Are these verses in Bible about Salat?

As we know Salat was/is main worshiping in all Holy religion for God. So ı have search about Salat in Gospels. I think there should be much about Salat. Just ı saw that verse which ı think is about Salat:

1. O come, let us worship and bow down:

let us kneel before the LORD our maker.

The Psalms:95/6

Yes plus there are many… many… many more

Edit to add:

Please try to use the English word of worship instead “salat” which is the Arabic word.

Hello,

To my shame, I had to look up the word ‘Salat’ and see that it refers to the formal low bowing in prayer practiced by Muslim people. I can see what you mean and yes, I suppose it might refer to low bowing.

I’m not sure that it means that low bowing is the pose required in prayer, though. Catholics customarily kneel in prayer, although one may bow too, or sit. All of these poses are adopted during the celebration of the Mass. My own feeling is that prayer is a holy obligation that should be practiced with due respect. A nun who taught me in school told me that ‘the body reflects the soul’ and if we sat and knelt respectfully and attentively; our hearts and souls would follow in respect and attentiveness.

Have a lovely day and God bless you!

Jenny

Salah is a cognate with the Hebrew Selah, which is found untranslated in certain English translations of the Psalms, generally marking a pause in the reading (as the Psalms are meant to be recited, and still are in traditional churches, particularly in the East). So, in that way, you could say so.

It is the same in the churches outside of the Semitic world, too. In Coptic, the word is “ouwsht” (pronounced o-ousht), which is the word used in the responses during prostrations (full prostrations, with head to the ground; this was adopted by Islam from Eastern Christianity) during the proclamation before the Gifts (“We worship Your holy Body…and Your precious blood”), as well as at the end of the “Hiteni”/intercessory hymn before the “E-Aghapi”: “We worship you O Christ with Your Good Father and the Holy Spirit for You have come and saved us” (in Coptic: Ten-ouwsht emmok o p-Khristos nem Pekyot en-Aghathos nem Pnevnema Ethowab ji aki aksoti emmon). It can mean both “worship” and “prostrate” (in Arabic translations, you see “nasgood” in place of this word), so some English translations of this section of the liturgy say instead “we prostrate before You”, though that does not seem as common (since we do not prostrate during the intercessory hymn, and also it’s a lot of syllables to fit into the melody of the chant).

I would agree with that. We are supposed to stand and bow in prayer before God with humility and respect, more than one would do before a Majestic King. The heart does indeed follow the movements of the body, and the body is also affected by the soul. That is why we are taught physical prostration before God, so that humility in the soul is further induced. The condition of true humility is achieved when both body and soul are in humble submission before God Almighty.

Peace.

Can you prove what you assert?

The manner of prayer was taught to the Prophet Muhammad pbuh by the Angel Gabriel pbuh.

Peace.

In second temple Judaism there were 7 daily prayers which were usually kept by a ringing of a bell at different hours of the day. These prayers could be divided into major and minor hours. Basically around 3 major prayers to 5 major prayers, and 2-4 minor prayers. The system of prayers isn’t exactly recorded but was probably composed of of one or more psalms, and several readings per prayer complete with other prayers added. These also most likely incorporated some bows.

By the compilation of the Talmud there emerged several different styles for the Jews to pray these hours. Those Jews who were more oriented towards Greece or lived in Southern Europe developed a style of praying which was composed mainly of standing and bending the knee at times. Those Jews who lived in what is now considered the Middle East developed a custom of prostration per each “prayer cycle”. These cycles were units in which middle eastern Jews prayed.

Likewise, western Catholics do not prostrate during their daily prayers. Western Catholics have 5 daily prayers (which are optional except for priests and religious people, for whom it is obligatory). Some western orders retain a 7 or 9 time daily prayer schedule with the “little hours”. You can find the daily prayers at divineoffice.org. Western Catholic tradition (latin rite) is to bow at the head at certain times during these prayers. By the way the Divine Office is derived from Judaism, the apostles preserved this Jewish tradition which we still have today.

Eastern Catholics vary based on their rite. The Coptic Catholics prostrate during prayers, as do most Oriental Catholic rites. I believe Byzantine Rite Catholics only bow but im unsure.

I also wanted to add that the Muslim prayers bare a striking resemblance to the Yemenite Jewish tradition of prayer. That is dividing each prayer into units (“Raka’a”), although the Yemenite form of units has significant differences. Same goes for the posture of holding one hand over the other while praying. Most Yemenite Jews don’t pray this way anymore, however.

Salat is prostration, right? Orthodox Christians do that everyday in prayer. Islam copied the exact type of prostration from us. We also have formal prayers 8 times a day, Islam lowered it to only 5. Islam also copied headcovering for women from Orthodox Christianity, though most Orthodox Christian women only cover in Church or during former prayer now, if at all. The prayer rope was also taken from Christianity, but used for other purpose in Islam.

Everything in Islam that is attractive to me proceeded Islam by about 600yrs, all coming from Orthodox Christianity.

Salat (صلاة) is prayer. Prostration is sujud (سجود).

