Are we physically healed?

Hello,

I used to work with a gentleman who claimed himself non-demoninational. One of his assertions is that “by His stripes we are healed” (Is. 53:5; 1 Pt. 2:24) meant a physical healing. I tried to tell him that those words indicated a spiritual healing, but he wouldn’t listen. In other words, he asserted once you accept God into your heart as your personal Lord and Savior (in the fundamentalist Protestant meaning) then you cannot get sick. I am pretty sure he also believed in OSAS. So did that mean that if he got a cold that that was evidence of never having truly accepted Jesus into your heart?

What do the Protestants here think. Once you accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, are you immune from all known pathogens and physical abnormalities? If you also believe in OSAS, when you get a cold how does that affect your faith?

bump

God CAN and does heal us of some things physically, but to claim if you get sick you aren’t saved is silly. The verse is about spiritual healing.

Sorry never being as a protestant that God tells me i won’t fall sick. Thar gentleman was confuse btw the difference about physical and spiritual healing.

Hello,

Yes, of course the verse is about spiritual healing. And yes, of course God can and does heal people physically (just look at Lourdes). But I was wondering if any other Protestant thought that these verses meant physical healing.

It was a new one on me, too!

There is a theological movement variously called “Word of Faith,” “the prosperity gospel,” “name it and claim it,” and other (sometimes derogatory) names that does indeed claim that the saved should not be subject to physical illness, or material poverty either. (One of the less flattering names applied to the movement by others is that of the “health and wealth gospel.”)

The mindset seems to be almost a Christian Scientist one, in that they do not deny that a Christian might start to feel sick or be presently in a condition of poverty. However, these are regarded as deceptions from Satan that must be rejected in favor of claiming by faith the promises that God has made. The notion is not merely that God might choose to heal or grant material resources to a faithful believer, but that God already has, and one has merely to believe that one has already received these things to bring them into reality.

These ideas are rejected by the vast majority of Protestants, sometimes even with the label of heresy. So calling them Protestant beliefs isn’t terribly accurate, though they do of course fall under the general Protestant spectrum.

Here’s a Wikipedia article with more on the movement:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_Faith

Usagi

Hello,

Thanks for the link Usagi. The gentleman I talked with believed in the health part, but most definitely not the wealth part. He thought that money was of the devil and possessions to be scorned. I guess he just picked and chose whatever he felt like - he did affirm that it doesn’t matter what you believe, we should all just get along (a chorus of kumbaya plays in the background now :D).

I know my parents adopted a belief system back in the 70’s (oops! My age is showing:blush: ) & it drove me crazy!!

Even at the tender age of 11 or 12 I knew this just couldn’t be right. Thankfully they pulled away from that belief system. My father has since passed away and my mother, like myself, is seriously considering converting to the Catholic Church.:thumbsup:

I almost forgot…

About the passage Is 53:5, I guess it could pertain to physical as well as spiritual healing couldn’t it?

Not in a name-it-and-claim-it-and-don’t-confess-you’re-sick-God-wants-you-to-be-in-perfect-health-&-to-be-fabulously-wealthy kind of way. Of course we’re in much more urgent need of spiritual healing but it can’t hurt to pray for physical healing knowing that Christ died for this too.

Or am I way off on this?

I knew a guy in college who believed this. It was funny.:smiley:

My mission in college with this guy was to try to get him to actually say he had a cold when…he had a cold. He could not do this. For him to admit he had a cold would be a negative confession and a lack of faith.

Funny thing is, he always got healed of his colds in around 14 days. Praise God.:smiley:

BTW…“Word of Faith” (a name for this) is an offshoot of the Pentecostal movement that more mainstream Pentecostals/Charismatics as well as Evangelicals in general consider at best heterodox. There is no connection with this movement and OSAS (generally mainstream Pentecostals/Charismatics range from neutral to opposed on OSAS).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.