Are these infallible Statements?

It hurts to read that Pope Benedict committed a mortal sin. That only Catholics go to Heaven and just recently my priest says this is not true, in fact he made a joke about it. Just more confusion about dogma. What is truth and what is not.

If us Catholics do not know what it is we are supposed to believe then are we all in danger of hell fire. When one Pope says this and another Pope says that who are we supposed to believe?

Lord have mercy.

Faithful Catholics usually know what is taught. If you are confused in understanding some of the teaching of the Popes, why not learn from the Catechism of the Catholic Church?

Popes don’t contradict each other on doctrine, but some issues are more difficult to understand than others because of the fallen nature of people who live in different countries with different histories, laws and beliefs.

I have the Catechism but there are many things that are presented here that are not answered in it. When I have spoken with “faithful Catholics” they give conflicting answers.
Kinda like the threads. :slight_smile:

KrazyKat #21
It hurts to read that Pope Benedict committed a mortal sin. That only Catholics go to Heaven and just recently my priest says this is not true, in fact he made a joke about it. Just more confusion about dogma. What is truth and what is not.

Don’t swallow everything you read – that is a gigantic error. Since your priest is right why wallow in the confusion of those who don’t know?

I have the Catechism but there are many things that are presented here that are not answered in it. When I have spoken with “faithful Catholics” they give conflicting answers.

With what evidence? Such as?

I’m a faithful Catholic and I hear conflicting explanations too, yet I’m not confused. :o

Well good for you. :thumbsup:

We beat the dead horse once again.

Those who put faith before historic records prefer to embrace immutable doctrine.

Those who prefer historic fact over faith understand mutability.

There is no reconcilable middle ground.

What things?

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI did not commit a mortal sin.

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10567732&postcount=17

He did not break a Church law. The legislator is not bound by the law. A pope can change a law any time. He can dispense with a law for any reason.

vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html

1. This Sacred Council wishes to turn its attention firstly to the Catholic faithful. Basing itself upon Sacred Scripture and Tradition, it teaches that the Church, now sojourning on earth as an exile, is necessary for salvation. Christ, present to us in His Body, which is the Church, is the one Mediator and the unique way of salvation. In explicit terms He Himself affirmed the necessity of faith and baptism(124) and thereby affirmed also the necessity of the Church, for through baptism as through a door men enter the Church. Whosoever, therefore, knowing that the Catholic Church was made necessary by Christ, would refuse to enter or to remain in it, could not be saved.

They are fully incorporated in the society of the Church who, possessing the Spirit of Christ accept her entire system and all the means of salvation given to her, and are united with her as part of her visible bodily structure and through her with Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. The bonds which bind men to the Church in a visible way are profession of faith, the sacraments, and ecclesiastical government and communion.

What Pope Eugenius IV said is still taught by the Church. The difference being that in Pope Eugenius’ time, it was thought that the whole world had been completely evangelized (at least that is the way that I have understood it).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.