Are There Any Compromises that Can Be Made?

I am new to these forums and so I apologize if I am not posting this in the correct place: I’m a Catholic woman, engaged to be married to a Hindu. His family does not have a problem with him marrying into a Christian family; however, we have recently brought up the topic of children and he is disappointed to know that his children will be unable to know and share in his beliefs. And so he brought up this question: Can one child be raised Catholic and the other Hindu? This makes me uneasy and I know we have a lot to think about, but first I want to know the Church’s stance on this. Basically what I am asking is, are there any compromises that can be made?

Can. 1125 The local ordinary can grant a permission of this kind if there is a just and reasonable cause. He is not to grant it unless the following conditions have been fulfilled:

1/ the Catholic party is to declare that he or she is prepared to remove dangers of defecting from the faith and is to make a sincere promise to do all in his or her power so that all offspring are baptized and brought up in the Catholic Church

Obviously you cannot control what your future children will choose to do when they grow up and make their own religious choices. However in order for the Church to grant permission for a mixed marriage the Catholic party does need to sincerely promise to do everything possible to raise **all **the children as Catholics, not just some of them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.