Are these quotes true?

Ignatius of Antioch (ca 50-117 AD) - Taught that those who partake of the Passover are partakers with those who killed Jesus.

Justin Martyr (100-165 AD) - Claimed God’s covenant with Israel was no longer valid and that the Gentiles had replaced the Jews.

Irenaeus (ca 130-202 AD) - Declared the Jews were disinherited from the grace of God.

Tertullian (ca 155-230 AD) - Blamed the Jews for the death of Jesus and argued they had been rejected by God.

Origen (185-254 AD) - He was responsible for much anti-Semitism, all of which was based on his assertion that the Jews were responsible for killing Jesus.

The Council of Elvira (305 AD in Spain) - Prohibited Christians from sharing a meal with a Jew, marrying a Jew, blessing a Jew or observing the Sabbath.

The Council of Nicea (325 AD in Turkey) - Changed the celebration of the Resurrection from the Jewish Feast of First Fruits to Easter in an attempt to disassociate it from Jewish feasts. The Council stated: “For it is unbecoming beyond measure that on this holiest of festivals we should follow the customs of the Jews. Henceforth let us have nothing in common with this odious people …”

Eusebius (ca 275-339 AD) - Taught that the promises of Scripture were meant for the Gentiles and the curses were meant for the Jews. Asserted that the Church was the “true Israel.”

John Chrysostom (349-407 AD) - Preached a series of sermons against the Jews in which he stated, “The synagogue is not only a brothel and a theater, it is also a den of robbers and lodging place for wild beasts … Jews are inveterate murderers possessed by the Devil. Their debauchery and drunkenness gives the manners of a pig.” He denied that Jews could ever receive forgiveness. He claimed it was a Christian duty to hate Jews. He claimed that Jews worshiped Satan. And this man was canonized a saint!

Jerome (ca 347-420 AD) - Described the Jews as “… serpents wearing the image of Judas. Their psalms and prayers are the braying of donkeys … They are incapable of understanding Scripture …”

St. Augustine (354-430 AD) - Asserted that the Jews deserved death but were destined to wander the earth to witness the victory of the Church over the synagogue.”

does anyone know the context? sounds pretty anti-Semitic to me

Most of them are not quotes. The rest are allegedly excerpts from actual quotes.

Paraphrases and things taken out of context aren’t worth responding to.

If you’re in some sort of debate, take just one of them and run it down, barbecue it, hand it back, and say “and the rest are just as worthless”.

A safe default is to believe that nothing - nothing - on the web is true until you research it yourself back to the source.

Although I can’t speak to the veracity of any of these quotes some of the sentiments are accurate. Intermarriage certainly was not allowed and it is true that the Church is now the Israel of God.

Well this is silly on it’s face. The Feast is called the Passover and has been since at least the mid second century. That quote is simply saying we should not follow the Jewish method of calculating Passover.

These aren’t actual quotes.

Well the quote from Nicea is accurate if out of context.

I have recommended that you stay off anti-Catholic websites. I am not sure why you refuse to take advice.

Your faith is not well formed. Therefore, you are easily confused and misdirected.

Again, read Catholic books and stay away from this drivel.

Then I suggest Warren Carroll’s The History Of Christendom series if you really want to learn about the Church and history.

I don’t think there is anything among the authentic letters of Ignatius of Antioch but among the spurious letters attributed to Ignatius of Antioch there is one that says something to this effect:
If any one celebrates the passover along with the Jews, or receives the emblems of their feast, he is a partaker with those that killed the Lord and His apostles. (Epistle to the Philippians, chapter 14)

I see that all these excerpts are on a “Catholic Christian Mission” website called “Catechism 102” and the topic is “The Origin of Replacement Theology”. They are also on Christian-forum.net, among others.

Not sure if Angel is taking it from these places, but they don’t look “anti-Catholic”.

Perhaps Angel “refuses” to take your advice because he/she does not think your advice is wise, and he/she is curious and seeks more information–that is a good thing.
Asking simple questions does not mean he/she is “confused” or “misdirected”.

I will try to check the accuracy of some of these for you, Angel.

1Ke’s advice was good advice. Anyone who does not have a firm faith should not be looking at materials that cause them to doubt. We are called to strengthen our faith, not weaken it.

