Are there any Christian books non bias that have lead any Protestants to the Catholic Church?

Want to buy a Christian book for someone I know. would like for it to be a Protestant book but kind of leads to Catholic understandings.

One person I heard of started her journey to the Catholic faith when she read Josh McDowell’s Evidence Demanding a Verdict.

I haven’t read it myself, but according to her, there is a section about the Catacombs in that book that mentions something about the early Christians using the Hail Mary prayer. That’s what got her started to thinking that, hey - maybe the early Church really was Catholic. :eek: :slight_smile:

amazon.com/Will-Real-Heretics-Please-Stand/dp/0924722002

Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up: A New Look at Today’s Evangelical Church in the Light of Early Christianity (Paperback)
by David W. Bercot

I never read this book, but I read about it in Surprised by Truth 2.

Jeff Childers said this book was influential in his conversion from the Church of Christ to Catholicism. Here is an excerpt from SBT2:

Bercot called his book “a new look at today’s Evangelical Church in the light of early Christianity.” I had always loved the Church, and I had always loved history; but prior to reading this book, I had never thought much about Church history. Bercot introduced me to a number of the Church Fathers, arguing that, although the Fathers were not infallible, their insight into biblical interpretation was greater than our own, and therefore we should always compare our understanding with theirs.

One by one, Bercot tore apart the false doctrines that are common within many Evangelical churches: symbolic baptism, Calvinist predestination, and salvation by faith alone. As a member of the Church of Christ–a believer in Baptism as a new birth, in free will, and in salvation by faith and works–I was in ecstasy. I had discovered the missing link: historical proof that the Church of Christ is the one true Church.

Well, he didn’t convert to Catholicism right away, but he eventually started reading the Church Fathers, was surprised at how Catholic they were. Now he is a Catholic and has been a guest on the Journey Home. He was in the seminary for a while, but I don’t think he is anymore.

My roommate read the book, and he said it’s in there. It’s on my “to read” list. My roommate highly recommends it.

I have to say that C.S. Lewis was a major player in my “awakening” to traditional Christianity, which led my Evangelical starved soul to further searching. And well, that eventually led me home to the Church.

I started with Mere Christianity and worked my through most of his books. It was the beginning of a wonderful journey. :thumbsup: :smiley:

Thank you for the link, Janet. I just put it on my Amazon wish list. :slight_smile:

I tell you the book most directly responsible for my departure from Protestant Chiurches to now seriously considering becoming a Catholic is a real old one… it’s called the Bible.

Good answer! :thumbsup:

G.K Chesterton - Orthodoxy

He was a protestant during the time that he wrote the book. And while the title sounds stiff and heavy, I assure you it is short, thoroughly entertaining, and utterly illuminating. One of the finest books ever written. Period.

I agree, I found Chesterton while I was buying and reading Lewis. He was a great influence on Lewis. Orthodoxy was one of my first Chesterton books, a really profound look at Christianity.

Orthodoxy would be a good book for an atheist or agnostic to read too.

I’m a big Chesterton fan, but his books take a lot of time to read, and I’m not sure how many people would have the patience to read them. Part of the reason they require so much patience to read is because they contain references to a lot of things people in our day aren’t aware of (like the Boer War); and another part of the reason is because nearly every sentence Chesterton writes is deeply profound. It may take a few seconds to read a line but a few minutes to ponder what it means. This was especially true with the book Orthodoxy. No speed reading here.

Chesterton’s wisdom, optimism, and common sense are exactly what the modern world needs. It would be great if everyone would read his books, poems, and essays. But I’m not sure how accessible his writing style is to most people.

The Bible!:bible1: :dancing:

this is good guys thanks

I have to agree with Jeanette L– CS Lewis is exactly the person you are looking for. He was an Anglican from Northern Ireland, so no-one can accuse him of pro-Catholic bias, but he has led many protestants (including myself) closer to the Church.

Look at Scott Hahn’s stuff.

Gave my friend a copy of The Lambs Supper :
Book starts when he snuck into his first Catholic Mass as a skeptical Evan./Protestant pastor and sat in the back.

Talks about Mass as Heaven on Earth, and unlocks Revelation in a way that may shock a protestant into seeing so much they’ve not pondered! (Basics of Catholic Mass being older than the Bible for one)

He’s also wrote books on his conversion (Rome sweet Home, I think) realy talented!

Yes this is one of my favorite books most his book are to far advanced for me though. But I found the Lambs Supper to be very good.

G.K.Chesterson books are great. and C.S Lewis also. There is also one titled "One for Sorrow and Two for Joy, ( I think thats the title, maybe someone can correct me if not). on the Rosary, I don’t know who the author is but it is by a protestant.

That is the BEST book available, if it is read without the preconceived
false ideas that most protestants have of the Catholic Faith. Usually it takes other readings to awaken them to the TRUTH of the BIBLE.

I find it easier to understand his talks. But Scott is a profound example of a convert to the Catholic Faith. He had to almost drag himself into it. But he couldn’t deny the TRUTH.

Ok I haven’t read through the whole thread so I don’t know if this has already be mentioned but the book that finally convinced my DH to start RCIA

was Born Fundamentalist Born Again Catholic by David B. Currie

This book really related to his upbringing and the concerns he had. It was what convinced hi that the scriptures supported the the Truth of the Eucharist and that Christ was talking about his literal body and blood in the bread and wine.

I have other books too, by Keating, Scott Hahn and I think it’s Armstrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.