Are there Gluten-free hosts?

I have a good friend who is on a gluten restricted diet regimen. One day, she announced to me that her friend and confessor, a monsignor in her diocese, told her that he was going to order a gluten free bread to consecrate for her when he celebrates the Mass, so she can be able to share in the Eucharist worry free. This troubled me for various reasons. I am aware that there are very strict recipes for the bread and specific types of wine that may be used for consecration of the Host and the Precious Blood. Moreover, when we receive it, it is no longer simple bread and wine, but the Body and Blood of Our Lord, Jesus Christ. I know people who are alcoholics who drink from the Precious Cup and have no issues, so I do not understand how receiving Holy Communion would be a problem.

I would like to know if this is true. Are there gluten free options for The Eucharist? If there is, would not it be utilized at all occasions, especially since so many claim to be affected by it? (Excuse me if I am exhibiting some sarcasm or skepticism, but I fear that whole gluten issue might be another gimmick) For a time a few years ago, some parishes were baking their own bread and in this diocese, that practice was suspended, because people were adding honey and other elements that were not to be present. So to find that accommodations for people who restrict their gluten intake is something about which I am skeptical.

Thank you,
Iris Marie of the Magnificat

The following link should answer your question about gluten-free hosts. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Must the Eucharist contain wheat?
Does the Church offer gluten-free hosts?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.