Are there any female Catholic bible teachers like Joyce Meyer or Beth Moore?

I hope this is the right forum. I am in RCIA and am a Methodist coming into the Catholic Church during Easter Vigil (yay!) I have been part of a Bible study at my old church which is open to all women and you do not need to be a member of the church to attend. My old friends there know and accept what I am doing. I rejoined the Bible Study this winter and we are doing a Beth Moore study on the book of James. So far most of it is orthodox and some of the footnotes she cites are actually Catholic bible scholars such as Ralph Martin. However, there is error, the most glaring being Beth Moore’s contant referral to James (St. James the Less) as the half “baby brother” of Jesus (yikes!). Of course I know from my Scott Hahn Ignatius Study Bible that he is a cousin and I found myself last night as charitably as I could getting into the whole Mary thing I now believe (and actually John Wesley did too but I kept that to myself:)) while not wanting to rock the boat. Other than that rather glaring issue I enjoyed the night and the reason I wanted to study James is that my opinion it is the most Catholic epistle. Anyway, this long winded intro leads to my question- are there female Catholic media figures out there who know their Bible and are charismatic like Beth Moore and Joyce Meyer- I know about Mother Angelica of course but otherwise it seems to be pretty male dominated with great people like Scott Hahn. I know many Catholic women do listen to Joyce Meyer for example and I would love to see Bible studies geared towards Catholic women which would be equally entertaining while not teaching error. Any body out there I am missing- I have to say I soak up all this stuff like a sponge and pretty much read anything I can get my hands on as I come into the Church! God Bless!

Val

How about Scott Hahn’s wife Kimberly Hahn? :slight_smile: She has a series on Proverbs 31:
[LIST]
*]Chosen and Cherished
*]Graced and Gifted
*]Beloved and Blessed
*]Legacy of Love
[/LIST]
Each of these books also has a corresponding DVD set.

She also co-wrote Journey Through Scripture: From Genesis to Jesus.

Kimberly Hahn is probably the most public, check out Johnette Benkovich (Women of Grace) they have a study program. You might also google Endow - I believe that is a women’s bible study as well.

Have you looked into Mary Healy?

aodonline.org/SHMS/Faculty+5819/Healy+16625/Welcome.htm?FRAMELESS=true&NRNODEGUID=%7b294265A2-76A6-4E3D-BB88-F8005FC65E9D%7d

amazon.com/exec/obidos/isbn=0801035864/bakerbookhouseA

amazon.com/Bible-Epistemology-Mary-Healy/dp/1842275402/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219450030&sr=1-1

amazon.com/Out-Egypt-Interpretation-Scripture-Hermeneutics/dp/0310234158/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219449910&sr=1-1

amazon.com/Behind-Text-Interpretation-Scripture-Hermeneutics/dp/031023414X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219449963&sr=1-1

I have also participated in some of Beth Moore’s bible studies, mainly Old Testament. I agree, she’s very charismatic and makes the studies a lot of fun and very interesting.
I think the answer is to convert Beth Moore and bring her home to the Catholic Church! :smiley:

And Mary said,

“My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden.
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed;
for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.
And his mercy is on those who fear him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm,
he has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts,
he has put down the mighty from their thrones, and exalted those of low degree;
he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent empty away.
He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy,
as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his posterity for ever.”

Joyce Meyer is excellent, they broke the mold when the good Lord made her

Catholic Scripture Study was founded by a woman who had a similar experience - attending protestant Bible Study. Don’t recall her name. Web site is CSSProgram.net (I think)

I second the poster on Johnette Benkovic. She has a show on EWTN called Women of Grace and has written several Bible Study books. Also Rosalind Moss, a Jewish convert, had a show on EWTN called Reasons for Our Hope - a study of the Gospel of Luke. I’m sure both of these can be bought at EWTN.com.

Thanks so much everyone, I forgot about Kimbery Hahn and am just becoming a Women of Grace fan thanks to EWTN! I agree Beth and Joyce need to come home:)

And yes, we have the same Magnificat in our Bibles- but as time went on and churches got further away from their founders who all believed in the perpetual virginity of Mary (Calvin, Luther, Wesley) the Prostestant churches I believe have been the poorer, knowing now what I know about our Blessed Mother. I can’t imagine a morning now without praying a Rosary and for asking her to pray for me as I sleep at night as I end the Liturgy of the Hours. When I think of the treasures I have found it is hard not to just want to shout about it! I think the key is to take what is good and true from Protestant churches as there is much that certainly is while not forgetting who I now am in Christ and His Church.

Keep the recommendations coming!

Val

I know her more in terms of popular level moral theology than Scripture study, but Dr. Janet Smith publishes rather a lot of good catholic stuff.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.