Are there rock songs you can't help but like?

i don’t like the words in some rock songs but i like the music and sometimes listen to it…

just wondering which groups or songs you like…

i like

SuperTramp

Foreigner (some of it)

Fleetwood Mac

(can’t think of any others right now… don’t listen to rock on a frequent basis)

Also: I heard the song Hotel California was about the Church of Satan in San Francisco… & i believe it becasue this non-Catholic minister went through the whole song and pointed out what different lyrics meant and it made sense… but some poster argued w/ me on that… I say i am right…

for example: “We haven’t had that spirit here since 1969” means the Holy Spirit (wine is supposed to represent the HS)… The Ch of Satan was started in 1969 apparently… (etc)

um…unlike others my age (36) im not stuck on the music i grew up with. heres a list of a few of my faves, in no particular order. (music must be interesting. thats what brings my list together):smiley:

jack white (white stripes, raconteurs)

eminem

wheezer

reo speedwagon

presidents of the united states of america

gwen stefani

pink

foo fighters

tobymac

usher

lynyrd skynyrd

guns n roses

metallica

journey

flobots

owlcity

smash mouth

gnarls barkley

can you dig it?:stuck_out_tongue:

Yes.Alright now by Free,Everything by Lynerd Skynerd,Blackfoot,Buddy Guy,SRV,Beatles,Molly Hatchet and Eric Clapton.I’ve been playing guitar for over 40yrs so I listen to guitar oriented music.Here is a song,let me know if you like it.Molly Hatcher,written by Dave Hublek about the assasination attempt on Pope John Paul ll www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsXpGU5tExY .

John Lennon’s “Imagine” – totally disagree with most of the lyrics, still, I can’t help but like the melody and admire, up to a point, the idealism that inspired it.

I certainly don’t accept the notion that to “imagine there’s no heaven” or “no hell below us” gets people to pay more attention to their fellow man; nor would all the world’s problems be magically solved if there were no countries, no possessions, and “no religion too.”

However, there does seem to be something about the song that expresses the longing we all have for an un-fallen world. If there were no such thing as original sin, there would indeed be “nothing to kill or die for.”

And yes – Eric Clapton’s “Holy Mother” is a REALLY awesome song… he wrote it at a time in his life when he was struggling with addictions and it’s very heartfelt. I believe he’s an Anglican but the song just oozes devotion to the Blessed Mother :slight_smile:

I read Eric was raised Catholc.:shrug:

I ***love ***this track :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAKRw6mToA

It’s better than the English translation. And it’s a very nice video.

There’s even a metal version, by a different group:
[LIST]
*]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFn6iRsojQ8
[/LIST]Brutalism is music does have its attractions :o - that second version is pretty brutal, and very fast-paced.

It’s Weezer. :thumbsup:

“Buddy Holly,” “Beverly Hills,” “The Sweater Song”…heck all of 'em…

I love the “Beverly Hills” lyrics…

*Where I come from isn’t all that great
My automobile is a piece
My fashion sense is a little whack
And my friends are just as screwy as me

I didn’t go to boarding schools
Preppy girls never looked at me
Why should they I ain’t nobody
Got nothing in my pocket

[Chorus]
Beverly Hills - That’s where I want to be!
Living in Beverly Hills…
Beverly Hills - Rolling like a celebrity!
Living in Beverly Hills…

Look at all those movie stars
They’re all so beautiful and clean
When the housemaids scrub the floors
They get the spaces in between
It’s like the song’s a word-for-word response to “Lifestyles of The Rich and Famous,” by Good Charlotte. (“They’re always complaining…!”)

Isn’t “Goodbye Stranger” by Supertramp about one-night stands? I won’t repeat the lyrics here, but all they’re singing about is promiscuity (or/and illicit substances: “Goodbye, Mary, Goodbye Jane”). It’s like the 1980’s alt-radio song “88 Lines About 44 Women,” but it’s the 1970’s version.

I like almost everything by Queen, but the first song that came to my mind when I saw the question was, “We Are The Champions.” I’ve heard it played in sporting venues (figure skating) several times, and it’s always so emotional–just what’s needed when your team wins.

I also like the “Bicycle” song that Queen did. It’s clever.

Although I totally disapprove of Freddie Mercury’s lifestyle, I believe that he was hugely talented, with one of the best voices of any male singer (and that includes the opera singers). It was an absolute tragedy that he died so young. I only hope that somehow, he is in heaven or will be someday so that he and the Angel Gabriel can give us all the best concert in eternity.

