Are there any jobs out there for someone wanting to know what priesthood is like?

Hello Again,

I posted earlier to ask some questions, and I think that I got some good answers. I now have a more basic understanding of what the priesthood would be like, and it is still something that I am interested in. For some reason, I just can’t get the thought out of my mind. That being said, I am trying to find a way to be able to further explore my options.

I know that once you decide to become a priest, it is a lifelong commitment both with yourself and with God, and it is what you devote all your time to. Because of that, I am wondering if there are any jobs out there that would give me a taste of what the priesthood is like.

I know that i could always be a volunteer at my church (and I am) but a job is different. It is what you make your living from, unlike volunteering which you don’t have to do. And a job is a lot more serious, you have to be more committed and has different implications as far as what is expected of you.

Because of that, i figured that finding a job with duties similar to what a priest would do (if such a job exists) would give me a more in depth experience and more of an idea of what the priesthood would be like. That being said, what would you suggest i do? A job would be the best because of what one would require, but I am open to other options as well.

I think instead of looking for a ‘job’ you may be better seeking a vocation. Think of all the ‘jobs’ that you think it takes a very special person to do. ie: in the mental health field or with folks with disabilities, or homeless shelters or troubled youth etc. Look especially for Catholic or at least Christian agencies. Myself, found a good place was with L’Arche. they have communities all around the world and a quick online search will tell you alot. God Bless your search.

The other poster is correct. A job brings livelihood, but priesthood is a person’s life itself.

If you’re looking for it, I’d suggest contacting your Vocation Director (if you haven’t already done so), and asking if it would be possible to shadow a priest for a few days (probably spaced out over several weeks). That’s the best thing that’ll help you understand.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.