Are we in the Last Days?

I believe we are living in the last days before Jesus returns. My pastor believes we are heading into a persecution phase. Has any one else been thinking this? Is your pastor preaching anything like this?:hmmm:

Personally, I’ve always felt that worry about the end of days felt like a very Protestant thing to do and I feel its very fatalistic. The most beautiful thing, to me, about Christianity as a whole isn’t necessarily the promise of a second coming but the encouragement to try to make the world you live in today a better place.

No I don’t think so. There are far too many unresolved conflicts in the world for the plug to be pulled.

I believe God will allow the struggles of man to act themselves out, until there is nothing other than the Catholic Church versus obstinate rebellion, and then the end will come. This will likely take at least another millennium or two. You have the religions of the East. Islam. Protestantism. Schismatics. Hinduism. New Age Religion. These all need sorted out and converted. The Church still has a lot of work to do before the narrative of human history is brought to a closure.

I read this excellent post about this (from another thread on CAF but can’t find the thread now) onepeterfive.com/for-our-present-persecution-a-fitting-historical-milieu/
about the persecution…I no longer worry much about the “last days” thing cause it’s much more likely that my own “last day” would come up sooner…And Jesus said we would not know the day or the time. No preaching on this at my church, would be interesting.

I think people throughout history thought it was the last days. This isn’t new just to us in 2015.
He’s going to come life a thief in the night.

Back in the late 60’s , people were getting worked up in a Frenzy ,
The End was any day now !! Rivers of Blood they said,
Well , wars &. Nuclear obliterated planet Earth were Doomed ,
And here we are in 2015 , and not a lot has Changed,
I don’t think it will be for a while yet,
Enjoy your Life , Give Praise to the Lord , and Walk humbly with with your faith

End is nearer is a myth falsely propagated not only now but even 2000 years back.At that time it was Jesus himself who said so. He said that this 'generation ’ shall not pass till it is over (M 24-34) The poor, simple ,followers believed so but after passage of time understood that it is not so 'near ’ and slowly reconciled the fact.The church seeks to justify saying that what is meant by generation is not the normal generation as understood by the ordinary people ! That is, similar argument relating to creation of earth in 6 ‘days’ .
Anyhow it is bit early to think about end times. Scientific study reveals that Sun’s gases can burn for another 60 million years giving energy to earth.After this only God will end the earth.

Hi Sisty Elder

I agree with you. Iran is getting the bomb. Christians are being persecuted right now - no need to wait on that. Look at all the laws that are being passed in our U.S. Secularism is taking over, that’s for sure. There’s always hope, but it doesn’t look good to me.

I agree with Kendra DZ190. With all the horrible problems the world has been through, many generations must have felt like it might be the end. Of course, NOW we have the means to actually cause this to happen.

Our priests are not talking about this. I also agree with everyone who says that we shouldn’t spend a lot of time worrying about this. We live our life day by day. The only thing I can say biblically is that the Temple is supposed to be rebuilt before Jesus could return, but even the Protestants never talk about this.

The Lord will come back when it’s in the fullness of time; like the first time He came. Yes, like a thief in the night.

Protestants hope in the rapture. Catholics don’t believe in this. It seems so apparent from scripture, but my priest said it’s a lot of nonsense. I don’t know, Paul seems to be pretty sure about it! How could you possibley explain away: One will be left and one will be taken?? Don’t mean to start a new thread.

Anyway, hang in there. We’re all in the same boat.

God bless you
Fran

Before I really settled on being Catholic for sure as I was only baptized and barely raised Catholic I was caught up in the end times.

That was about 4 to 5 years ago and honestly things then aren’t comparable to now.

From 2011 to 2015 the world to my perception has changed a lot.

I was freaking out about the rapture and was watching left behind and all that.

Nuclear holocaust scares the poop out of me that’s one I really am deeply terrified about.

Natural disasters scare me too but it’s not the same as a Nuclear bomb hitting or living in fall out and watching your family and children die of radiation poisoning.

I always felt what Mass or to be more accurate the New Mass or Ordinary Form taught was live everyday like it is your last day on earth or like the day Christ returns.
In other words live life by the horns and continually repent everyday and everyday pick up your cross.

Another thing you have to understand is that American Evangelical Christianity is a business.
I am serious.
The American culture of Christianity is a money making industry.

