Are there different versions of the Ten Commandments?

OUr church, St. Alberts, has a monument with the ten commandments. A non-catholic Christian friend noticed them and said to my husband, "Oh yes, that church has the 10commandments out front. That is really neat but I noticed that they are different from the protestant version. My husband didn’t know that and didn’t have an answer as to why so he asked me. I told him that I knew they were different but that I didn’t know the premise. I know that the coveting of neighbors goods and wife were separate and that there were no graven images issues in the catholic version, or so I think. I believe that they are separate because goods are property and wife is not and that graven images goes under no gods before me. But can you give a background on how this came about and who initiated the change? Thank you so much.

These links should give you the answers that you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
**Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]Why is there confusion about the numbering of the Ten Commandments?
*]Did the Catholic Church Change the Ten Commandments?
*]Ten Commandments
*]Why do Catholics & Protestants have different 10 Commandments?
*]%between%Why does the Church allow images when the Ten Commandments forbids them?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.