Are these sins or not?

sorry guys, still confused.

working on sundays? mortal sin?

shopping on sundays? mortal sin?

what about leisure activities that require others to work? if you want to do something out of the house with your family, most things require payment or people to work.

before Vatican II, I think the answer was yes, now, not so sure.

and if it has changed, can it? why would it not be a sin now if it isn’t?

I know it might have something to do with a change in definition of servile work but how does that change? going in to a store is the same now as any other time, isn’t it?

does my question make sense?

You have the right to work on a Sunday if your work roster or demands require it. Otherwise it should remain a day of rest. Shopping is a leisure activity so no problem on a Sunday.

Here is what the apologists have said:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=887850

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=357684

Shopping is a leisure activity so no problem on a Sunday.

I’d be careful about this. I wouldn’t go shopping on Sunday or a Holy Day of Obligation unless I really needed to. Even then, I don’t have certainty about the sinfulness of the act, if there is any.

Part of the reason why people keep stores open on Sunday is for business, but if we show them that the market demand is slower, they may reconsider being open then or at least cut back on their hours.

It’s my understanding and I’ve read “that some people who sell wares” and the like can still be open and people can still shop in those locales on Sundays because it’s vital to business.

But I would really make an effort to stay away from Walmart and other places open late or 24-7 if at all possible.

As to when and if it all becomes a sin in situations specific to yourself, consult your spiritual director.

No, working on Sunday is not a mortal sin. Many people have to work on Sunday. Some are in essential occupations like doctor, nurse, ambulance driver, etc.
Shopping on Sunday is not a mortal sin either. For many people, it’s the only day they can have free to shop. Yes, if you are shopping someone else has work but they are going to be working regardless of whether you shop at a particular place or not.
Things haven’t changed so much since Vatican 2 in this regard. The only thing that’s changed is that businesses decided to be open on Sundays. Part of this has to do with so called “Sunday blue laws” being taken off the books. In other words, it used to be civilly against the law to be open on Sundays in some places.

didn’t the church teach that they were sins in the past though?

There is the Third Commandment, and there is the Church’s Canon Law that it uses to live out that Commandment. In effect, it gives a “safe harbor” that people can know they’re not breaking that commandment. The Commandment cannot change. The church law can, however, change, as the Church could have made it even more strict or it could have relaxed the law to the full extent of the Commandment. This is part of the Church’s authority to bind and loose.

The Church Law has changed; since 1983, it now allows more activities once deemed servile labor, and it allows other activities like shopping or football when carried out as part of rest or the “joy” proper to the day (necessity always allowed for these activities as well).

Can you cite the document in Vatican II that changed any of this?

well it doen’st mention shopping specifically in the catechism.

it used to emntion it specifically in canon law though.

so either, it’s changed. or it hasn’t and it’s just no t written anywhere and no one ever mentions it and we have to figure it out or we’re just all sinning

I guess that makes sense.

this is a commandment that Jesus didn’t repeat after all since it originally had to do with the Sabbath day. so I guess the church has more leeway to it’s adoption and application

or maybe the church is leaving it up more to our consciences. I mean, it does not exactly mentioning specific activities that we should stay away from, just general guidelines.

I guess I just get confused sometimes between divine commandments that can’t change and church law.

Cite. Your. Sources.

And you specifically mentioned VII Please show where any of this was addressed in VII.

Do you think VII changed this teaching of the faith?

I can’t find it now, it was on another thread I read. I think it’s in the 1917 code of canon law somewhere

the new canon law does not mention specific activities if I’m not mistaken

IF you find it let me know.

What does this have to do with VII?

Shops never used to be open on Sundays.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.