Are there different types of prayer within Catholicism?

Are there different types of prayer within Catholicism? Or are all prayers the same type, same format, and same intention? Under what circumstances can the Catholic prayer be used? In Catholicism, what is prayer supposed to mean, as opposed to the Christian Science view of prayer? (“Christian Science” is a Christian denomination. It just has an awfully confusing and misleading name.)

From the brief reading I did of the link provided I would say that the difference is significant.

There are varying forms of prayers for varying reasons. Prayers are petitions to God, either asking for some blessing, miracle, or to bring ourselves into closer union with God. Prayers are also ways of expressing our love and gratitude towards God. Prayer can also be ways we worship God, such as during the Liturgy.

What prayers are not is a method that take away illnesses. If a miracle is brought about through prayer, it is not due to the power of the prayer itself or the power of the person praying (or Practioner, in this case), but due to the power of God.

Praying is our way of communicating with God and drawing closer to him. The Christian Science version of praying sounds more like a positive thinking type of praying. The person is talking to the illness or disease, while in Catholic prayer, we are speaking to God.

Okay. Cool. Is there a concept in Catholicism to describe a phenomenon in which a person communicates with the supernatural with incense and pays respect to the gods?

The only supernatural that is communicated to is God and his Angels and Saints, the latter two being asked to pray for us as well as present our petitions before God. Incense is used in Catholicism to represent our prayers being brought up before God, such as is seen in Revelation when the Saints offer prayers as incense. Once again, this is all part of prayer. Oh, and no gods, just God.

There is no such thing in Catholicism. Incense is used as a symbol of our prayers rising to God, much as it has been used throughout OT times. We do not communicate with God with incense, and it is not used to pay respect to God. It is purely used to symbolize our prayers, and it isn’t even necessary to use it.

What have you been reading to ask such a question, BTW?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains the three expressions of prayer in 2700-2724.

Hi, I’ve been to 4 masses but didn’t see or smell insense. Where is it placed?

Incense isn’t always used at every mass. I don’t know the specifics, but I think it may be used for special masses.

And welcome to CAF!!

Incense can be used at every Mass, but most parishes restrict its use somewhat. Sometimes for allergy/asthma suffers and sometimes for expense reasons. My parish has a hypoallergenic incense and they use it more Sundays in the Easter and Christmas seasons and for other High feasts (Christ the King).

Incense isn’t “placed” anywhere in Catholicism. If it is used, it is in a thurible used at specific points during the Mass. Often at the very beginning of Mass, the altar is incensed, then during the Gospel reading, the book is incensed, and then during the preparation of the gifts, the altar is again incensed, as well as the priest, and congregation. The incense is then keep burning during the consecration.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.