Are there any mysteries in the koran?

Are there any mysteries in the koran? or in the Hadieths? i really cant see any,if there is could some body point them out to me please…

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of such mysteries?

thats another question…

could you answer mine please, i dont know the answer to it.

I’ve no idea partly because it’s a long time since I read the Qur’an and partly because I don’t understand what you mean by ‘mysteries’ and their potential function.

I’m a bit confused as well.

Definition of the word mystery:

“something that is difficult or impossible to understand or explain”

:smiley:

Help us here with more details DoorMouse…

Whether Allah has literal hands or feet. Some believe Allah has two right hands “somehow.” When Allah puts his foot in Hell to take someone out, whether or not it’s a literal foot is up for debate. Some believe Allah has two feet, some one, some believe it’s a metaphor.

The reason why John Baptized and why Allah faked Jesus’s death is considered a mystery in Islam when Muslims are questioned on it.

sorry,as the Eucharist…

sacraments (7)

the Holy spirit that brought Jesus. so on so forth…

Mystery as in the Christian understanding of sacrament or mystery as in things not understood? In the second case I think the quran posits a view of negative theology which goes further than any eastern Christian has and says God is nothing like his creation. All one need to do is ask a muslim to say or define God, does their God have an essence? Muslims will often say no. Is their God a person? A being with a mind, ability to think? They say they do not know.

I think that would be the greatest “mystery,” for the God of the koran. He is absolutely like nothing in creation that to compare even one thing into creation and say it is like allah is akin to blasphemy.

Of course, such a mysterious God is a God whom we can know nothing about.

No, they don’t have those at all.

To Islam, Gabriel is the Holy Spirit

Yes. There are some surahs that start with disjointed arabic letters (in others words, there are verses of the Qur’an that are only one letter long). The meaning of these are mysteries; Abdullah Yusuf Ali and Muhammad Asad both say, in their respective tafsirs, that only Allah knows the true meaning behind these verses with disjointed letters.

No, that’s never been up for debate, because Tawheed has been the central teaching of Islam from the very beginning. Surah 112 clears all this up; it’s the perfect description of Tawheed. It says “There is nothing like unto Him”; in other words, nothing in creation is similar to Him (and hands are obviously a created thing).

Allah did not fake Jesus’ death-- he saved Jesus [peace be upon him]. The idea that someone else was put on the cross in his place is a mere interpretation (one of several possible interpretations of surah 4:157). As for John [peace be upon him] baptizing people, where’s the mystery in that? he baptized people. So what?

in others words, there are verses of the Qur’an that are only one letter long

could you tell me what the letter is?or the individual letters if plural,please.

Islam does believe in the virgin birth; and though accepting this divine miracle, Islam does not think it proper to designate Allah as Jesus’ father.

I believe there is also a hadith which comes very close to the Immaculate Conception, teaching that only Mary and Jesus were born untouched by Satan. I think it is based on the following verse in the Qoran:

Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! Allah hath chosen thee and purified thee- chosen thee above the women of all nations. [Sura 3:42]

There’s also the mystery of Muhammed’s ascent into heaven, known as the Night Journey.

If your question is about miracles in general; the reality of miracles is certainly accepted in Islam.

Sure. If you want the full list, go to the wikipedia page and scroll down to the section entitled “The complete Muqatta’at letters and their appearance in the Quran”. The rest of the article is worth reading, but you don’t have to do that. :cool:

The Thing is the apostles themselves were apparently fooled by allah as much as the enemies of Jesus. They were totally unaware (from all the evidence we have) that Jesus was apparently taken up into heaven.

But I want to ask you, is your God like nothing in creation? Is there nothing in creation we can point to and say God, at least on some basic level resembles that?

I don’t know if I’d agree that Jesus’ apostles were fooled. The Bible’s documentation of the resurrection is highly questionable inasmuch as it didn’t appear in Mark’s Gospel and the other three accounts [Luke, Matthew and John] don’t match up.

Yes, muslims believe that God is totally dissimilar to His Creation (the Heavens and the Earth). So, while there are Qur’anic passages that say something to the effect of “All will perish, but Allah’s Face” or “Allah’s Hand was over their hands”, those are just metaphorical statements. Like I said, surah 112 of the Qur’an is the perfect example of what muslims believe about Allah: “Say: He is Allah, the One and Only; Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not, nor is He begotten and there is none like unto Him

Another thing that can be asked is “If Allah is merciful and some people are merciful, isn’t Allah similar to merciful people?” and to that I would say no. True, you can find mercy in people, but their mercy is unlike God’s. Our mercy is limited by our relatively weak capacity to show mercy, whereas God is Infinite. Unlike us, He’s not bound by past memories, weakness, bias, etc.

Islam is a made up religion. Muhammad was no more a profit of God then as I am now. The only mystery surrounding Islam and the Koran is what to do about it now that this monster has been unleashed on us.

The Bahai Revelation takes this one step further than the Muhammadan (ie. Quranic) Revelation. The Bahai view completely removed God beyond all description at the level of God’s Essence such that all these Attributes of God (ie. the Merciful One) are descriptors of His Supreme Manifestation not God.

The mystery is how many believe.

thank you jakasaki…it was on my mind and i could not find if they have any or not… so the answer is a no then.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.