Are there subtle forms of Satanic worship?

When I was in grade school I remember a Catholic nun telling the class that football was a form of Satanic worship and was thus a sin. I tend to agree, but I also contend that even video games can be a form of Satanic worship.

Like there can be subtle forms of child abuse, I believe there can be subtle forms of Satanic worship!

When Christ was quick to point out that we live in and evil generation, it was things like this that I think he was talking about!

I wouldn’t personally believe things of like football are intrinsically evil and satanic but like all other things they can be done with anger and malice or can be twisted to influence others to evil. So, a game of fellowship where you throw around a ball isn’t always evil, but it can be turned into sin when the players are spiteful. The only true form of satanic worship is satanic worship and sinning

The issue isn’t the game itself but the place it takes in your life. If you skip Mass or ignore family because there’s a game on, this can be idolatry. Enjoying a game after your other obligations are taken care of is not a problem.

Maybe if I word it differently: In which direction does watching football lean, in the direction of holiness or that of devil worship? Ditto for video games.

As neutral activities, they are neither “in the direction of holiness or that of devil worship.” (except perhaps certain video games that deal with objectively grave issues)

It really depends upon the one who is watching/playing. Many people can put on a game, follow it intently for 10 minutes and turn it off to get on with other obligations. Many others lack the strength or will to peel themselves away once it has started.

Football, whether watching or playing is a worthy past time in that recreation and relaxation are important for body and soul. Playing football is a means of physical fitness which is also worthy. There is nothing in the watching or playing of football that leans in the direction of devil worship.

Now, if a person was gambling (illegally) on football or letting football take over their Sundays, that might be sinful but not the sin of devil worship.

Why don’t hermits and monks watch football? Their life clearly leans in the direction of holiness.

How exactly would football or gaming be satanic? I play video-games all the time - much of them include killing fake, cartoonish aliens and robots, and even virtual human beings. Even then I do not feel like worshiping the devil. In fact, I often cross myself and say thanks to God when I get a good score, or just randomly when I think of it . How would this translate into satanic worship?

If they don’t watch football, it’s because they don’t watch TV not because football is anti-holiness. Monks and nuns (I don’t know about hermits) participate in team sports amongst themselves. Babe Ruth learned to play baseball from a monk. Why not football?

I’ve seen monks in their robes playing basketball on EWTN before.

I am sure there could be but football is not one of them. The sister was either using hyperbole, or just plain wrong. She was certainly not enunciating any Catholic teaching. Could someone abuse football to the point even of sin? of course, especially if they used it as an excuse to avoid duties of religion or duties of their state in life. That does not make it satanic.

I disagree. I think there are subtle forms of sin, yes…but satanic worship is a SERIOUS sin, and I don’t think you can do that subtly.

For example, there are subtle forms of child abuse, but not really subtle forms of murder in the first degree. You know what I mean?

What about listening to certain forms of rock music? I have often heard preachers say that rock is Satanic.

Some heavy metal bands allude to satan, or say he is cool and the like, but I don’t think listening to heavy metal music amounts a subtle worship of satan any more than an atheist listening to christian rock would be a subtle worshiping of the Lord. The same would be true if you walked by a guy on a soapbox talking about how great satan is. Hearing him, or even listening to him, would not be a form of worship. Nor would it be a sin.

In the same way, watching a violent scene movie would not be a subtle form of murder, you know? In my mind, when it comes to these serious offenses against God, you are either doing it or you aren’t! I don’t think serious sins have much of a “gray area.”

Robert,

Can you find any Mageisterial Teaching that supports that football is a form of Satanic worship and thus a sin? Oh and please find me some sources about video games being a form of Satanic worship as well.

I am really curious as to where you are drawing these conclusions from.

God bless.

It certainly is not Satanic worship.

Now particpating in a Black Mass that’s for sure Satanic worship, no mistaking that. Big difference between that and watching football and playing video games.

God bless.

Your concentrating on specifics and losing form. You either live in the realm of LOVE or Fear, Its really this simple.

Athletics is capible of leading one to a higher form of love though self understanding, thus it has its value. The value which is also capible of leading one to some type of motivated fear is where the evil resides. Its only a vehicle for one to use correctly or incorrectly.

Music can induce Love or Fear, see where I’m coming from?

Peace

I’m basically coming up with these questions out of curiosity of what people think. And, yes, I do personally think that there are subtle forms of Satanic worship. I do tend to differ on a lot of issues here on CAF, but I think a lot of my questions act as food for thoughts. People who disagree on these things often have little or no proof of their position either.

I don’t mean to pounce on you or attack you, but why do you tend to agree that football is a form of Satanic worship.

but I also contend that even video games can be a form of Satanic worship.

Like there can be subtle forms of child abuse, I believe there can be subtle forms of Satanic worship!

When Christ was quick to point out that we live in and evil generation, it was things like this that I think he was talking about!

I don’t know if it’s Satanic worship, but violent/sexualized video games and music certainly don’t help one in the path of holiness at least and are sinful at most. Child abuse is grave matter.

Certainly we can zero in on ideas which produce evil as mentioned. However what does that have to do with Football or Music?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.