Are there people in your life who are jealous because you "love Jesus more than" them?

It seems to happen in my life a lot. True, i can’t always prove that in any given case, it is actual jealousy that is causing the problem, but this one relative (young person :rolleyes:) flat-out told me, accusingly: “You love Jesus more than you love me :mad:.”

Guilty as charged… but of course, ieven though i don’t love this person enogh to “ditch Jesus” for him, I do love him… yet somehow he thinks if i really loved him, i would put him over Jesus.

He’s young… so i write if off for that reason… but with others… well, maybe they just aren’t being as honest??

hmmmm… :confused::hmmm:

Are we not commanded to love one another as well? I wonder why such hard feelings? I would question if I was mistreating that person in some way. That was hurt that was told to you… you hurt that young person, that person you love. God doesn’t teach us to do that…I love God more than you. God teaches us to love & love unconditionally. Sorry, but you come across as smug.

you come across as presumptuous… you don’t know a blasted thing about me… i have done nothing to hurt this person…
Smug…

Oh please…

i don’t feel compelled to defend myself against this nonsense…

so … bye…

He doesn’t come across as smug to me. Actually, I can picture a young person saying that if they are not getting their way about something the adult sees as morally wrong or sinful (like missing Mass on Sunday). I’m not sure it is jealously so much as rebellion in that case.

I can also see an adult doing this, for instance, in a marriage, where one partner is faithful to the Church and goes to Mass on Sunday, prays regularly, etc., while the other, who doesn’t care about God or religion, wants the spouse to stay home or do something else on Sunday morning or resents the time spent praying or reading Scripture. That could be actual jealousy.

thank you!!

sounds like you have a few young people in your life! :smiley:

and i agree that maybe it was rebellion or something other than jealousy that motivated this person… one can never say for sure where someone is coming from… it just sounded like jealousy… Actually this person used to defy me all the time on just about everything… i say “used to” because he’s not in my life, to speak of, anymore… :frowning: (and NO, it is not because of anything i said or did… or if it was, i have no idea what… except that, again… a lot of people in my life thoroughly DISLIKE my being a devout Catholic…) As the Word says: How can two walk together when they disagree? And: What fellowship hath light with darkness? And: Do not be unequally yoked with unbelivers…

. I’ve lost MANY relationships over being devoutly Catholic…

but (sigh) Jesus did say: You will be hated by all because of Him…

i have to accept my cross… pick it up daily and carry it…

God bless… :slight_smile:

BTW: I’m a she… :slight_smile:

to be honest, i don’t see too many people who love Jesus more than…

fill in the blanks… _____________

The love you have for Jesus should naturally spill over into all your relationships. I know a priest who says every year that your family should look forward to Lent, because that’s when you treat them the best. This can be generalized to the whole of Christian life. The more you love Jesus, the more you love others. That’s how you lead them to Him. You must not compromise the Truth, but you must spread it with love. As St. Francis de Sales said, “We must cook the Truth in Charity until it tastes sweet.”

Betsy

there are as many definitions of LOVE as there are people in the world…

we are supposed to love Jesus first :slight_smile: and only if we love Him first, can we truly love others in the right way. Any other way it’s disordered love. But sadly, some people find this hurtful and misunderstand. I guess, just pray for them, that they’d see that God should be the top priority in our lives…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.