Yeah I didn’t even pay attention first time I looked at this thread. Most of what the OP posted aren’t even quotes. The are just assertions about what various people supposedly said. Most of it isn’t even particularly anti-semitic. And as I pointed out at least with the quote from Nicea it’s just completely wrong. When someone misrepresents something that badly I tend not to trust much coming from them.

As mentioned, thes aren’t quotes. When you come across things like this, ask the perosn who posted them to supply the actual quotes, in their context, so you can see what was actually written back then. For about $40, you can get most of the source material in your owns hands…or even just get the first volume for about $13.
amazon.com/Faith-Early-Fathers-Three-Volume-Set/dp/0814610250

You can even get ALL the source material at your fingertips for free, but you’ll already need to have a basic idea of where to look…or be ready for hours of research:
newadvent.org/fathers/

Once in awhile, you’ll run across someone who has read enough of the early fathers and councils to know where those claims are coming from. But when you boil it all down, it is the responsibility of the person making those above claims to present you with the original source material so you can read it for yourself and determine if those fathers/councils are being misrepresented. If the person can’t pony up the source material, they are 1) making ignorant claims that may unintentionally misrepresent the Church, or 2) are purposefully trying to misrepresent the Church.

And just as a note, there were probably some anti-Semitic folks and ideologies in the Church at any given time…and probably still are. But what would that prove other than there are sinners in the Church? The Church has never claimed that the men within it are sinless or free from personal error. At any rate, I"ve read a good deal of the ECF’s and I believe most of those people in the OP are being grossly misrepresented.

I heatedly second this recommendation. These are among the few books that I own which have not been supplanted by the internet, nor is this ever likely to happen. Most of my library gathers dust these days, but Jurgens is always at hand.

I have not been able to find anything to authenticate these claims. I’ll be happy to pursue further research but there is not sufficient information as given. Please give the document from which each citation is supposed to be derived and the council canon # which contains each citation from a council.

I may have found what this one is referring to. According to this site Justin Martyr was teaching “replacement theology” based on what he wrote in chapter 123 of his Dialogue With Trypho. That chapter can be found here.

Please note I am not arguing for or against any position here. I have no dog in this fight. I am merely trying to lend a hand in finding actual quotes so that you all can discuss the matter further.

Irenaeus (ca 130-202 AD) - Declared the Jews were disinherited from the grace of God.

I may have found the reference quote for this one.

The end of the first paragraph of Against Heresies (Book III, Chapter 21) says:

But it was interpreted into Greek by the Jews themselves, much before the period of our Lord’s advent, that there might remain no suspicion that perchance the Jews, complying with our humour, did put this interpretation upon these words. They indeed, had they been cognizant of our future existence, and that we should use these proofs from the Scriptures, would themselves never have hesitated to burn their own Scriptures, which do declare that all other nations partake of [eternal] life, and show that they who boast themselves as being the house of Jacob and the people of Israel, are disinherited from the grace of God.

This can all be found here

Please note I am not arguing for or against any position here. I have no dog in this fight. I am merely trying to lend a hand in finding actual quotes so that you all can discuss the matter further.

The Council of Elvira (305 AD in Spain) - Prohibited Christians from sharing a meal with a Jew, marrying a Jew, blessing a Jew or observing the Sabbath.

I may have found the reference for this one.

Here is a link to the list of canons from the Council of Elvira.

They include:

1. Heretics shall not be joined in marriage with Catholic girls unless they accept the Catholic faith.  Catholic girls may not marry Jews or heretics, because they cannot find a unity when the faithful and the unfaithful are joined.  Parents who allow this to happen shall not commune for five years.

1. Landlords are not to allow Jews to bless the crops they have received from God and for which they have offered thanks.  Such an action would make our blessing invalid and meaningless.  Anyone who continues this practice is to be expelled completely from the church.

1. If any cleric or layperson eats with Jews, he or she shall be kept from communion as a way of correction.

1. If a Christian confesses adultery with a Jewish or pagan woman, he is denied communion for some time.  If his sin is exposed by someone else, he must complete five years' penance before receiving the Sunday communion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.