Are these words from the current translation of the Mass?

Okay, so my parish is the only one I've ever ever ever been to where the priest says the following during Mass. I'm wondering if it's just a sort of less-popular option or if he's accidentally saying the old words (he's actually a retired priest, so it's feasible.)

I'm just curious, mostly because I couldn't find this option in an app I have, so I want to know if it's the app's mistake, mine (in reading wrong), or the priest's. Thanks!

The words in question:

"He came to take away sin, which keeps us from being friends, and to take away hate, which makes us all unhappy." (Sin and hate might be swapped.)

[quote="waanju, post:1, topic:321824"]
Okay, so my parish is the only one I've ever ever ever been to where the priest says the following during Mass. I'm wondering if it's just a sort of less-popular option or if he's accidentally saying the old words (he's actually a retired priest, so it's feasible.)

I'm just curious, mostly because I couldn't find this option in an app I have, so I want to know if it's the app's mistake, mine (in reading wrong), or the priest's. Thanks!

The words in question:

"He came to take away sin, which keeps us from being friends, and to take away hate, which makes us all unhappy." (Sin and hate might be swapped.)

[/quote]

I have the Magnificat Magazine which has the translation. About where in the Mass are those words?

[quote="waanju, post:1, topic:321824"]

The words in question:

[/quote]

Absolutely not! Most likely there are ad libbed words that this priest has used for years. The current translation does not use that type of expression, which is totally dumbed down.

Ask the priest to show you where it appears in the missal.

It’s from the children’s liturgy. I’m not sure if it’s allowed anymore. We haven’t used it in my parish for ages.

Surprisingly - and I was surprised! - it is from the Second Eucharistic Prayer for Masses with Children.

I don't know what to say...

It's actually a pretty funny (as in "haha") translation.

[quote="jonathan_hili, post:6, topic:321824"]
Surprisingly - and I was surprised! - it is from the Second Eucharistic Prayer for Masses with Children.

[/quote]

Yuck. If a priest said that during lent or advent I'd have to do a double take to make sure Barney (the Dinosaur) wasn't offering the mass. :)

So if this is EP2 from children's mass, isn't it only supposed to be used when the majority present are younger children (i.e. under 8 or 9)? I didn't think they are supposed to be used for general masses.

[quote="jonathan_hili, post:6, topic:321824"]

[/quote]

I just read the translation for the Second Eucharistic Prayer. I wonder what else the Priest is changing.:eek:

In any case the new translation supplants any of the old translations and those imaginative translations.

I didn't even know this existed. Very interesting. And yes, it can still be used with the new missal. Their use is restricted to Masses where the majority have not yet reached "preadolescence," with that term left undefined but it's definitely before teenage years.

Not only that but in Masses were the majority are children, the priest is given a surprisingly lot of leeway. Basically, outside the Gospel and approved Eucharistic Prayers for Children, everything else is adaptable or can be omitted altogether.

Thanks everyone!

It did strike me as a little... childish to the point of almost being silly, which is why I was wondering if it were an actual translation ever. This particular priest used to say a LOT of children's masses (most of the masses he said) so I guess he just forgets that the words have changed sometimes. :shrug:

I must admit, it is kind of yucky sounding- doesn't fit the tone of Mass very well.

The words used are: "He came to take away sin, which keeps us from being friends, and to take away hate, which makes us all unhappy."

This sounds like words in the Penitential Act. "You were sent to heal the contrite of heart: Lord, have mercy." The rubrics give a lot of flexibility with these words. The Roman Missal's Order of Mass, n. 6, has: "The Priest, or a Deacon or another minister, then says the following or other invocations* with Kyrie, eleison (Lord, have mercy): ...
* Sample invocations are found in Appendix VI, pp. 1528-1531."

They are addressed to Jesus. So something could be composed like, "Lord, you came to take away sin, which keeps us from being friends and to take away hate, which make us all unhappy. Lord, have mercy."

[quote="grannymh, post:8, topic:321824"]
I just read the translation for the Second Eucharistic Prayer. I wonder what else the Priest is changing.:eek:

In any case the new translation supplants any of the old translations and those imaginative translations.

[/quote]

Hi Granny, these are not changes from the Second Eucharistic Prayer but a specified Eucharistic Prayer to be used in Children's Masses, not the ordinary Sunday Mass.

[quote="waanju, post:11, topic:321824"]
Thanks everyone!

It did strike me as a little... childish to the point of almost being silly, which is why I was wondering if it were an actual translation ever. This particular priest used to say a LOT of children's masses (most of the masses he said) so I guess he just forgets that the words have changed sometimes. :shrug:

I must admit, it is kind of yucky sounding- doesn't fit the tone of Mass very well.

[/quote]

Childish is precisely right! I taught kindergarten for a year, and I think I could explain things in more sophisticated language to those four and five year old children than what is used in this translation. It does sound silly. I don't know how the priest can say it while keeping a straight face.

[quote="John_Lilburne, post:12, topic:321824"]

They are addressed to Jesus. So something could be composed like, "Lord, you came to take away sin, which keeps us from being friends and to take away hate, which make us all unhappy. Lord, have mercy."

[/quote]

What about:

"Lord, you came to take away sin, which keeps us from loving you as we should and to take away hate, which keeps us from being loved by one another. Lord, have mercy."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.