Are we allowed to drink Holy Water?

Are we allowed to drink Holy Water or is that not allowed?

You are allowed to.

I wouldn’t do it though. The big Holy water pots with spigots are often not cleaned regularly and often develop scum.

I’d rather eat blessed holy salt - on the tongue.

I have heard Father Rippenger say Holy oil, lightly, on food.

I would not - drink Holy water. But it’s allowed.

Ask for God’s blessing on your food and water though.
Even if it’s the sign of the cross gesture.

You can get a priest to bless a gallon or something.

It’s allowed, but you might want to have a priest bless water that you’ve gotten from home.

I don’t think there’s a law against it, but personally I wouldn’t drink it. Holy water is kept in stagnant containers, so it wouldn’t be very sanitary to drink.

Yes you are.

Bottoms up.

Well if you can’t drink Holy Water… look for an exorcist! :smiley: So definitely drink it to put your mind and soul at peace.

This is common in the orthodox faith.

Blessed salt might be easier.

I’d say it’s better used for the indulgence against venial sin as well as warding off any demonic infestations.

Before I moved, my priest blessed two gallons of water for me that I had purchased from the store. You could do that if you want to drink some holy water for some reason.

I suppose you can @theCardinalbird , but after refilling my bottle at church last week and seeing the muck that had settled at the bottom of the tub I wouldn’t recommend it .

I guess I am the only one wondering why you would want to do so. :confused:

We take home the newly blessed Jordan Water, and keep it in the refrigerator and sip a bit each morning.

But as others said, I don’t think I’d drink water that has been sitting around for a long time. Just bless yourself with it.

It seems like an interesting way to use the Holy Water :slightly_smiling_face:

My parish deacon said “It couldn’t hurt.” when someone asked him about drinking Holy Water. :sweat_smile:

The priests and deacons I know would bless water if someone asks for it.

I had a bottle of Lourdes water a friend brought back for me. It lasted for years, without acquiring any problems.

I have a bottle of regular holy water that I’d fill from the church holy water dispenser. It would get a bit of green crud/cloudy floaties in it after a while, so I don’t think it’s kept sanitary enough to want to ingest.

I went to a priest’s house for a multi-evening series of lectures. We sat around his dining room table, and night after night after night, while we had our lecture/discussion, I’d stare through the kitchen cutout at the back side of his giant water cooler on his countertop. The last evening of the lecture, I was thirsty, so I went into his kitchen to go help myself from his water dispenser, and one of the other attendees was looking at me really weird. I was about eight or nine sips into my water before I realized that his countertop water dispenser had “HOLY WATER” sharpied across the front. :smile: I just hadn’t noticed it, because I’d been staring at it from behind all these weeks…!

Yes. As said it may be best if you get the priest to bless your own water rather than getting some from the common dispenser. Holy Water blessed in the extraordinary form has the advantage of having salt added which might offer added protection for the water against natural evils, like mold or mildew. Bottled water won’t have chlorine in it which would also act to keep it.

Maybe it’s an orthodox custom, but I drink it (if I have enough at home daily) before I eat or drink something else together with a piece of blessed bread in the morning when I do my morning prayers.

Warning, if you like salt feel free, otherwise don’t bother unless your possessed :wink:

Once I wanted to fill my bottle with old rite holy water while at an FSSP church but a bit of new rite holy water was still left inside it so I quickly drunk the bit left and suddenly pulled a right sour face for a few seconds. Then I refilled the bottle. What a shock. Lol

I got out of the habit of blessing myself with holy water in church because it was scummy. All those hands dipping into that water? – gimme a break. I took part of a bacteriology class in college (dropped it) – enough to convince me of hos easy it is to move bacteria around.

I heard recently that there are trillions of bacteria and viruses in the air, in every cubic meter. Shows what a blessing that God gave us an immune system. Most virus infections are in the oceans, involving one-cell organisms. – not to drift off the subject.

From a water quality standpoint, holy water is certainly not certified for drinking, E.Coli contamination is so easy, it’s no problem for me to skip the h.w. in church. Safe to say it’s never test for pathogens. Quaint, but probably generally unsafe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.