Are we Catholics really such negative, angry people as some say?

[quote="estesbob, post:40, topic:225654"]
Agreed. In fact people identifying themselves as Catholics who always are quick to disagree with everything the church says are rampant in CAF.

[/quote]

There are also people on CAF who seem to believe that being Catholic gives you right to be mean, judgmental and show no manners to anyone else. In fairness, I think that is common in virtually all religions as well.

[quote="Rascalking, post:41, topic:225654"]
There are also people on CAF who seem to believe that being Catholic gives you right to be mean, judgmental and show no manners to anyone else. In fairness, I think that is common in virtually all religions as well.

[/quote]

This is why I would love to meet practicing non-Christians to see what they are like, how they behave. I wonder if they ooze serenity all the time :) But then, I'm suspicious of the new-agey types with their fake smiles and 'everything is groovy and let's just lurve each other' attitudes. I've encountered that before and was not impressed.

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:42, topic:225654"]
This is why I would love to meet practicing non-Christians to see what they are like, how they behave. I wonder if they ooze serenity all the time :) But then, I'm suspicious of the new-agey types with their fake smiles and 'everything is groovy and let's just lurve each other' attitudes. I've encountered that before and was not impressed.

[/quote]

I'd rather someone give me a "fake" smile than act rude to my face.

[quote="Rascalking, post:43, topic:225654"]
I'd rather someone give me a "fake" smile than act rude to my face.

[/quote]

I don't know, I've been backstabbed by people with smiles on their faces, I'd rather have someone tell me to take a flying leap to my face than work behind my back, with a knife, while smiling all the while.

And rude is a matter of interpretation. I'm SURE quite a few people on this forum think I am rude, but I am not cruel and not brutal. I don't belittle people.

Well, except if you cut me off on a highway entrance ramp....

:tsktsk::mad:

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:44, topic:225654"]
I don't know, I've been backstabbed by people with smiles on their faces, I'd rather have someone tell me to take a flying leap to my face than work behind my back, with a knife, while smiling all the while.

And rude is a matter of interpretation. I'm SURE quite a few people on this forum think I am rude, but I am not cruel and not brutal. I don't belittle people.

Well, except if you cut me off on a highway entrance ramp....

:tsktsk::mad:

[/quote]

:D.

I'm talking about everyday interactions with strangers, co-workers, casual friends in the grocery line/etc. These people can't stab you in back because they're not that close to you. People like that should put whatever mood they're in beside and be nice. It's not being "fake" or "phony" it's about acting like a grown up and not a spoiled 12 year old drama queen who likes to ruin other peoples days.

And rude isn't a matter of interpretation. Rude is rude,. It's rude to cut someone off on the driveway ramp. It's rude to interrupt someone when they're talking to you.These are just basics that mom really should have taught you as a child.

Not to belabor the point, RascalKing, but we hear a lot about “hate” and “vitriol” in our everyday lives, and sometimes even polite dissent and debate is termed “hate.” I find that as our society gets ruder, the term is applied wrongly many times. People can stand in a check-out line talking on a cell phone and never think twice about it…but if you counter one of their mistaken beliefs with a fact, you are termed a “hater.” So that is why I said that “rude” is up for interpretation. We used to all agree on what “rude” was but we do so much that is uncivilized.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:46, topic:225654"]
Not to belabor the point, RascalKing, but we hear a lot about "hate" and "vitriol" in our everyday lives, and sometimes even polite dissent and debate is termed "hate." I find that as our society gets ruder, the term is applied wrongly many times. People can stand in a check-out line talking on a cell phone and never think twice about it...but if you counter one of their mistaken beliefs with a fact, you are termed a "hater." So that is why I said that "rude" is up for interpretation. We used to all agree on what "rude" was but we do so much that is uncivilized.

[/quote]

Julianne said it. Too many people have abandoned Truth in favor of what feels good. It's like choosing perpetual childhood over responsible adulthood and it's Rules for Living. Many people choose to take the easy way out and to not grow up, then try to rationalize the behavior to save the ego from bruising.

I love the way how people who try to convince the public to raise it's standards of clean behavior are labeled as "haters." Quite hilarious.

