Are there secrets locked away in Vatican vaults?

Why does the Church withheld information such as the fatima letters?

Me and my freinds also speculate that there might be other secrets locked away.

Also, are there any other biblical narritives that we are not aware of, that the Church theologions have in there possesion, but do not wish to show people?

Withholding Fatima letters? What Fatima letters, Sr Lucia’s? If that’s the case they’re there on the internet for all to see, not locked away anywhere.

And the gnostic gospels? They’ve all been known of and read fairly widely ever since they were written. Some of them indeed make claims that, if true, are contrary to Christian and Catholic teaching. Doesn’t mean the Church suppressed them, just exposed them for the illogic and nonsense they are.

One example - the Da Vinci Code is based on a few gnostic gospels that have been around since about the third century. These gospels were known and read throughout the land of France for one, and the Kings of France claimed for several centuries to be descended from Christ through Mary Magdalene as a result.

Something known throughout the entire country of France can hardly be said to have been ‘suppressed’ now can it? And if this gnostic gospel, one of the most controversial, wasn’t suppressed, then why suppress any others?

There was 3 letters that they did not release straight away, wasn’t there? I was under the impression that they withheld them untill they decided to show them publicly. Maybe am mistaken.

They were prophecies relating to future events IIRC. It certainly wasn’t appropriate to release them until those events (the assassination attempt on JP2 being one) had happened, since the prediction of a Pope being wounded would probably cause some panic.

And I believe it was out of his natural modesty and wish not to draw attention to himself as the object of that prophecy that they were withheld for a time afterwards.

I added to my other post, by the way, have a read.

One must also remember that the Fatima letters relate to private revelations. I believe in Fatima, but as a Catholic I am not obligated to believe in Fatima.

The letters have not the force of a dogma. All ‘public revelation’ ceased with the death of St. John the Evangelist. . .and while a private revelation may be deemed worthy of belief, or not contradicting dogmatic truth, it does not have the same ‘weight’.

You might be referring to the “secrets” of Fatima. They remained secret at the request of Mary who asked the children of Fatima not to reveal the secrets until a specified time period.

Regarding other supposed Biblical narratives being out there? I’m not aware of any credible sources that makes such a claim.

Every closet has skeletons.
Kathy

Exactly. Letters relating to Fatima aren’t anyone’s business but Sr Lucia’s and the people she wrote to. You’re not obliged to publish your private letters, neither were they or the Church.

Although I certainly doubt that the catholic church has secret vaults hiding information they don’t want the world to see, I’m rather dubious about your statement here:

They were prophecies relating to future events IIRC. It certainly wasn’t appropriate to release them until those events (the assassination attempt on JP2 being one) had happened, since the prediction of a Pope being wounded would probably cause some panic.

For the most part, the entire point of any prophecy is to act as a sign that God is speaking/acting in the world. If you wait until after the prophecy has been fulfilled to reveal it, it rather defeats the point, doesn’t it? Especially since then people might question whether or not the prophecy was written before or after the events in question. I can honestly think of know reason why God would reveal a prophecy and then want it to be hidden - it would completely defeat the purpose. Does that fact worry you at all Lily?

Fortunately Dan Brown broke in and revealed them all…

Not before writing them all in the first place. :stuck_out_tongue: Hey e-bob!

Not a bit. God hid his OT prophecies pointing to Jesus as the Messiah so well that the vast majority of the Jewish people, all very familiar with their scriptures, didn’t recognise Him as such when He came, only those with eyes to see.

Even after His resurrection, remember, Jesus had to go back and explain to those on the road to Emmaus exactly how Scripture prophesied the events of His life, death and resurrection because they STILL didn’t see it :wink:

The date of Sr Lucia’s letters is well able to be authenticated, and they were indeed written before the events they prophesied.

As I said, they were PRIVATE letters. If their contents were meant as a general warning to the world then Sr Lucia would not have contented herself with only writing private letters, but would’ve written to the newspapers as well, for the whole world to read.

LilyM:

Great, we must be living a “scripted” life. :slight_smile: Who could possibly be condemned when your life may have an ending that you can’t see yourself?

Everyone’s life has an ending they can’t foresee. Except Christ’s, which he did foresee and was in agonies over. In any event we all have plenty of choice as to how we live, and we should all live so as to prepare us to die worthily in any circumstances.

This was a reference to a single event, not a whole life-script. No-one knew WHICH Pope it was referring to or whether it referred to a real literal physical injury or something else, until after it happened.

Just like, as I’ve pointed out earlier, no-one fully understood the prophecies of Christ’s birth, death and resurrection until AFTER these events had taken place.

[/size]Why do you wonder at this? It’s a scriptural principal.

Daniel 8:26 And the vision of the evening and the morning, which was told, is true: thou therefore seal up the vision, because it shall come to pass after many days.

Daniel 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time appointed: many shall pass over, and knowledge shall be manifold.[/FONT]

Everyone’s life has an ending they can’t foresee. Except Christ’s, which he did foresee and was in agonies over.

So, you aren’t denying that one’s individual life may be scripted?

P.S. You can’t say that we have choices if we already have an ending that we can’t forsee. :slight_smile:

That depends on whether or not God “saw” it, or “wrote” it. If God “wrote” your Choices before hand, then i would be forced to agree with you that life is scripted.

Ps.
1.I have a future

2.I can’t see it.

3.there is an end in that future, whether i see it or not.

Conclusion: You can say that we have choices even if we already have an ending that we cannot foresee.:wink:

[FONT=Times New Roman][size=3]That depends on whether or not God “saw” it, or “wrote” it.

Please extrapolate. :)[/size][/FONT]

An example - I see someone teetering on the edge of a window ledge across the road. I can see that they’re going to fall before they DO fall. Doesn’t mean I’m making them fall or that I actively wish or will them to fall.

I can try to prevent it by shouting at them, maybe they’ll hear me, likely they won’t, or aren’t strong enough to keep themselves from falling anyway.

God created us with free will, and allows us to make our own choices, good and bad. He knows all the events of our lives, good and bad, but he doesn’t actively make them all happen, or actively wish or will them all to happen.

So in that sense it’s not scripted.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.