Are there any churches that reject Biblical inerrancy?

Are there any churches or whole denominations that reject Biblical inerrancy, or at least the inerrancy of Paul's writings?

[quote="jinc1019, post:1, topic:310874"]
Are there any churches or whole denominations that reject Biblical inerrancy, or at least the inerrancy of Paul's writings?

[/quote]

Yes. The Eighth Article of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints states:

We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

One example of disputed verses is 1 John 5:7,8. Search on "johannine comma". The LDS belief is that the words that flowed from the hands of the authors are inspired and that over time errors were introduced.

Thanks for that point. From what I have studied of the LDS Church, however, they do seem to believe the Bible is infallible, including the writings of Paul; they just teach that there could be errors that have been written into the Bible after the fact. Is that correct?

My understanding is that infallible is related to 'interpretation" only. So only a person could be infallible. But the Bible is inerrant and inspired. Am I mistaken because I’m no pro?

Interesting…

From en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_Johanneum

In the Roman Catholic tradition, the Latin Nova Vulgata (New Vulgate), published in 1979 following the Second Vatican Council, based on the Critical Text and approved for liturgical use, does not include the Comma.[2] Nor does the English-language New American Bible. Today there are Bible translations with a Roman Catholic church imprimatur both with and without the verse, as the traditional Rheims New Testament and the Ronald Knox translation of the Vulgate include the verse.

That basically is my understanding.

Ours does, but we also reject the idea of a canon of scripture. The scriptures are beneficial, and should be studied – but we don’t see them as infallible, authoritative, or without error. As the product of an imperfect world, they’re subject to human error.

Ok thanks for pointing that out. Admittedly, I know almost nothing about Gnosticism. Is there an official website for a large denomination or something I could look through?

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s1c2a3.htm

You could take a look at: gnosis.org

It’s the website of the Ecclesia Gnostica and the Gnostic Society. It has information on the Church, as well as essays, and the largest collection of Gnostic scriptures on the internet. I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Pretty sure the Church of Scientology rejects Biblical innerancy :slight_smile:

I presume you are limiting your query to religions that purport to be Christian? Some time ago, someone posted links here to a modern-day Yahwist sect (one which only accepts the use of the Tetragrammaton for any reference to God). In my brief examination of that site, I found numerous heresies, including their rejection of all of St. Paul’s writings (I think they called him a “pseudo-apostle”).

Needless to say, I got out of there as quickly as possible and advised the other person (who I believe to be an honest inquirer who just happened upon really bad information) to stay away. I don’t remember their name, however, nor do I care to waste any time looking for it.

ELCA and the Episcopal Churches do not believe the Bible is inerrant. Not saying some individuals don’t, but by their theological teaching and practice they don’t.

What prompts your question?

Personally I do not believe the Bible to be infallible. I have a number of reasons for this, foremost amongst them being that it was compiled by men, presumably exercising their own prejudices in doing so. I’d guess that there is stuff in there that shouldn’t be and stuff missing that should be.

There is after all no passage in the Bible which says what the books which make up the Bible actually are’.

Thank you for the link.

Never heard that one…thanks!

I believe there is strong evidence to suggest that Biblical inerrancy is wrong in the sense that everything written in the Bible is definitely 100% true, even in the original manuscripts.

I was referring to Christian denominations yes, but still very interesting.

Another reason I am looking for an answer to this is to see what other theologians teach about it. This has proven very difficult to do, however, because it seems that the ones that don't believe in inerrancy also tend to be exceptionally liberal and rather unbalanced theologically speaking.

I realize this only applies to conservative Protestants. Why do they believe the Bible is inerrant, especially the things not attributed to Jesus, such as Paul’s letters? I realize the Church does because of tradition and Church infallibility.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.