[quote="ManOnFire, post:47, topic:225654"]
Julianne said it. Too many people have abandoned Truth in favor of what feels good. It's like choosing perpetual childhood over responsible adulthood and it's Rules for Living. Many people choose to take the easy way out and to not grow up, then try to rationalize the behavior to save the ego from bruising.

I love the way how people who try to convince the public to raise it's standards of clean behavior are labeled as "haters." Quite hilarious.

[/quote]

Yes, but "Truth" doesn't give you premission to be as mean as you like. Some people are labeled as "haters" because - well - they are. People don't understand what "hate the sin, love the sinner means". The truth needs to be mixed with love.

I just posted this comment on a professional forum I am involved in'
"Writing is a funny thing, it's tone is up to the reader and based on the language and syntax we use."

[quote="JillyAnn, post:49, topic:225654"]
I just posted this comment on a professional forum I am involved in'
"Writing is a funny thing, it's tone is up to the reader and based on the language and syntax we use."

[/quote]

That is very true. I think I would also add that the tone can also be based on the reader's background and experience. For example, the writer could have a sarcastic sense of humour. One reader with a similar sense of humour or a background where sarcasm is considered funny would get the point immediately and find it hilarious. Another reader who is more serious and sensitive or who is quick to be offended based on his/her personal experience could take it totally the wrong way.

This thread is too negative. I'm leaving.

Don't judge, Nec5:rolleyes:

[quote="spunjalebi, post:52, topic:225654"]
Don't judge, Nec5:rolleyes:

[/quote]

Stop judging that I'm judging and I'll stop judging that you're judging my judging.

Maybe you should stop judging my judging because I only responded to your judging our judging in the first place:cool:

[quote="Nec5, post:51, topic:225654"]
This thread is too negative. I'm leaving.

[/quote]

:rotfl:

I have come to the conclusion that some Catholics simply want to be the rule police, and knowing that they can't, seek to make everyone else's lives troublesome. I see that in so many topics here in CAF, and I'm sure that there are even crazier people in real life.

Now, imagine if people were just as forward IRL as they are sometimes here on CAF about issues such as modesty, sex, marriage, etc. No one would want to be Catholic because there would be no charity.

We have the right to be dissatisfied, disappointed, upset, and outraged when appropriate. But what good does it do to want to be the rule police? I have taught young kids that being the rule police doesn't do anything if one can't follow the "rules" them selves. There's a lot of people who project, that's for sure.

Isn’t it about education at the end of the day? The reason Catholics can be seen as frumpy sometimes is because we live in a world where the values we see as important are being eroded and challenged constantly. We have to have consistent and complete reasons why we feel that the way we live as Catholic is better for everyone and that comes from an educated laity (as Blessed Cardinal Newman said).

Pharasees! Jesus encountered this even 2,000 years ago.

[quote="spunjalebi, post:56, topic:225654"]
I have come to the conclusion that some Catholics simply want to be the rule police, and knowing that they can't, seek to make everyone else's lives troublesome. I see that in so many topics here in CAF, and I'm sure that there are even crazier people in real life.

Now, imagine if people were just as forward IRL as they are sometimes here on CAF about issues such as modesty, sex, marriage, etc. No one would want to be Catholic because there would be no charity.

We have the right to be dissatisfied, disappointed, upset, and outraged when appropriate. But what good does it do to want to be the rule police? I have taught young kids that being the rule police doesn't do anything if one can't follow the "rules" them selves. There's a lot of people who project, that's for sure.

[/quote]

Could you give us examples of "rules" that catholcis dont have to worry about and disobeying of which Catholics should not comment on?

[quote="spunjalebi, post:56, topic:225654"]

[/quote]

What I do every time I think that Catholics are too judgmental I get online and read feminist or atheist blogs. Believe me nobody but nobody beats privileged young feminists and atheists at taking umbrage. I challenge you to casually assert that gay marriage is sinful or that Jesus is the answer in front of a group of young feminists and see if you can’t get a couple of dour-faced rule police to emerge. If it doesn’t prove to you that Catholics, all in all, aren’t that incredibly judgmental then at least it will give you a entertaining screed to laugh at. :)

As for Catholics being negative I have to agree but I believe that it is simply a symptom of living in the world we do. I think that Louis CK has it right, everything is amazing and nobody is happy. We need to return to a simpler time perhaps to truly become appreciative of how amazing the world is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.