Are we dead after we died?

**Referring to the thread „Praying for the dead“
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=306488&goto=newpost
I open this new thread: Are we dead after we died?
And of course I answer it right away with a firm and convinced: Definitely no!!! And that precisely is what lets many who live in deep faith - let tem look forward in joy, even thought there remains still a fear of dieing.

On the cross Jesus said to the crucified on His right: Yet today you will be at my fathers. (Luke 23,43)
Jesus did not say in some eternities you will be there, but He said TODAY.

And on many other Bible-verses Jesus explained that never anyone is dead; as in John 11,25: “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

Let’s ask ourselves: Do we???

So dead? – No! NEVER!

Jesus after his death and before His resurrection, went to hell to tear out of the claws of hell all those, who until Gods salvation where not able to get into heaven.

Let’s think this to an end:
Isn’t it really very very calming and pleasable, that we actually KNOW that we will NEVER be dead!?

Finally – REST IN PEACE – actually in nonsense, for then we really don’t “rest” but are more lively than ever before, for now we see God. And happier than ever before, for: What no eye ever had seen and no ear ever had heard we experience now 1Cor 2,9.

God is God of the living, not of the dead. To Him, all are alive. Also, we are shown the afterlife in the parable of Lazarus and the rich man. Both are shown alive, yet one in comfort, the other in torment. As our works are being tried after our death, we escape as through fire, according to Saint Paul. One who is dead does not escape. Numerous are the references to show that we have passed into the next life, rather than simply being snuffed out, lying unconscious, or ceasing to exist, as some believe.

and that’s why I think R.I.P. or rest in peace, if of no meaning at all, for in Gods hemisphere, we’d do anything - but not rest. Rest of what?! We have no body that would get tired then. We regain that body not before last judgment-day. (so I don’t know why we’d want to have a body then :wink: ) Never mind :smiley:

We all know of so many Saints who appeared to living people in modern times - today.
There are such appearances in the Bible too. Just think of the appearance of Elijah and Moses in Mark 9:5

**Someone wrote in the thread praying for the dead

There is no use in praying for the dead. It’s written that even the memory of them must be forgotten. Read Ecclesiastes 9:5-10

But here we must know; Ecclesiastes, “the teacher” in it’s literary form, is a book of meditation and reflecting of a wise man of his time, though it’s precisely matching with our time too.

The verse in Ecclesiastes 9:5 “For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even the memory of them is forgotten.”
Tells us here the thinking and feeling of his time (as in ours) and not the belief of Kohelet – but in the end he opens logical consequences fully in the sense of the later Joh 11:25, for this only corresponds with the word of the Lord.

The verses before, like Ecc 9:5, is merely prearrangement for the later pointed out godly answers.

So here too – one can’t pick a passage without it’s context. Still valid is alone John 11:25 = Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.