Are there Dominican sisters that preach?

I mean sisters that go around spreading the gospel? Thanks!

It depends on what you mean by preaching. There are several religious orders of Sisters that teach and are an active presence of Christ to their students and other observers. Two very good examples are:

Dominicans Sisters of St. Cecilia in Nashville, TN

Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist in Ann Arbor, MI

If you mean more like missionary Sisters where they visit foreign countries to preach, they are around as well.

What kind of preaching do you feel called to? I would be more than happy to refer you to some awesome orders to look at. :slight_smile:

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:2, topic:253521"]
It depends on what you mean by preaching. There are several religious orders of Sisters that teach and are an active presence of Christ to their students and other observers. Two very good examples are:

Dominicans Sisters of St. Cecilia in Nashville, TN

Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist in Ann Arbor, MI

If you mean more like missionary Sisters where they visit foreign countries to preach, they are around as well.

What kind of preaching do you feel called to? I would be more than happy to refer you to some awesome orders to look at. :)

[/quote]

I have a calling to bring Catholics back to Christ. Set them on fire for the LORD!!! I have a gift for speaking, btw.

Do you believe you have the capacity to be a teacher? Or would you rather serve the poor? Or would you rather help give retreats? This would help me narrow it down to give you some good choices. :slight_smile:

teaching I could, but standing behind the pulpit is where I'd rather be.

[quote="White_Peony, post:5, topic:253521"]

[/quote]

Well, apart from the two orders I previously mentioned, I would have you check into these orders:

Dominican Sisters of the Immaculate Conception

Dominican Sisters of Divine Providence

Dominican Sisters of Charity of the Presentation of Mary

It should be noted that all Dominicans are included in the Order of Preachers (O.P.). They all have different ways of expressing the charism of preaching. I think you would really like the Dominican Sisters in Ann Arbor as they are very good at evangelizing youth.

Thanks!

You’re welcome!

These are some more to check out, including the Nashville Dominicans’ website, which I forgot to give you earlier:

Nashville Dominicans

Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose

Daughters of St. Dominic

Also, there is a newer order that combines Franciscan AND Dominican spiritualities into one. They do retreats and conferences. I’m discerning with this order:

Sister Servants of the Eternal Word

If you are feeling bold enough to travel to the UK to discern, then I would also recommend these communities:

Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph (very similar to the Sister Servants)

Dominican Sisters of the English Congregation of St. Catherine of Siena

[quote="White_Peony, post:5, topic:253521"]

[/quote]

Well, you know that women CAN'T be priests, so you wouldn't be able to 'stand behind a pulpit'.

The suggestions that several posters have given of communities of Dominican Sisters are very good....look into them.

[quote="barb_finnegan, post:9, topic:253521"]
Well, you know that women CAN'T be priests, so you wouldn't be able to 'stand behind a pulpit'.

The suggestions that several posters have given of communities of Dominican Sisters are very good....look into them.

[/quote]

Ya, what I meant was speaking in front of people. :))

I have been looking into the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist for a while now.

. . . I wouldn't get too hung up about preaching "before a pulpit."

More than half the people you'd be talking to would, the moment you popped behind it, slouch back and say to themselves, "zone out time."

I'm much more impressed at hearing that there's a Dominican that preaches at the local mall, gets a regular spot and time from the mall manager, and just gets to talk to everybody. . . and of course, the one's listening are certainly listening, and he draws in all sorts of people with all sorts of concerns. . . better fishing than in church! :)

My daughter is a member of the St. Cecilia Congregation of Dominicans in Nashville, and in their close association with their many teaching missions, as well as their role in Teaching at St. Aquinas College here in Nashville, they certainly do a masterful job of preaching.
The order here in Nashville is exploding with new vocations, and it is apparant to all that are in contact with this order of Dominicans that they preach very effectively, and sometimes without saying a word. They live a life that is so joyful that it is an inspiration to any members of the community that come into contact with the Sisters of St. Cecilia. Their members that teach at the College periodically give very effective presentations and talks that are well attended and valuable.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.