Are there any verses where Jesus says he is the word

Is there any verses in the bible, where Jesus specifically says, he is the word???

Hi TheSufi.

I’m afraid I’m not going to answer your question (I’m sure someone else will), but I just wanted to say how much I love the writings of Sufis, especially Attar and Rumi.

John 1:1

That’s John speaking, not Jesus. Where did Jesus say he was the word???

I’d be even more interested in what you thought process is. I get the impression you might feel that scripture has no legitimacy except for words of Christ recorded by the evangelists.

Hopefully, I am off base, but if that’s where your heading, you have suddenly come to consider the entire OT to be irrelevant to the history and economy of salvation, as well as the majority of the NT.

Please tell me I am not understanding you!

I would recommend reading Pope Benedict XVI’s Jesus of Nazareth. He gives a good and in depth exegesis on the Gospel of John.

This inquiry is like any other muslim always asking:

Where did Jesus say he is God - worship me!

John 5:37 And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen,

38 and you do not have His Word abiding in you, for you do not believe the one whom he has sent.

That’s the best I could do for you.

Not directly. Being that Holy Scriptures are inspired by the Holy Spirit of God it is understood that the Apostle John was given the revelation that Jesus is the Word of God.

Jesus did say in regards to himself (I am statements):

John 6:51:“I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever;”

John 8:23: And He said to them, "You are from beneath; I AM from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.

John 8:12: Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I AM the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

John 10:9: “I AM the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.”

John 10:11: "I AM the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.

John 10:36: "do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

John 11:25: Jesus said to her, "I AM the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.

John 14:6: Jesus said to him, "I AM the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 15:1: "I AM the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.

To add to that Isaiah, the egō eimi in John 18:5 which causes the guards to fall:

18:4 Then Jesus, knowing all that would happen to him, came forward and said to them, "Whom do you seek? "

5 They answered him, "Jesus of Nazareth. " Jesus said to them, "I am he. " { Greek b I am b; also verses 6, 8 } Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them.

6 When Jesus { Greek b he b } said to them, "I am he, " they drew back and fell to the ground.

7 So he asked them again, "Whom do you seek? " And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth. "

8 Jesus answered, "I told you that I am he. So, if you seek me, let these men go. "

Taken from Patrick457 forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=831832

Hebrew (Isaiah 43:10-13, 25 NRSV)

You are my witnesses, says the LORD,
and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he (’ănî hû’).
Before me no god was formed,
nor shall there be any after me.
I, I am the LORD (’ānōḵî ’ānōḵî Yhwh),
and besides me there is no savior.
I (’ānōḵî) declared and saved and proclaimed,
when there was no strange god among you;
and you are my witnesses, says the LORD.
I am God (’ănî ’Ēl), and also henceforth I am He (’ănî hû’);
there is no one who can deliver from my hand;
I work and who can hinder it?

…] I, I am He (’ānōḵî ’ānōḵî hû’)
who blots out your transgressions for my own sake,
and I will not remember your sins.

===

Greek (New English Translation of the Septuagint)

Be my witnesses; I too am a witness, says the Lord God,
and the servant whom I have chosen
so that you may know and believe
and understand that I am (egō eimi).
Before me there was no other god,
nor shall there be any after me.
I am God (egō ho Theos),
and besides me there is none who saves.
I declared and saved; I reproached
and there was no stranger among you.
You are my witnesses;
I too am a witness, says the Lord God.
Even from the beginning
there is also no one who rescues from my hands;
I will do it, and who will turn it back?

I am, I am (egō eimi egō eimi)
the one who blots out your acts of lawlessness,
and I will not remember them at all.[/INDENT]

TheSufi, you will find that all throughout the Gospels where Jesus’ divinity is challenged, he avoids the questions as much as possible, hence why he refers to himself as “the Son of Man.” because he wanted people to see it, to recognise who he was.

Luke 9:18-21
Mark 8:27-30
Matthew 16:13-20

This is the same question he asks mankind today, “Who do you say that I am?” Who is he for every man or woman, what’s important to Jesus is our personal response to these great questions: Who Am I for you? What do I mean to you?

As when Jesus would be taken before Pilate and he would say: “Are you the King of the Jews?”, Jesus replied: *“Does that question come from you or are you repeating what others told you about Me?” *(John 18:33-34) In the same way, when we tell Him: “You are the Lord, You are God; You are the Son of God”, Jesus asks us: Do you say this of your own accord, or is it because you have heard it?

If you don’t believe Jesus is God, than on what authority could he tell you that he is? He came to tell of the truth and all of those who belong to the truth know his voice, Jesus is the truth, the way and the life.

Thank you for reading
Josh

So God doesn’t make it clear who He is, but expects you to figure it out, if not burn in hell forever.

So that what you are saying?

Why not listen to people who actually KNEW Jesus?

I see that the Gospel of John was referred to several times already.

“Oh no, don’t trust the ‘Apostles’ of Jesus, who yes knew him, trust Muhammad Rasulallah!”
(Trust me, bad idea)

It is also important to understand what the Greek is telling us about Jesus the Word:En archē ēn ho Lógos,
kai ho Lógos ēn pros ton Theón,
kai Theós ēn ho Lógos. [INDENT]In beginning was the Word,
and the Word was with the God,
and God was the Word.
– (John 1:1)
[/INDENT]A few cults (WHICH ISLAM IS NOT) that claim to be “Christian” trip up on that verse a lot.

