Are we ever really worthy enough?

My wife and I were meditating on this together the other day and I am just wondering your thoughts on the subject.

Are we truly ever worthy of receiving God into our bodies in the Eucharist?

What a gift it is!

My opinion is that, even if we are in a state of grace, and even if we have JUST had a good and worthy confession, no. We are never worthy. But God allows it anyway. As a matter of fact, God WANTS us to partake.

In a state of grace, of course.

[quote="SonSearcher, post:1, topic:316203"]
My wife and I were meditating on this together the other day and I am just wondering your thoughts on the subject.

What a gift it is!

[/quote]

It pleased the Father to give us such a glorious adoption in Christ, as to partake in the divine nature as members of one body - the body of Christ, true God and true man.

It is a gift, and more than a gift, it is a mystical wedding feast, and the bride is our soul, and He is the Divine Bridegroom.

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his bride, and the two will become one flesh. This is a great sacrament, but I speak of Christ and His Church.

Such love will never cease to amaze the world and to leave the angels spellbound.

No, we are never worthy. Only by God's grace are we allowed this gift. His mercy is what allows us to receive such a gift.

No. We are only human and as such compared to God and His angels we are VERY sinful and selfish creatures not matter how holy we may try to be. Neither were we worthy of Jesus' sacrifice for us upon the Cross. They are really one and the same--the Eucharist and Jesus' sacrifice for us (and first of all though the Father. Please look that up if you don't understand.) Jesus died for us anyway though and even if it were only for you, your wife or ANY one person, He still would have done it to save you/them. He loves us EACH perfectly and individually--meaning He loves us each for who we are and I mean who we TRULY are--not who we ourselves or anyone else thinks we are. Only God truly knows us as only He can see into the very depths of our souls.

God makes we unworthy servants, worthy.

A Prayer of St Basil the Great
I know, O Lord, that I partake of Thy immaculate Body and precious Blood unworthily, and that I am guilty, and eat and drink judgment to myself by not discerning the Body and Blood of Thee my Christ and God. But taking courage from Thy compassion I approach Thee, for Thou hast said: “He who eats My flesh and drinks My Blood abides in Me and I in him.” Therefore have compassion, O Lord, and do not make an example of me, a sinner, but deal with me according to Thy mercy; and let these Holy Things be for my healing and purification and enlightenment and protection and salvation and sanctification of body and soul, for the turning away of every phantasy and all evil practice and diabolical activity working subconsciously in my members, for confidence and love towards Thee, for reformation of life and security, for an increase of virtue and perfection, for fulfillment of the commandments, for communion with the Holy Spirit, as a provision for eternal life, and as an acceptable defense at Thy dread Tribunal, not for judgment or for condemnation.

[quote="SonSearcher, post:1, topic:316203"]

What a gift it is!

[/quote]

Nope. And yes, it is a great gift! :)

No, don't we pray each time "Lord, I am not worthy...."?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.