Are there certain signs that indicate a vocation?

I am reading Seeking Spiritual Direction by Thomas Dubay, S.M..
There is a passage that says "...the signs of the call [to a vocation] are by no means clear to many young men and women," and there are some other parts that say something about spiritual directors pointing these hallmark signs out to their directees, etc.

Are there certain personality traits, yearnings, signs, or anything of that nature that points to a vocation of religious life or married life? I am not sure if I am taking the author too literally.
If there are certain signs, what would they be (for all three vocations)?

Gracias for all of the help!

[quote="PowderBear, post:1, topic:224070"]
There is a passage that says "...the signs of the call [to a vocation] are by no means clear to many young men and women," and there are some other parts that say something about spiritual directors pointing these hallmark signs out to their directees, etc.

Are there certain personality traits, yearnings, signs, or anything of that nature that points to a vocation of religious life or married life? I am not sure if I am taking the author too literally.

[/quote]

1. Be silent, be still, and listen for God's call. "Be silent, and know that I am the LORD."

2. Be receptive in daily life and open to God's communications. "Seek, and you shall find."

God Himself calls us, and we follow : 3. Read the Gospels, and pay particular attention to those verses describing the calling of the 12, and Our Lord's instructions to those seeking the Kingdom, for example.

Remember that it is the Living God Himself Who calls us, saying, "Follow me." Reading the biographies of the Saints is another good grounding point for discerning God's call to His special service.

Above all : pray, pray, and pray.

Hope this helps.

Pax,
and may God bless you,
Tim.

[quote="PowderBear, post:1, topic:224070"]

[/quote]

With growing up in the Catholic Church and having a great aunt who was Franciscan nun, I have always been drawn to the Franciscan way of life. The Catholic School I went to was headed by a Franciscan nun as well. After much prayer and discernment and many years of not even understanding what God had in store for me, it just dawned on me that I really felt that the Franciscan way of life was what I need to observe. I don't regret it and being in Formation in the Secular Franciscan Order, I am truly at peace with my spiritual life. Growing up in Catholic and Franciscan community as far as the Catholic part of my town I felt I ignored my true calling for years.

Thank you both for your help. I feel as if I cannot differentiate God's voice from the other voices (i.e. culture voice, parent tapes, guilt/obligation voice, etc., not mental instability voices), so it may involve a lot of time and prayer. But thank you regardless!! :)

These links may assist you

vocations.com/discern/signs_pable.html

religious-vocation.com/discerning_religious_vocation.html

catholicism.org/the-better-part-the-religious-or-priestly-vocation.html

I also believe that many Dioceses have vocations sites in which discernment and signs of a vocation are discussed (usually).

Hope this will help you in your search for God's will for your life.

AmorDei

Thank you. These links are extremely helpful. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.