Are There New Beautitudes?

I read in the WSJ that Pope Francis suggests adding 8 new beatitudes to those already existing. He would add ones dealing with environmentalism and ecumenism among others.

As I understand the original beatitudes, they were delivered by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount. It is my understanding that the Scriptures are the final and definitive word on public revelation. If this is the case, how can Pope Francis add to the teaching of Jesus by introducing, e.g., environmentalism as a beatitude.

Also, does this constitute speaking Ex Cathedra making the Pope infallible in precepts of faith and morals?

I am looking forward to your response as I am greatly confused.

In this case the word “beatitudes” is being used loosely, the Pope is not literally adding to the Sermon on the Mount.

If you look closes at the “new” beatitudes they are generally just a modern rewording of the “original” beatitudes as well as Jesus’ words in the Gospels:[list]
*] Blessed are those who remain faithful while enduring evils inflicted on them by others, and forgive them from their heart.
*] Blessed are those who look into the eyes of the abandoned and marginalized, and show them their closeness.
*] Blessed are those who see God in every person, and strive to make others also discover him.
*] Blessed are those who protect and care for our common home.
*] Blessed are those who renounce their own comfort in order to help others.
*] Blessed are those who pray and work for full communion between Christians.[/list]

The Holy Father was simply drawing our attention to ways that we can implement the beatitudes in the modern world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.