Are there Old Testament saints?

I was not aware as a child that anyone born in Old Testament times was canonized other than the parents of Mary and John the Baptist, but I see that this month we celebrate feast days for Adam and Eve and for Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. When were these feast days established? Are there miracles attributed to the intercession of these saints that were part of the canonization process?

Thank you, and have a blessed Christmas!!!

Old Testament saints (and New Testament saints) were not canonized because canonization is a process that developed centuries later. Saints prior to that time were acclaimed (i.e., acknowledged) by the people. Old Testament patriarchs and other heroes of the faith therefore are commonly acknowledged to be saints and have feast days set aside for them, but they did not go through a formal process that would require miracles attributed to their intercession.

Merry Christmas!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.