Are these proofs that God puts people in hell?

Luke 12:5 (GNT)
I will show you whom to fear: fear God, who, after killing, has the authority to throw into hell. Believe me, he is the one you must fear!

It’s widespread that God do not put people in hell. Some translations says “God” as “him”, who is “him” then? What I know is that God puts people in hell, those that are unbelievers, unrepentant, those who don’t follow God.

Also this.

2 Thessalonians 1:5-9
All this is evidence that God’s judgment is right, and as a result you will be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are suffering. God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might

That would be the most reasonable assessment…

Yes, God condemns his people to Hell if they don’t meet his precepts. What is the problem?

Although I think The Good Lord would say that “they put themselves into Hell.”

The two don’t conflict with each other.

It proves that HE has the authority and the justice to do so, yes.

What is Jesus telling us in Luke’s passage? What is the point of having fear of loosing our life here on earth, a very short period of time when we compare it to the eons of eternity in we could spend in God’s company if we feared him.

Now you might have some issue with the concept of “God killing someone” however you are failing to recognize the fact that your life and mine and everybody else’s belongs to GOD. HE has the authority to stop your life at any time since it belongs to HIM anyway.
We on the other hand do not have such authority. We can only take a life (human) legitimately in rare circumstances.

that is the very definition of a contradiction.

JerryZ, so all of us people living here on earth should choose to worship our creator out of fear of him throwing us into hell, isnt that akin to ‘worship me or else be punished eternally for not doing so’?

What?

It would if the prior actions were equal.
Bu the Commandments bring about freedom, not bondage.
When we do God’s will (good) we are happier and like just lives, meriting the reward of eternal life.
When we choose to disregard His precepts, (bad) we may think we’ve got it made, but in reality we harm ourselves and other daily.

God gives us the choice for a reason…and for a purpose.
God desires no shotgun wedding.
He wants us to choose love.
He’s not sitting around waiting to zap people.

The fear of the Lord is a good starting point for any one, is it logical to rebel against GOD?

Is like a watch wanting to rebel against the watchmaker and giving the wrong time. An analogy of course, surely a poor one, as we are far less than a watch when compared to GOD.
Love would be the next step, for if we love, then, we do not need to fear any more.
Love is hard, is it not?
Then this is why Jesus came, to show us that we do not need to fear HIM if we love HIM.

That does not mean we can reject HIM and expect no consequences.

Your creator has graciously told you the consequences. He wants you to worship out of love. To be part of his family. If you love him, you will obey his commandments. No different from you loving your parents or spouse and not wanting to hurt them by disobeying their wishes.

You are free to reject his offer. If you are forced to worship him, then there is no freewill. Just because there are consequences for every action or inaction that one takes, I don’t see secular laws prohibiting certain actions being denounced as “forcing” you just because stealing, first degree murder, child abuse comes with punishment. But in the case of God, it does for you. And that is a contradiction for you to ponder.

If you come from the approach since God created Hell, he is guilty of putting people there. But I don’t think that is what you meant.

But neither is God guilty of putting people in hell. The ocean is there. You can jump into it freely. But don’t blame the creator. He didn’t want you to go there. But if you want to, it is your choice. The Pit is just a well organized way of separating good stuff from rotten stuff. The same you do with compartmentalizing good ingredients from bad ones. You don’t want to mix them together lest it contaminate the whole bunch. Typically the bad ingredients goes into the trash bin. That is what hell is. The trash bin. Those in there willingly walked right in.

It’s not like I’m gonna search for hell and jump there when I die, so it’s not really unbeliever or unrepentant’s fault. Someone’s putting people there. Some people state that it the unbeliever’s fault since hell is not a place but a state of being that is eternal separation to God. One them says that it’s not sure if it’s an official doctrine.

You may not intentionally search for it, but you may let temptation get the better of you. Eventually those people that say they want to head North but all their actions and heart and mind is towards South, will arrive South despite what they say. People who arrived in Hell never expressed surprise at being there. When confronted with all the evidences. You knew God has a hidden recorder somewhere that records your whole life includes all your thoughts didn’t you? Most criminals are dismayed at being caught with sufficient evidences. Some are hoping to have gotten away scot free, but when the Law catches up with them, they are not surprised that the Law is after them. Occasionally you have one that is truly surprised because of mistaken identity. But God doesn’t make mistakes.
When you do an evil act, you know it is evil and yet you still do it. You know doing evil acts lead one to hell, yet one still does it. There is no possible excuse for one to be in hell accidentally.

Whether Hell is a place or state of existence, that is really not important. Or how high the temperatures are there. It exists, it is unpleasant and it last forever.

zscdfasdf

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.