Are variations allowed in the Liturgy of the Hours?

I have a question concerning praying the liturgy of the hours. When I was taught how to say the liturgy of the hours I was taught to end the prayer Glory be to the Father and to the Son…Amen Alleluia. Except during Advent and Lent.

Recently it has become an issue within or study group (we say the liturgy of the hours as our opening prayer). My questions are: (1) Does the Liturgy of the Hours have the same liturgy as the Mass? (2) Are there variations allowed in the Liturgy of the Hours for instance in saying alleluia after the Glory Be prayer or not saying alleluia after the Glory Be prayer.

Hi Amber,

The Alleluia is skipped only in Lent. We do say it in Advent. The Liturgy is the official prayer of the Church. It consists of the Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours. Both are governed by the Church calendar. Each has its own directives. The Liturgy of the Hours has directives in the front of the book (the first volume in the four-book set). You may obtain a Liturgical directory for the year at most religious goods stores. There is the Ordo which is most complete and also a smaller leaflet that is just for the Liturgy of the Hours, but excludes directives for Mass.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.