theologians (or theologian x) tells us…”. Theologians have told us many things over the course of 2000 years, some of it good and some of it bad, and alot of it (even “bad” theology) was within the Doctrinal teachings of the Church. There are many valuable resources that could give you very thorough insight into the Book of Revelation, but I would beware of anyone who tells you that they have the key to thoroughly and undeniably deciphering the text.

Dear Free Soul - I echo the recommendation of Scott Hahn’s book “The Lamb’s Supper” - a very good book on Revelation. Regarding the Malachi prophesies, do a Forum search on that topic and you’ll find some good info. God Bless.

[/quote]

Coming Soon: Unlocking the Book of Revelation and Applying Its Lessons Today by Catholic Scripture scholar Michael Barber, pub. by Emmaus Road Publishing, 2006.

If you run across ANYONE (Catholic OR Protestant) who says they completely understand the Book of Revelation, run, don’t walk, away as fast as you can. :cool:

[/quote]

From what I understand from what I have read (I am not a theologian, I’ve just read a lot of books), the book of revelation is an instruction book to the early Church on the Mass- it is also an historical account of Christianity, and a prediction of the last judgement. It was written at a time when Christians were being rounded up and killed by the Romans, so they couldn’t just let a book circulate that said things plainly and simply- they had to use symbolism to make it as secretive as possible. Also, since it was a prophesy about the end of the world and Judgement Day by St. John the Evangelist based on a vision he had, and he had to illustrate what he saw in a way the people reading it would be able to understand.

I reccommend you read Scott Hahn’s book, The Lamb’s Supper. It’s a very interesting read. It made me look at the book of Revelation very differently.

I, too, second Dr. Scott Hahn’s work the Lamb’s Supper : The Mass As Heaven On Earth. It will give you a general scholarly understanding of the book of Revelation. Believe it or not though, the book of Revelation wasn’t written specifically to people in our generation… it was written to every generation.

I can only ditto everyone else on “The Lambs Supper”.
Dr. Hahn’s books are wonderful. and this one is one of my favorites.

MM

Yes, I agree with all…the Lamb’s Supper was marvelous.

However, from a slightly different perspective, **the best ** and most thoroughly researched explanation of Revelation I’ve ever read is in the recent book (2003) by David Currie, in the chapter on that section in Rapture: The End-Times Error That Leaves the Bible Behind.
Dave Currie pulls from many sources, the early fathers, secular and hebrew history, and much more.
You can read the reviews of the book at amazon books to get an idea. His writings also closely parallel some of the writings of Fr. Winthop Brainerd, a top biblicist, a former Oxford don, with two doctorates, one from Harvard. Would also recommend reading Dave’s chapter on the book of Daniel, and the Olivet discourse for a more thorough grounding…Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.