Are there any specific posture/dress codes for Sacrament reception?

Hello, friends.

I wonder if there are any specific posture or dress codes for properly receiving the Sacraments. These are two examples that may help explain my question:

1. Yesterday, I went to Confession, but as the priest recited the absolution prayer, I noticed that I was clutching my purse to my chest and worried whether this might be an improper posture and thus invalidate the Sacrament. (The priest said not to worry about it, but I feel a little paranoid due to the increase of unorthodox clergy in recent years.)

2. Eyeroll-worthy example ahead, but please bear with me: Recently, a bird pooped on me, and some of that poop landed on my shoe, which I didn’t quite get around to cleaning before I attended Sunday Mass. During that Mass, I went to Confession and received Communion. I worry whether doing that with dirty shoes, though, may again invalidate the Sacraments or constitute some kind of sin or disrespect to the Lord.

3. On occasion, when I go to Mass, I go to receive Communion taking my purse with me (seems more prudent than leaving it on the pew, since I live in a rather unsafe country). I have wondered whether this is okay, or whether one should go to receive Communion without carrying or grasping anything.

So this is what I’d like to know – whether these apparent external problems actually impede or somehow nullify my reception of the Sacraments. If not, then what about the psychological aspect, like my being worried about these posture/clothing issues as I receive absolution or Communion?

I know I’m a pretty serious case of scrupulosity. I do intend on dealing with that with my spiritual director. However, it’ll be a long while before I can see him again, and for the time being, I’d just like to know whether these things I’m worrying about are indeed just my scruples or if it’s something I legitimately should be concerned about.

Thank you for your time, and thank you for all you do. :slight_smile:

These links should give you the answers that you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]
Can I be sure I’ll be forgiven?**
]* What should I do regarding these scrupulous issues?**
]* Am I being scrupulous?**
]* Is the book “Understanding Scrupulosity” OK?**
]* How do I conquer scrupulosity?**
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.