Are there any Third Order Carmelites who are in an EF (FSSP) parish here?

Since my conversion, I’ve been drawn to the Carmelite spiritual tradition, and as soon as I heard about the Third Order Carmelites, I knew that it was a vocation that I was drawn to.

I’ve been discerning the Third Order Carmelite vocation for years now, and am working on reading the Carmelite classics and obtaining the personal discipline needed to join the order. I am currently enrolled in the Confraternity of the Brown Scapular and living those standards (virtue in my vocation of marriage, daily rosary), go to daily mass, and spend time every day in mental prayer. The only discipline I’m really struggling with is the Divine Office/LOTH.

Because I go to daily mass at an EF parish, if I do the LOTH readings, they’re often out of sync with the 1962 liturgical calendar. For example, in OF parishes, the feast day of St. John Vianney is celebrated tomorrow, whereas in my EF FSSP parish, tomorrow will be the feast day of St. Dominic, with the feast day of St. John Vianney on August 8th. I have the Breviarium Meum iPhone app by the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate, and it has the Latin and English prayers side-by-side. It makes it very easy to find time to pray the Lauds and Vespers. However, because I pray the prayers in English instead of the intended Latin, I feel like I’m missing the benefits of praying the hours with all of the religious in the church.

So here are my questions (please answer all or even just one if you’d like):

1. If you go to an EF parish, did you join the EF parish before or after your OCDS formation?
  2. Do you pray the LOTH, the Divine Office, the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary, or another alternative?
  3. How long did you discern before you decided to put in your application to be an aspirant?
  4. How did you decide which Third Order group to join? How did you find out about how to contact them?
  5. Do you find any conflicts or challenges with being in both an EF parish and an OCDS group?

Thank you everyone for any help or words of wisdom you may have. I need all the help I can get! :signofcross:

Okay, talk about prayers answered. An email went out to the parish mailing list this morning, and Father was asking if there was any interest in forming a Third Order Carmelite group for our parish! Blessed be God! So hopefully I'll be able to join a Third Order group with like-minded Catholics, and we will be able to find the answers that we need to grow closer to God, together.

Saying an extra few prayers of thanks to Our Lady of Mount Carmel today.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3iPpHTm5K3I/Thbw0s5S8MI/AAAAAAAAA-E/v68IKmABcJU/s1600/Our-Lady-of-Mount-Carmel%255B1%255D.jpg

Wonderful! I hope it all works for you according to God's will.

What a wonderful picture!

God bless,
~Rae

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.