Its not unreasonable to suggest Muhammad saw the actions of Jews and Christians (who were bowing completely on the ground in prayer to God long before the Muslims first did it) and imitated them. This however is an educated guess.

im 99% certain he copied his form of prayer from watching Yemenite Jews in the city of Yathrib which hosted him. Below is a link to a jew praying in the yemenite fashion, note the extreme similarities:

youtube.com/watch?v=0aHWASyMjwg

Peace.

A major problem with your hypothesis is that the Muslim method of prayer has been practiced since the early days of Islam in Mecca, not after migrating to Medina/Yathrib 13 years later.

As for similarities, when God is the source of the teachings of all the prophets, there are bound to be similarities in worship. The Qur’an itself claims that it contains within it those teachings from the former Scriptures which were of a lasting value:

[98:2-3] A Messenger from Allah, reciting unto them the pure Scriptures. Therein are lasting commandments.

Infact, if Islam taught that the way to approach God was opposite the way the former prophets approached God, then it would be open to question. If God is the same, and human nature remains the same, then the way to form a relationship with God should not be fundamentally different, nor should the scriptural teachings be vastly different.

However, some people do not realise this point, and erroneously charge Islam with having copied the scriptures and practices of the former peoples. This charge is actually a proof of it’s truth, not of it’s falsehood. For instance, about the practice of fasting, the Qur’an categorically states that:

• [2:184] Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you may become righteous.*

Why would Islam teach similar ways of forming a relationship with God, if the purpose of Islam was not that very same thing?

Peace.

Probably for the same reasons Smith etc copied. It’s easier than creating and entirely unique god. And if you want your message to spread, easier to do it in someone’s coattails.

While I do not have the time to look up the individual references (have to go to liturgy in about 10 minutes), there is plenty of scholarly material on the debt owed by Islam to surrounding Christian – and yes, also Jewish – populations. See, for instance, the many footnotes in Griffith’s recent “The Bible in Arabic”, which spends about half the book going into the background of nascent Islam in contextualizing for the reader the birth of different (Jewish, Christian) translations of the Bible in Arabic. It is not only not unreasonable to assume that there is a debt to preexisting Jews and Christians, the available evidence points to a sort of “Islamification” of their practices and principles as being at the heart of the formation of a uniquely Islamic identity, including also their method of prayer.

The problem with your hypothesis is that even if we accept that the current form of Islamic prayer was adopted before Mohammad’s migration to Yathrib it doesn’t mean anything. Mohammad had an uncle in-law named Waraqa who was a Jew and was a mentor of Mohammad for quite some time. His wife Khadija was most likely a Jew as well.

Second, the Muslim prayer changed over time. Mohammad changed certain things over time. For instance the lines were made compact when we know that at the beginning they stood spread out. Also Mohammad later forbade talking during prayer or taking breaks between prayer units.

Third, you make the rational point that all Divinely Inspired acts of worship would be the same. The problem is that the Yemenite form of worship arose at a later time and evolved separately from the other Jews, read my posts above for more about that.

Fourth I am not against the movements Muslims make when they pray.Even Saint Francis of Assisi, who had serious qualms with Islam, said the one thing he liked about Islam was its reverent prayer. And as I already pointed out many Eastern Catholics perform prostrations during their 7-9 daily Liturgy of the Hours.

Waraqa was not his uncle, nor was he a Jew. He was an Arab polytheist who had become a Christian, but he died soon after the Prophet pbuh received his first revelation. Khadija r.a. was also an Arab.

Second, the Muslim prayer changed over time. Mohammad changed certain things over time. For instance the lines were made compact when we know that at the beginning they stood spread out. Also Mohammad later forbade talking during prayer or taking breaks between prayer units.

The details of the rules of prayer may have been issued from time to time, but the form of prayer remained as taught by Gabriel a.s. in the furst year of prophethood in Mecca.

Third, you make the rational point that all Divinely Inspired acts of worship would be the same.

I said they would be similar, not necessarily the same. Everything in religion was perfected by Islam, hence there are some differences with previous religions, whose teachings were not perfected.

Peace.

How has islam perfected the rule of prayer which exists in Christianity? Examples?

In many ways.

For instance, in Christianity, your prayer is for your daily bread, whereas in Islam, one’s daily prayer is for right guidance along the way of the favoured ones, such as the prophets, which is the way that leads to a union of love with God Almighty.

Peace.

I assume you are referring to the Lord’s prayer which Jesus himself commanded and I see nothing imperfect in it. Christian prayer life however is not defined by that prayer alone but a whole swath of subjects and topics, be it the praying for family, friends, fellow congregants civil authorities, people who travel by land and sea and air and in the general prosperity of the world and that would be just the liturgy. In orthodox prayer books, along with catholic prayer books one can find all sorts of prayers for all sorts of circumstances, but merely covering topics is not the heart of prayer. The heart of prayer is to pray without ceasing, that should be one of the Christian’s Goals, to never cease praying, rather never cease trying but to recall and praise God in any given circumstance.

I do not see how this needs to be perfected. Nor can I see how islam perfects it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.