Are they Christian?

I have read many posts that ask if certain denoms. are really christian or not. To be christian you MUST believe in the TRIUNE GOD- The Holy Trinity. Anything, and I mean anything, short of worshipping the Holy Trinity makes those denoms. NOT CHRISTIAN no matter what they tell you. End of story.

The only groups around here that are not Christian in the most fundamental sense, belief in the Holy Trinity, are LDS and JWs. Though they are offshoots of Protestantism they are not technically protestant in the classical sense.

Jesus Only are likely christians because they do believe that Jesus is God, and do follow him.

No way. If you follow Jesus you MUST believe in the One that sent Him and you also must believe in the first gift Jesus sent, through the Father, The Holy Spirit.

Without the Holy Spirit and the Father, how could you have Jesus?

2Jo 1:7 For many seducers are gone out into the world who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a seducer and an antichrist. 8 Look to yourselves, that you lose not the things which you have wrought: but that you may receive a full reward. 9 Whosoever revolteth and continueth not in the doctrine of Christ hath not God. He that continueth in the doctrine, the same hath both the Father and the Son. 10 If any man come to you and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into the house nor say to him: God speed you.

Jesus Christ is God made flesh. The Messiah. That’s the doctrine of Christ. Anything else is non-Christian and to be regarded heresy.

The Church accepts as Christian brethren from the other denominations that accept this doctrine. From the Catechism:

"817 In fact, “in this one and only Church of God from its very beginnings there arose certain rifts, which the Apostle strongly censures as damnable. But in subsequent centuries much more serious dissensions appeared and large communities became separated from full communion with the Catholic Church - for which, often enough, men of both sides were to blame.”[269] The ruptures that wound the unity of Christ’s Body - here we must distinguish heresy, apostasy, and schism[270] - do not occur without human sin: Where there are sins, there are also divisions, schisms, heresies, and disputes. Where there is virtue, however, there also are harmony and unity, from which arise the one heart and one soul of all believers.[271]

818 “However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers … All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church.”[272]

819 “Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth”[273] are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: “the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements.”[274] Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,[275] and are in themselves calls to “Catholic unity.”[276]

With love,
George

Of course, not all Christians accept this definition.

Thats the most basic/fundamental doctrine, so anything SHORT of that fundamental doctrine is not Christian. In otherwords some protestant denominations might require MORE than that but you cant require LESS in you definition and still be Christian.

What you described is essentially the ancient heresy of modalism, the belief that God is only one person, a teaching which certain groups of Pentecostals adhere to. Being essentially heretical, it cannot be truly a Christian belief in any way.

:amen:

:confused: I don’t know…I’m very doubtful about them. I suspect that there may be Christians among them, but what they teach is not Christian.
Some of them are probably converts from other churches. I would think that, how ever messed up their theology, if they had been baptized properly before that they joined the “oneness”, how could they not be Christian??

What they teach is not Christian. But may there not be some Christians among them? I believe that they re-baptize people into their own belief.:confused: It’s beyond me…

:slight_smile:

:amen:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.