Are there people here at CAF, Catholics and non-Catholics that for the sake of ecumenicalism are compromising their own faith?

[FONT=Arial][size=2]Are there people here at CAF, Catholics and non-Catholics that for the sake of ecumenicalism, are compromising their own faith? [/FONT][/size]

[FONT=Arial][size=2]At what point does compromise equal rejection of ones own faith?[/size] [/FONT]

Why do some here consider a vigorous defense of ones faith as being “uncharitable”, to a person of another faith?

Additionally, are there people here at CAF, Catholics and non-Catholics that because of a personal overriding desire towards ecumenicalism, and “being nice”, are actually undermining their own are religion?

I agree, I have been told I was uncharitable by defending my Catholic church and I couldn’t figure out what the fine line is, how much I can actually defend my faith without being “uncharitable”.
Also, when others from non-Catholic Christians and Jews post something uncharitable, it’s ok?:shrug:

It’s not ok. :slight_smile: . Love is kind. When people start being unkind then a line has been crossed. The truth can be told through kindness.

Well, try speaking to people who defame your bible, who curse Jesus and say he isn’t real, show me then your kindness. Very difficult.

I refuse to compromise my Faith for anyone. If they don’t like it, they don’t have to deal with me.

Denial of my Faith (and that is what you are talking about) is an afront to Christ. Sorry - not for me.

If you would have had the option: “HELL NO”, I would have chosen that actually. :wink:

~Liza

I think if someone is “bashing” your faith or church, or making ridiculously bogus claims, then you without a doubt have every reason to defend it. I think it should always stay respectful though, especially amongst Christians.

I feel as if I’m a visitor here seeing that this is a Catholic forum, and I therefore respect that. I enjoy reading and sometimes participating in some of the debates on here, but I have to keep in mind that I’m a visitor here(non-Catholic) trying to learn as much as I can. Why people come to this site with the sole purpose of “bashing” Catholics is beyond me.

But I guess to answer your question, I don’t think you have to be uncharitable to defend your faith…even though it’s tough not to do sometimes.

Who is talking about denying your faith?

I believe that there also exists another on-spoken phenomenon, which is evident here at CAF and that is how ecumenicalism is viewed differently by recent Catholic converts, as apposed to cradle Catholics, as apposed to former Catholics and finally those who have never been Catholic.

To a certain extant, what constitutes acceptable “ecumenicalism”… is in the eye of the beholder…right?

This un-spoken phenomenon, also applies the definition of was is, or is not; considered “charitable”?

As a lay Roman Catholic, I will always differ to the Catholic Pope and the Magisterium for these definitions.

Does anyone here know what Pope Benedict XVI said about, ecumenicalism with non-Catholics?

Does anyone here know what their own non-Catholic, religious leaders have said about ecumenicalism with Catholics?

Hello carjack,

No one here has said that it is ok to be unkind…and that is the point of this thread, who gets to say what is “unkind” (other than the moderators here, of course :smiley: ), what is acceptable ecumenicalism? and is defending your own faith being, “un-kind”?

If someone, on the other hand, undermines their own faith, are they not being “un-kind” to their fellow members?

Peace :slight_smile:

Imo a person becomes unkind when they don’t tell the truth, I don’t believe it’s unkind to speak the truth in love.

The Lord Jesus is the perfect example of how to speak the truth in love. Please read the following comments He made;

37 “I know that you are Abraham’s descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. 38 I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have seen with[l] your father.” 39 They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham.

40 But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the deeds of your father.” Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father—God.” 42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me.

43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. 46 Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? 47 He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.” John 8:37-47

I may be one of the “too nice” people on here. I simply feel that nothing is gained in argument. Only in speaking calmly to each other can we hear. We hurt ourselves when we say non-Catholics are evil, then try to tell them how good we are.

I am not willing to give up my faith, or water it down to make someone happy, though.

To speak the truth in love is not unkind. I agree :slight_smile:

:

Exactly. That was what i was trying say, but it may not have came out right.

I hope there are people here who try to restrain their urges to tell people who disagree with them where to go. It seems as if some people define ‘defending the faith’ as telling people off.

I know some people love a good debate, but I seriously wonder what is accomplished by spending hours engaging in long, fruitless arguments on the internet . I don’t think that really does much to ‘defend the faith’.

Reaching out to people in real life in the name of Christ is what really counts.

I think that when anyone undermines their faith they are being unkind. I think defending your faith in a kind and compassionate way is a good way to keep communication open.

Thank you emeraldisle,

I agree and I would add that being dishonest, disingenuous, deceitful, hypocritical and/or unethical, among other negative human behaviors… is unkind and uncharitable to yourself and to others.

We do not help anyone, when we agree with a lie…

Peace :slight_smile:

Does that mean that it isn’t unkind to tell people who think they can find their own way to God through good works, religion etc that they are wrong because the Lord Jesus says;

“I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

I won’t speak for others, but I can’t recall ever accusing someone of being uncharitable simply for “vigorously” defending their own faith.

What I would consider “uncharitable” would be a disposition to think the worst of people with whom one differs. I’ve been guilty of this myself.

Here are a pair of examples:

1. “Protestantism is heretical.” This is not uncharitable. It’s a doctrinal claim.

2. “Protestants are motivated by hatred of the truth.” This is uncharitable, because it makes a claim about what kind of people we are–a claim which you cannot possibly know to be true.

I would respectfully ask you to look back at your own posts and try to discern whether any accusations you have experienced were motivated by the second kind of claim on your part, or only (as you imply) by the first.

Edwin

There is nothing wrong with telling someone the truth in kindness by love that they are wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.