Are these things sins?

I have scrupulosity so be patient with me.

1. If my dentist tells me i need to brush my teeth at night especially but i am to lazy to. Ofcourse my grandparents would want me tp do it/have told me to in the past. Is that a mortal sin?

2. I have developed my own exercise routine but get lazy and dont do it. Is that a mortal sin?

3. Also i get lazy and dont scrub my face (same situation as number 1 except a doc didnt tell me to)

4. I decide not to do my homework and get a bad grade thru my own fault. Out of laziness....

5. Als we are not allowed to use phones and at school and i do. Is that a sin?

Is any of that a sin?! I am super scrupulous. These are 100percent serious and you will know that if you look back on my previous scrupulous questions. But i keep confessing things like this. And are they even sins? Also at the time of doin lg these i mostly though (most of the time) i was comitting a mortal sin and went wothit. But now i am seriously doubting if they are a grave manner. So dp i still need to confess them?? Thanks! Pray for my scruples.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:1, topic:326030"]

[/quote]

Then you know you should be talking to your confessor about this.

(I wouldn't see *any *of these as grave matter.)

[/quote]

It is important for you to have a "regular confessor" who can direct you. Such is the age old practice with such. He would then know you your difficulties and direct you as to what is not mortal sin, what is not sin and what is sin, what is mortal and what is venial.

I do have a regular confessor....

I just want to know if these things are a grave matter or not.

[/quote]

None of these are grave matters in themselves but may stem from a grave manner. Despair maybe? You would have to find someone more insightful than me.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:5, topic:326030"]
I just want to know if these things are a grave matter or not.

[/quote]

Not grave matter.

CCC1858

Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother."132 The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:4, topic:326030"]
I do have a regular confessor....

[/quote]

The reason people are suggesting that you have a regular confessor is because a regular confessor can help you.

You need to explain to the priest that you do not understand the difference between mortal and venal sin. Make an appointment. Explain what you have asked here.

Your priest can help you.

Ok but i always fear i am getting on his nerves... :( and he is the only priest i can go to cuz there arent any more... and when i feel like im getting on his nerves i feel like i got to make super fast confessions. But im so sxrupsulous and feel like i need to explain my sins. And apparently the majority of the things j confess aren't even a grave matter. This is crazy!?!

This scrupulosity thing is killing me! My confessions are too long even though i go once a week!! :( this is driving me crazy. I just wanna be like a regular Catholic.

OP,

As another recent convert who is prone to scrupulosity I have relied a lot on examination of consciences which also spell out grave vs venial matters.

catholicparents.org/oxcart/examination.html

Use the first one in the list.

There are plenty of other examination of consciences available but some don't specify grave/venial or are too vague so see what works for you.

As for confessing venial sins, I do so often but I try not to go more than once every two weeks

hope this helps!

Two suggestions:

1 - make an appointment outside of regular confession time to talk with your priest about your difficulty in knowing venial sins from mortal sins. Not confession unless your priest suggests ending the meeting with that. There should be a time limit - 30 minutes is good - so you don’t go on & on.

2 - have your parents or guardian make an appointment for you to see a counselor. If they can’t or won’t, talk to your doctor or a school counselor.

Wishing you the best & praying. :signofcross:

1. If my dentist tells me i need to brush my teeth at night especially but i am to lazy to. Ofcourse my grandparents would want me tp do it/have told me to in the past. Is that a mortal sin?

2. I have developed my own exercise routine but get lazy and dont do it. Is that a mortal sin?

3. Also i get lazy and dont scrub my face (same situation as number 1 except a doc didnt tell me to)

4. I decide not to do my homework and get a bad grade thru my own fault. Out of laziness....

5. Als we are not allowed to use phones and at school and i do. Is that a sin?

Is any of that a sin?! I am super scrupulous. These are 100percent serious and you will know that if you look back on my previous scrupulous questions. But i keep confessing things like this. And are they even sins? Also at the time of doin lg these i mostly though (most of the time) i was comitting a mortal sin and went wothit. But now i am seriously doubting if they are a grave manner. So dp i still need to confess them?? Thanks! Pray for my scruples.

[/quote]

Stop giving yourself unnecessary "guilt trips". You are not committing any sins that is worth mentioning. What you need to do is stop looking at yourself and look somewhere else. Treat yourself to be better by acknowledging what good you do. Jesus would say you are acting too much against yourself. What you need to do is step back a bit and see how God sees you. Look it at this way. How can God see what you are doing as terribly wrong when there are people out there doing so many shameful acts that really needs to be addressed. I would even see God as amused to what you say about yourself. The most scrupulous person that became a saint was St. Therese of Liseaux. Read her story and it may help you overcome what you do to yourself. What you do is bring on judgment that is not there. Try to see God not as a Judge but more of a loving parent. Try to see all of your little "shortcomings" as something He delights in. He would want you to see Him as in this better light. We are all growing with all of our little mistakes on the way. As long as you make little mistakes you are not making any big ones.