First, IN THE BEGINNING, the Word WAS. Now the Greek is very emphatic compared to
English, and what the Greek text is telling us is that “In the Beginning,” however far back
you want to push the beginning of time, THE WORD ALREADY EXISTED! So here in this
verse, we find out that the Word is Eternal.

Next line, the Word was WITH “The God” (Equivalent to “Allah”). In the Greek, which is a-
gain more emphatic than the English, there are several forms of “WITH”, and the one John
uses is “pros”, indicating “FACE TO FACE” with God, which tells us that the WORD is a
PERSON, and he was WITH God.

Last line, we find that John uses a different form of “god” in Greek, not “ton Theon” (God
with the definite article “the”), but instead “Theos.” Now in the Greek, nouns can be def-
inite, indefinite, or qualitative, depending on how it is used. Jehovah’s Witness has used
“Theos” in John to mean that Jesus is a separate ontological deity from the Father (you
and I can both facepalm them), but if we put it in the context used by Monotheistic Jew
who penned the Gospel, we should conclude that “Theos” is being poetically used as a
qualitative word, not indefinite.

Eternally existing was the Word, the Word
was present with the God, WE’RE BEING
TOLD SOMETHING ABOUT THE WORD,
and the Word is as to his nature DEITY!

Do we have two gods? No, we have two persons who are identified as the same God.

Later John writes:And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among
us, (and we saw his glory, the glory as it were of
the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and
truth.
– (John 1:14)
After reading John’s account of Jesus, near the end, we read:…but these are written that you may believe that
Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that be-
lieving you may have life in his name.
– (John 20:31)
John’s Gospel has made a very strong point, listen him.

Did you read the posts here?

Do you remember what he said when John the Baptist’s followers went looking for him?

No. Please read my post again. Like I said in regard to your thread question, If you don’t believe Jesus is God, than on what authority could he tell you that he is?

*"6 God will bless everyone who doesn’t reject me because of what I do.” * Matthew 11:6

I would just ask you to please read the Gospels Matthew, Mark, Luke and John without bias toward them, It is said that the Gospel hits us hard, and it has to be so, because it is the Word cast onto the world by God. And it is because Jesus possessed a profound vision of that reality, that even in our times, the Word gives His own validity to the past in order to integrate it into our today, and opens at the same time, a great gateway of hope towards tomorrow.

The words of Jesus will produce the effect of a great truth in souls and many souls will surrender to his Love.

Thank you for reading
Josh

The words of Jesus will produce the effect of a great truth in souls and many souls will surrender to his Love.

Thank you for reading
Josh

TheSufi, you and I have had our fierce discussions and I apologize if I’ve ever come across as unreasonable or unloving. I hope you find what you’re searching for and I want you to know that I love you as a brother because of your search for truth, just as I search for absolute truth.

Good luck to you TheSufi.

As for your exact question, Jesus really does reveal Himself and answer your question near the end of John. Jesus never wanted to tell people and have them otherwise “burn in Hell” but He did want people to figure it out themselves. By God’s mercy we are left with this passage:

John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe. "

28 Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God! "

29 Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed. "

TheSufi, do you believe even though you have not seen? And if not, will you? Jesus wants for you what He wished for Thomas, but by God’s mercy He left us this verse which is similar to what you’re going through.

All the best.

Perhaps you would like to clarify why it is important to you that he actually said that? If you know the Jesus in the Bible, he is the most humble man there is. He has the power and authority but you wouldn’t see him displaying any arrogance. He doesn’t lie and he doesn’t accept falsehood. When his followers said Jesus is Lord God, he didn’t deny it but accepted it. If he had denied that he is Lord God, he would have lied.

Secondly, even if someone were to claim to be “X”, if he does not display the attributes of “X”, there is nothing much to say except to say that he claims to be “X”.

BTW, didn’t the Quran said something about Jesus being the Word of God too?

Women chapter (Surat An-Nisa) 171
The family of Imran chapter (Surat Al-Imran) 39
The family of Imran chapter (Surat Al-Imran) 45

Just wondering what is the purpose of your query.

I know who God is. And if I did not know Him, He surely would not have me burn in hell. God is love. He would ask another who knows Him to speak about Him to the one who does not know Him. As I am speaking to you now. God loves you Sufi and he wants you to know Him. You will know Him by His Son Jesus as God speaks perfectly through Him. God is not a solitude. He is Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The eternal love between the Father and the Son has been gifted to the human race by and through their Holy Spirit. God is love, Love is where you discover Him. This love is Christ Himself.
Rich
utahmission.com

Prophets of God are always right, their disciples and companions can be wrong.

Someone asked,** If you don’t believe Jesus is God, than on what authority could he tell you that he is?**

My answer: If Jesus is God or a prophet has a authority by the virtue of who he, Prophet or God. What is more authoritative then being God or a Prophet???

You on the other hand have no authority, your opinion has no weight. It is just an opinion, just like mine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.