A lot of Pastors will put out one or two books a year and scare the poop out of people about the end times.

It’s all about selling books with cool graphic covers that are poorly written or have poor theology, it’s all about elitism my brand of Christianity is the only authentic Christianity even though it is sort of vague and generic and opinions very individual to individual with certain parallel themes.
It’s all about getting people to prep for the end even when most of them think they will vanish form the air and be in heaven.

It’s a trend and yes there are those who have authentic belief and truly love Jesus but this once saved always saved is really more selective than people think.

Once saved always saved
You have to first proclaim Jesus Christ as your lord and savior and believe the core doctrines of Christianity and you are saved by faith and grace.
No sin ever committed no matter how grave can remove your salvation all past present and future sins are forgiven upon belief.

If you don’t believe in OSAS you can not be saved and Catholics or other types of Christians like Orthodox are not saved either which contradicts the second nature of OSAS underlined since those would be categorized as present and future sins.

I believe in America you will see a Lord of the World situation here pretty soon but I don’t think religion will be outlawed until 20 years down the road.

This is a Freemason country after all.

I think were living in some bad times but if you look up end time books and predictions every decade has them just about.

The 70’s had The Late Great Planet Earth,

The 90’s and early 2000"s had the Left Behind series etc.

The real tragedy is the that many people believe in the rapture and when stuff hit’s the fan a lot of them are going to be disappointed, jaded if not loose their faith.

I believe in a merciful God but I do not believe God is that merciful as to beam up all Christians to heaven before the end times go full blown.

We are called to endure.

Fran I always interpreted that line of scripture as being parallel with the parables of the Angels harvesting and separating the wheat from the weeds.

It’s about final judgment and separating the sheep from the goats.

“No one knows the day nor the hour. Not even the angels in Heaven nor the Son of Man but only the Father who is in heaven”.

Hi Governator

Thanks for the interpretation. That’s what the priest said. Will have to look into this a bit more - it’s not something that ever really interested me.

Now, the OSAS doctrine does interest me a lot. Pretty interesting stuff. If I walk away from Jesus, that’s how I’ve lost my salvation- not by sinning of course. There’s no arguing with them about this. I think a lot of pastors cause people to lose their soul. OR maybe God is so big he forgives them for what they have never been taught? I do believe you need to keep Jesus close at all times.

Must read Lord of the World. I’m rather up in years and remember the 60’s and 70’s and all the rest. We’re in the Brave New World, that’s for sure!

God bless you
Fran

Yep. These have always been End Times. The early Christians have thought they were living in End Times too, I’m sure. It will be the end, at least for each individual, so I wouldn’t enjoy my life too much.

“…work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” - Philippians 2:12

I do think we’re in the Last Days, or at least heading there, as evidenced by the fact that the latest satanic moves in the Culture War have already started to become explicitly anti-Christian and not just “secular” or new age-y. All that was just preparation, but at this point the groundwork has already been laid and the enemy is ready to attack. I’d agree with your pastor that we’re about to enter a persecution phase now.

That said, I do think that these Last “Days” might last quite a while, maybe even thousands of years. I’d also agree with someone on the thread who said there’s still a lot to be sorted out and I wouldn’t risk any predictions.

Hello All:

I was raised in Evangelicalism, and we were profoundly influenced by literature like ‘The Late Great Planet Earth’ etc. I grew up in fear of the end of the world and was waiting on the immanent return of Christ and the rapture.

Like many of you, I look around today and wonder how much longer, the biblical signs seem to be lined up. However I am not plagued with fear; I know that all things are in God’s timing and I take comfort in that.

What I do believe is that we have to live our lives in such a way as to be ready for Christ’s return.

Peace,

Deacon Del

When hasn’t The Church been persecuted?

Yes and no. In a way we are always living in our own end times, but otherwise the world as we know it will just carry on fine without our help once we die…

Each of us has an end time, at which each of us will be judged. Live each day as if it’s your last, put God first and be Christ to others. End of worry. End of problem.:smiley:

Question: Are we living in the Last Days?
*Answer: *Yes, and we always will be.

The implicit second question, What can we do about it? has been answered by Delallan (#15 on this thread):

We wish.

One-hundred generations have longed for His coming and not seen it.

That said, there is in no way a requirement that all world conflicts be settled before He can show up. Conflict is the default human state.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.