OP,

I posted a link to an examination of conscience and took it down at another's suggestion- if you accessed it I recommend you forget it about and ask your regular confession to suggest an examination to use. Some examinations of conscience could easily make scrupulosity worse.

As for frequency of confessing venial sins, I confess mine but I wait at least two weeks between. I fill in the gaps with prayer and mass:thumbsup:

Thank u guys! ♥ i think im gonna ask him to talk to me outside of Confession. Im a newbie Catholic here. Just baptized Easter Vigil. So this isnt easy for me. I just wanna confess tomorrow. And adresss this issue. Alsi, is scrupulosity a cross from God?

On the subject of scrupulosity.

Some important aspects in working to overcome scruples

A** regular confessor *(best if they have some background in such..but do not wait for the "perfect one") whom one can trust (indeed entrust yourself to for the time being!). He can give not only direction in general etc but note certain general principles* for one to follow under his direction or confirm them for you that you can follow. A kind of voluntary Obedience ...is important here..it is the age old remedy

Of course one seeks a confessor who is faithful to the Church... if something is clearly wrong..like he tells you to murder his secretary.....well that will be clear ..and one should change confessors well one does not do that ;) (it is said classically the person with a difficulty with scrupulosity would follow the judgment of the regular confessor who has taken responsibility for them -- except in the case of manifest sin)

Perhaps some studies in (orthodox) Catholic Theology such as what is in the Catechism or Compendium (I say perhaps cause some need to not read etc for a while..but simply follow their confessor...depends on the scruples etc)

Prayer.

Frequenting the Sacraments (within reason...confession every day...is prob. not a good idea unless one really falls into mortal sin...)

A classic quote:* Contra scruplos agendum est, et fixo operis pede certandum*

(Act contrary to scruples and with a firm foot overcome them)

Such is referring to overcoming ones scruples with a "firm foot". Learning to act against them under the guidance of your confessor. Dismissing them. Not arguing with them.

The confessor can direct one.

(some also have OCD ....and thus need medical/counseling assistance as well)

In a way one needs to be in a sense "scrupulous" about attending to ones scruples...

Simplicity

Intercession of Our Lady and the Saints

Acts of Faith, Hope and Love

Thinking more on the love of God and true life in Christ....living in the reality of the joy (even when not something felt) of being a Christian....

...keeping in mind that Jesus is the Good Shepherd who loves you

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:15, topic:326030"]
Thank u guys! ♥ i think im gonna ask him to talk to me outside of Confession. Im a newbie Catholic here. Just baptized Easter Vigil. So this isnt easy for me. I just wanna confess tomorrow. And adresss this issue. Alsi, is scrupulosity a cross from God?

[/quote]

It can be said that it is the will of God that one work to overcome scruples and get ones compass in better working order....

It can also be said that such (while one goes though it) can be accepted as a cross (while still working to overcome it).

Having responded to a number of persons with various degrees of scruples over time -- I will note the following:

One must distinguish between a scrupulous conscience (though in a way it is more "a conscience affected by scruples") and a delicate conscience.

A 'delicate conscience' sees the finer distinctions and seeks very much to avoid even very small sins ...and ...who can judge normally between mortal and venial sin......etc

As for scruples...or scrupulosity

A person who struggles with such will often take venial sin to be mortal...or non-sins to be sins.....they might seek to confess all sorts of unneeded details...etc

Scruples can come in many and varied forms and degrees.

Of course there are degrees and it is possible for a person to have generally a delicate conscience or a normal conscience and still have a struggle with scruples in certain areas....

or even to have very transient scruples such at the time of their conversion* ...or deeper conversion etc

Also i have an embarrassing question that is bothering me. See this does not seem like a grave sin to me but is it a sin to: smell ur private body parts(and when u go to the bathroom)? Oh this is embarrassing and once i get an answer (if fast enough i'lll probly edit and erase this particular post). .

You know what, hon? You're human! Stop beating yourself up for human quirks. Quirks (shared by millions, if not billions of other people) are not sins.

Before you post anymore "is this a sin" questions, talk with a counselor.

[quote="Bonnie, post:19, topic:326030"]
You know what, hon? You're human! Stop beating yourself up for human quirks. Quirks (shared by millions, if not billions of other people) are not sins.

Before you post anymore "is this a sin" questions, talk with a counselor.

[/quote]

So what i poated above is not a sin? What if i did it on purpose!?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.