Are we born pure?

Are we, as infants, born pure, free from sin? Or are we tainted by sin the first minute we are born? What EXACTLY is original sin and can we overcome it?I know this is a broad and general question, and we could discuss this further but I deeply lack in Catholic theology.

From my understanding, original sin is the effect on us as a result of the sin of Adam and Eve and not that we are personally guilty of sin that we ourselves did not commit. Adam and Eve lost certain gifts after eating of the tree of Knowledge. Two of these gifts that I remember at the moment are immortality and the gift of integrity (which essentially makes it easy to not sin to put it simply).

For more this site may be helpful (it’s kind of long though):
therealpresence.org/archives/God/God_013.htm

We are not born pure. We are all stained by original sin from our conception. It is the lack of the necessary state of grace to live the supernatural life of God and be with him in heaven. It is not a personal guilt, as if we were guilty of the sin of Adam. It can be thought more of man being merely man, possessing only his natural life and powers, disordered toward selfishness and sin.

We overcome it through only one means: Baptism. Ordinarily, Baptism is through water and the Trinitarian batismal formula, although there are two other ways wherein the unbaptized also receive the grace of baptism: through desire and through blood.

Through Baptism, the guilt of original sin is washed away and we gain sanctifying grace–the supernatural life of God, the grace of adoption. Only with sanctifying grace can one live with God in heaven. It is why the Catholic Church insists that infants be baptized as soon as possible.

Translate: If you’re lucky enough to be born to practicing Catholic, you get washed of your original sin as a child and get a free pass to heaven if you die very young!:thumbsup: If you were born to any other religion through no fault of your own and die as a child? Well unfortunately you might go to hell. How Strange. (I do not believe this but thats what his post implies.) Do not get me wrong I support Baptism and believe in its power however it should not punish children who were not baptized.

Peace.

Will you please knock it off?

It’s a valid point

You’re just being argumentative just as you are on the other threads while we are just trying to properly answer an honest question.

So knock it off and go away.

I’m allowed to introduce new ideas to the op, just like you. You’re sounding very politically correct. Don’t ask questions.

I said go away. Open your own thread.

Why are you so insistent on censorship in a public forum?:confused:

I sure hate to break this to you, ma’am, but it’s the law of the Church! :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=IbaHf3soiyQ

We’re evil from the moment we are conceived. Original sin is a rift that impairs us of fellowship with God, and our nature from it is highly imperfect as a result. Not only can we be tempted from exterior sources, but we can be tempted from the interior as well. Original sin cannot be overcome except through divine intervention.

Baptism produces a state of sanctifying grace for the one who receives it. Their imperfect nature and ability to choose evil remains.

You see I was right in the prior thread porthos, despite your attempts to silence me.

@Trinity:

Some spiritual works of mercy, such as the administration of sacraments, are performed as though it entirely depended on ourselves, whereas in prayer - another spiritual work of mercy - it is given as though not at all.

No you were not. You are not.

Go away.

Hmmmm unpleasant

Only to you. Go away.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says that we should leave unbaptized children to the mercy of God. God is infinite and knows what He is about. We should leave the precious infants to Him.

We can overcome the disharmony in us that was caused by original sin by the Incarnation, Life, Death, and Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

He gave us the sacraments and taught us to pray so that we can pick up our cross and follow Him.

I highly recommend this book: Theology for Beginners by F. J. Sheed. It is clearly written, and I keep it on my shelf to re-read certain parts for further pondering.

Yes, we are born pure. We become impure by our thoughts and actions. This is nearly all learned.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.