Are we all "conceived through the Holy Spirit?"

I was just thinking about Jesus who was … “conceived by the Holy Spirit?”

Then I thought something. Does not God infuse a soul into a child at the time of conception? Is that not like being conceived by the Holy Spirit – or at least “through” the Holy Spirit? “In cooperation with” the Holy Spirit?

How does the Holy Spirit act in our lives, specifically at time of fertilization. Surely concenption isn’t just a biological fact, because if it were then when does the “human” part begin, and how?

I welcome both personal opinions and facts. I’m not looking for debate or arguments, just some ideas to kick this around in the hopes to open our minds and hearts to gain a better appreciation for the role of the Holy Spirit during our conception.

Alan

Not in the same way Jesus was conceived. Our bodies are made biologically and our souls are made by God. We do not exist before, except maybe in the mind of God. Jesus was preexisting.

We are no more conceived by the Holy Spirit (God) than we are by God the Father or Christ. The Triune God *does *play his creative role in creating all life, but the Church uses that terminology (“conceived by the HS”) to convey a very specific idea. Jesus was uniquely conceived solely by an effective action of the HS and secondarily by consent of the BVM. We are conceived by natural means between two people. The language employed by the Church sets Christ’s conception apart from mere natural conceptions.

It is best not to blur the distinction since that can start to confuse people and may lead to wrong conclusions. :slight_smile:

“Conceived by the Holy Spirit” is a sanctified phrase with a specific theological meaning. To use it in the way you suggest would be inappropriate and potentially confusing.

Christ Himself has a human soul which was infused into His body. “Conceived by the Holy Spirit” means His Mother is Ever-Virgin, and He has no human biological father.

The way to say what you mean, is that we are created by God. The soul is created directly by him, and the body, through the mediation of human parents (except in the case of Adam & Eve).

Interesting topic!

For me, I always understood “conceived by the Holy Spirit” to reference the physical … Jesus did not have a human father, but was definately male, so to be fully human, the paternity had to come from somewhere - aka the Holy Spirit.

We receive our souls at conception, but I wouldn’t use the phrase “conceived by” but rather that we are “created”.

My personal beliefs have always tied the start of a new person back to the start of creation, so back to God, the Father, rather than the Holy Spirit, but I have no actual basis for this and look forward to the insights of others.

Each person is created at the moment of their conception. We do not preexist.

All of God’s acts in the world, including creation, involve all three divine Persons. Scripture does, however, ascribe creation to the Father, and certain other actions to the other Persons. Theologians call this “appropriation.” To the Father are appropriated acts of power, to the Son acts of wisdom, to the Holy Ghost acts of love. It does not exclude the other persons from the act, but credits one Person in particular.

My apologies for my poor wording. You are entirely correct.

My meaning was since our soul is created at the moment of conception, it (in my brain) brings to mind the story of the creation of Adam and Eve, and thus the role of God, the Father.

I did not mean to imply that a soul would be created before the conception of that individual. Sorry.

And this is the mod’s cue to say, “Question Answered, Thread Closed.” :thumbsup:

It does raise an interesting question, though… if our souls do not exist until they are created at conception, then how can they be “immortal” or “eternal,” as in “your immortal soul will rot in hell for all eternity?” At one point I came to a “logical” conclusion that something that was truly eternal, must actually exist outside of time itself – which implies it can have no “beginning” in time, either. But I never thought about how that relates to a soul, having a beginning but no end. :hmmm:

Alan

The Holy Spirit is “The Lord the giver of life”. The Holy Spirit works in concert with The Father and The Son and the Trinity, From the Father, Through the Son and in Unity with the Holy Spirit, impart life into the matter that the man and the woman working in concert bring into being. The man and the women made one flesh work with and are brought in a sense into the trinty for the purpose of cooperating in the bringing about of life.

Could God merely “think” a fully fleshed and ensouled person into being? Of course because God can do anything. He chose to allow us to help him because He loves us and wants us to share in all He has and is. He loves us so much that he shares with us the ability to “create” in so far as we provide the material (which of course came from God to begin with ( regression to the first man that is … )), and he provides the spark of life.

Man and God work together to create life because that is part of God’s plan. We imperfectly image the Trinity through the Sacriment of Marriage when two come together and out of love produce life. Such as The Father so loved the Son and The Son in turn loved the Father that the embodiement of their Love was formed: The Holy Spirit ( none of which was “sequential by anymeans” but, I don’t know any other way to explain an ineffible concent other than to paraphrase St. Thomas Aquinas ( Fr. Rober Baron’s paraphrasing of the saint ) ).

Thoughts? :cool:

Immortal in the sense of “humans” does not mean “always was in existance”. Immortal means “once created can not be uncreated”.

The way it was explained to me is this:

God is a line. A line has no begining and no end and goes on forever from the past and forever to the future.

An Animal is like a line segment. It has a definate begining and a definate end.

Man is like a Ray. It has a definate begining but does not end and goes on forever toward eternity.

:cool:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.