Along the same lines, I like some of Meat Loaf’s work, too. You see, it’s a pattern–I like rock bands that feature incredibly creative men with incredibly good voices.

Here’s a link to youtube and my favorite Meat Loaf video, Objects in the Rear View Mirror: youtube.com/watch?v=KE8FX1J6oEg

My favorite actor, Robert Patrick, is in the video, and he loves working with children. I think you can tell watching the video. (He’s the daddy.) (Robert Patrick is the actor who played the melting man in Terminator II Judgement Day.)

My favourites by Queen are all from* A Night At The Opera*. My actual fave is " '39", written and sung by Brian May – it’s a nice little folkie-style number about, of all things, space travel. Number two was written/sung by drummer Roger Taylor: “I’m in Love With My Car”.

[quote=Cat]Along the same lines, I like some of Meat Loaf’s work, too. You see, it’s a pattern–I like rock bands that feature incredibly creative men with incredibly good voices.
[/quote]

Then give some props to Meat’s composer and lyricist: Jim Steinman, the patron saint of overwrought rock anthems (and I mean that in a good way). As well as writing pretty much all of Meat Loaf’s hits, he also wrote Air Supply’s “Making Love Out of Nothing At All”, Bonnie Tyler’s “Total Eclipse of the Heart” and “Holding Out For a Hero”, and Celine Dion’s “It’s All Coming Back To Me Now”.

One of my guiltiest music pleasures were emo songs (most often those by Simple Plan). I also like listening to a bit of Nickelback (including “Rock Star”). The lyrics were definitely not clean but the kind of attitude I got from the tune was really something. Linkin Park music is also another favorite of mine.

There are a few songs by Guns N’ Roses and AC/DC that we listened to before football games in high school, and that still can get my blood flowing to this day. I listen to them on bike rides:

Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, Sweet Child of Mine, and Knock Knock Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door by Guns N’ Roses, and Hell’s Bells and Thunderstruck by AC/DC. Of those, Thunderstruck and Sweet Child of Mine are the only ones I’d actually call clean (Hell’s Bells isn’t that bad either), but they are just such awesome warmup/pregame songs. Thunderstruck I can remember blasting in our locker room before one game, and everybody on the team just banging on their lockers in tune with the music…it was unbelievable. We once played a team that had made Hell’s Bells their theme song, and they actually built a bell tower alongside the field so that they could ring the bell as they came out onto the field.

“Mirrors on the ceiling, Pink Champagne on ice. And she said, we are all just prisoners here, of our own device.” Champagne is the spirit in question. I always believed that Hotel California was a Brothel.
P.S. I like the music to Hell’s Bell’s and Back in Black by AC/DC…:blush::shrug:

Apparently, Hotel California is about the high life for celebrities in Los Angeles during the 1970’s. It looks inviting from the outside, but on the inside, its a trap that’s actually a nightmare of drugs and such. That’s what the Eagles themselves say, at least.

Love the riffs of the heavy stuff myself. If anyone here does they need to check out
Killswitch Engauge. They actually have very inspirational lyrics in most songs.
Other faves are: Disturbed, Flyleaf, Slipknot (guitar and drum), Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, As I Lay Dying, Blindside, and Underoath.

The last three aren"t secular though. They’re actually Christian bands, so they wouldn’t cout i guess. Even htough there just as heavy as the others

I Alone, Live
Wonderwall, Oasis
Dolphin’s Cry, Live
Anything by Sister Hazel
Come Together, The Beatles

:slight_smile:

never even heard of half of these…

i like the old stuff…

Journey

The Police

Phil Collins (Genesis)

some of Led Zepplin

i never knew what it was about…

again, i just listen to the music and ignore the words… and after one or two songs, i play something spritual…

and i didn’t even do that much until fairly recently… but i used to listen to almost nothing but rock… Even then, it didn’t do much damage to ME… i can see where it could hurt some young person not grounded in Christ, though…

i like this one about the media:

"We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing

When its said and done we haven’t told you a thing

We all know that cr** is king,

We love dirty laundry…

Kick em when their up, kick em when their down…

Dirty little secrets, dirty little lies

we’ve got our dirty little fingers in everybody’s pie…

it’s interesting when people die… we love dirty laundry…

(sounds like the Eagles were kinda conservative… ):smiley:

Ronald Reagan despised the media… I don’t think you’re officially Catholic either… if you dont… :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.